OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2021, 23:25 

Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro
I recently started playing table tennis regularly (about a year ago). I used basic premade bats until about 4 months ago when I bought my first custom bat Stiga Classic Allround with Kokutaku Tuple 007 rubbers. My game has improved quite a bit since then. The one problem that I find with this bat is occasional elbow pain that resembles tennis elbow syndrome (lateral epicondylitis), although not as strong. I don't normally feel this pain while playing but start feeling it when resting or doing something else and I am sure it comes from table tennis as I don't play tennis anymore. I read somewhere that it is due to the Stiga's hollow bat handle and some vibration.

About my playing style:

I am left handed and in my 50's. I play the shakehand grip style and prefer a flared handle with some overgrip on it due to my sweaty palms. I play about 3 days a week for about 3 hours each time. I mostly learned playing table tennis from playing with different people, watching others, and also taking advice from a friend or two. I prefer to play mid distance from the table and sometimes far. I saw a coach once and she told me that I play mostly defensive style and she recommended that I get a type of Chinese sticky rubbers (can't remember the name). My forehand topspin is my strongest shot and I was told on a few occasions that I have a good touch. My backhand needs improving, as I moved to table tennis from regularly playing tennis for about over a decade. My backhand swing has been too long, resembling a single-handed tennis backhand. Currently I am in the process of adapting and shortening my backhand swing. I think I am somewhere in the range of an intermediate player. I play in a type of community center with free play.

In short I am looking for something similar that I already have, albeit without dreaded vibrations and elbow pain. I am considering spending around £60 to £100 for a second bat/rubbers setup. Thanks in advance for advice.

Last edited by Mark Solaris on 19 Nov 2021, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2021, 09:58 

Blade: Joola Fever
FH: Rhyzer 48
BH: Rhyzer 43
Something you could consider is getting a lighter setup, this means you won't have to grip so hard thus heavily alleviating the effort from your forearm (most likely the cause of your tennis elbow). Look around for blades in the 75-85g range. As for using a chinese sticky rubber like your coach suggested, usually these rubbers have quite dense hard sponges meaning they are heavy but you could try if you want.

If i was you i would get some sort of lightweight blade(maybe carbon or balsa) with 2x euro rubbers in 1.8 or 2mm to reduce weight. Also make an effort not to grip so hard, this really will help your tennis elbow. Can also buy some rubber band forearm extensor trainers and a grip trainer for your flexors. Strengthening these will do wonders for tennis elbow.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2021, 19:04 

Thanks for advice, will keep in mind your suggestions

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 18:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Try this blade:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32864701460.html

It's lighter and maybe slightly faster than a Stiga Allround Classic, and has excellent feel.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2021, 23:27 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

With Iskandar's recommended blade, you could get YinHe Mercury II rubbers from the same seller and order assembly for a dollar more. (Assembly is listed under Products > Pre-assembled > Custom)

From memory I'd say that Mercury II is softer and perhaps a little stickier than the Kokutaku rubbers I tried (868 and Tulpe/007), but quite similar. Never tested them side by side, so I may be mistaken.

The Mercury II is listed stupidly cheap today ($1.99/sheet), but it is good rubber (assuming they are selling the real thing). At that price you may want to stock up...

With regards to "the real thing": It is good price even for "fake" rubbers, but Mercury II is sort of "budget range" anyway and not the typical target for fakes. Judging from the way it is advertised, it may also be a special "new user" discount which for me would disappear when I log in. The "previous price" of $9.98 is around what I'd expect to pay.

As always with AliExpress, take note of the shipping cost also. It may be a significant amount, depending on where you live.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 04:51 

Thank you Iskandar and Keme for your recommendations. I have never shopped at AliExpress due to some low ratings and negative reviews that I read about. I may change my mind at some point in future as some products are so much cheaper than regular online shops in the UK. However, considering that I am quite new in this field, your suggestions give me some ideas about what to look for in terms of bats and rubbers, so thank you for that. For a time being I plan to look for my second bat here at the local market and so far I am considering this couple options:
https://www.customtabletennis.co.uk/pro ... ennis-bat/
https://www.customtabletennis.co.uk/pro ... ennis-bat/
I was tempted to go for the second option due to choice of two different types of rubbers, but after reading that it takes a long time to master LP rubber I am not so sure any more.
Would appreciate any suggestions.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 10:30 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Mark Solaris wrote:
In short I am looking for something similar that I already have, albeit without dreaded vibrations and elbow pain. I am considering spending around £60 to £100 for a second bat/rubbers setup. Thanks in advance for advice.

One of the problems you'll have with reducing vibrations is you'll also loose the "feel" of the ball on the bat which is needed for touch play and "feel" in general. I've never had problems with vibrations though unless using rubbers without sponge. Another thing you may need to consider is sponge hardness. If you go down the Chinese tacky rubber route, in my experience, Chinese rubbers of that nature tend to have a harder sponge which may again transmit more vibration and be heavier too. That said, too soft a sponge and the ball could bottom out on the blade under harder shots and again you'll feel vibration. With the lightness of the ball though, I've seldom heard of people saying how the vibration of the ball on bat causes discomfort, so you've been unfortunate to experience that.

Probably more of an issue, as dorse53 noted, is the weight of your setup. I too used to play tennis and after elbow surgery I switched to a lighter tennis racket which helped. Maybe a lighter setup would help you. There is a thread on this forum which lists the weight of uncut rubbers which could be a good starting point. Some sellers also list the weight of blades on their websites. I've found balsa blades good for blocking and hitting, not so good for spin or touch play as they can be a bit bouncy with less feel. Less effort needed by you and balsa is quite light.

Regarding buying rubbers. The Mercury II which has been referred to can be bought from Presports in Malaysia. I've bought from them before and as long as you understand Customs and Duty (there are threads on this forum about them) and keep your order under a certain price you should be fine. Here's a link https://presports.com/pimple-in/2275-yi ... ubber.html at £3.25 a sheet.

If you want to buy another premade, looking at the suggestions you have made, you might also want to consider this Table Tennis setup here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought this for someone I coach who's starting out on his table tennis journey and wanted a "proper" setup. I find it to be controllable, not fast and you can spin with it. It's a decent all round setup, something you can use to improve your technique with and it's reasonably priced and available in the UK. Personally, I found it a little too bouncy for me and lacking a bit of feel, but that factor may actually be better for you with your elbow problems.

The other option you have on trying to decide what to get is to borrow other peoples setups and see for yourself.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 19:18 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

My thoughts:
"House brand" blades may be fine, or not. I never saw anything about the "Custom" blades from Customtabletennis, but I haven't done any research either. The blades may be good, most likely they are fine but nothing special, but please do your own research around the web!
Whenever I see "loaded naming" of products (so even more for the Tuttle "World #1" rubbers) I suspect some kind of "name dropping" strategy. Everyone in the business will recommend that you get a custom racket if you want to develop as a player...

For the "long pips decision" you are approaching it backwards. You are not the only one. The pips do not win the game for you. You have to decide what kind of style you would like to play, and then decide whether that style lends itseelf to the use of long pips, whether you are prepared to put in the effort to learn it. The assessment of suitability is based on whether the "surprise factor" of manipulating incoming spin, or the control you achieve from dissipation of incoming energy (spin/speed), is more important than the ability to impart spin to you/for your playing style.

Last edited by keme on 19 Nov 2021, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 20:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

OH REALLY??? $1.99 for Mercury II??? Where? (Opens up AliExpress to have a look..)

Not that I really need any more rubbers... :lol: Still have a pile a 18 inches high... I wonder how many have deteriorated in storage though - some of these are five years old by now. I pretty much quit buying 18 months or so ago.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 20:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Haven't found the $1.99 Yinhe Mercury YET, but I did find THIS for $1.99:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001577463200.html

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(So far the best deals seem to be around $5 which is normal.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 22:40 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

iskandar taib wrote:
OH REALLY??? $1.99 for Mercury II??? Where? ...

I linked to it in my post, but they are back to normal price now so it looks like some time limited offering.

I like the Mercury you found, but there's nothing for my paddle, so I will have to pass.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2021, 16:17 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What was that new kind of table tennis ITTF was promoting? Oh yeah, TTX (note that it's no longer on ittf.com - at least not at first sight). I suppose Freddie would fit on a TTX bat... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2021, 21:01 

keme wrote:
My thoughts:
"House brand" blades may be fine, or not. I never saw anything about the "Custom" blades from Customtabletennis, but I haven't done any research either. The blades may be good, most likely they are fine but nothing special, but please do your own research around the web!

I have found one discussion on this forum regarding Customtabletennis viewtopic.php?f=43&t=35092 ,although this is regarding their newer and more expensive products.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2021, 23:27 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

As for my previous mention of "name dropping strategy", I like the pun from "wood nut" better than the straightforward "Custom" woods. Not sure that it is an intended pun, though.

(It absolutely has to be. Right? No?)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2021, 02:50 

Thanks everybody for their contribution, eventually I decided to go with Xiom Vega Pro 1.8mm and loved the rubbers from the start. The downfall (or not   :^) ) is that the rubbers came as a special offer on a Carbon blade. As I never tried a Carbon blade before, at first the power of it was very appealing, but as already noted by others, and I felt it straight away that the feel was missing, so I am considering transferring rubbers to Stiga. But on the positive side my elbow feels better now since I stopped using Stiga. Now I am not exactly sure what to do, but also considering buying a pair of the same Vega Pro rubbers to place on Stiga too, then I would compare the differences between blades, and see how they will affect my elbow/play in the long run. So to sum it up, I have concluded that I prefer the feel of all wood Stiga blade vs power of Carbon blade, and hoping when I put the same Vega rubbers on Stiga that I will still get a reasonable combination/balance of feel and power, just maybe   :?: .