OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 06:59 

Hi the names Chris from Middle TN interested in long pips or short pips or to stick with no pips currently I use no pips just smooth racket my grip is the penhold grip my style is defense with a tiny bit of offense so I mostly block and when my opponent gets tired in this situation then I start to try to play offense I’m assuming long pips are defensive based and short pips are offensive based so should I choose long pips? Or just stick with no pips or am I misinterpreting what long pips even do?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2020, 12:23 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Hi fireboy,

What is your current rubber by the way? There are inverted rubbers good for defense. Best if you can share a video of you on how you actually play.

Welcome!

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 00:37 

Unfortunately my house in TN is being completely gutted and rebuilt the blade is Butterfly B302CS and the rubber is Yuki 2.1mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2020, 00:57 
Super User

You are misinterpreting. There are offensive and defensive means regardless of what equipment you use.

IMO, stick with the "smooth". The best way to learn how to counter a stroke is to first learn how to do it yourself.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2021, 22:17 

Blade: viscaria
FH: diginix
BH: Donic Bluefire Waldner
fireboy459 wrote:
Hi the names Chris from Middle TN interested in long pips or short pips or to stick with no pips currently I use no pips just smooth racket my grip is the penhold grip my style is defense with a tiny bit of offense so I mostly block and when my opponent gets tired in this situation then I start to try to play offense

If you are a penholder & mostly block, using just smooth rubber is the biggest suicidal joke & a recipe to get slaughtered. But of course no smooth rubber player would recommend to you that you switch away from inverted to short pips because then you will become a nuisance & harder to play against. (I should know better, I was brainwashed for my first 15 years in table-tennis myself).

If you are traditional penholder you want to switch to short pips. On other side, use inverted. This is for changeup & also for good spinny serves. If you prefer a heavy racket then use a thick inverted rubber. This is a best combo & learn RPH & looping from backhand & later twiddle & do Liu Guoliang.

If you prefer a lite blade then use a 1 mm inverted on other side

You should never leave the other side unused. If you never use other side, then instead of a paint sheet use a no sponge (or OX) blocking type long pips. The trick is making the long-pips haters think that you will use it a lot in a match even if you don't. You do this by using your long pips in the initial few points of each game. The very thought of your using long pips a lot would be enough to drive a long-pips hater insane.