OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Advice please
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2022, 21:46 

Blade: A. super core cell carbon
FH: Tibhar evolution FX-P 1.7
BH: Tibhar evolution EL-P 1.7
Hello

I like to play with my backhand with an inverted rubber. I like to hit at the table and to chop. So 2/3 of the table I play backhand. The problem is they know it and they play to my forehand. I can't play a good topspin forehand and i have problems at the receipt of a service in forehand (Backhand is no problem). Yes, I can try to learn the topspin in forehand, but my age is already to high to learn a good topspin. So in forehand I hit the ball.

So I'm looking something different for my forehand. I've tried SP, but you must stay at the table and your footwork and timing must be good. Not in my case.
I'v tried MP. It's easy for the receipt of a service, but if I'm honnest I give only flat balls back and then they give me a smash.

Should I trie LP ? For the receipt of a service, I think LP is a good idee, but I like to hit the ball at the table and a little further :) . Is this possible with LP on forehand? Witch rubber would be nice for me?

Or must I stay with an inverted rubber for my FH? Witch rubber is good for receipt, is fast for hitting and is forgiving for bad topspins :-) ? Now I have Evolution F-XP 1.8 on my forehand and Evolution EL-P 1.8 on my backhand.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Advice please
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2022, 23:53 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

For a couple of years, while I was having some mobility issues (consequences of a broken ankle and later DVT), I did use inverted on max sponge for one side, and long pips on fairly thin sponge (0,5 or 0,8 mm) for the other side. It made sense for my playing style to use LP on forehand when receiving serve, then spin the racket (twiddle) to play LP backhand through the rally.

Be warned that LP is a very peculiar beast at times. Lots of practice required to play well with such a combo. I guess if you hit or chop a lot, sponge is better, but if you mainly block with the LP you could use it without sponge. At least that is how I felt about it.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2022, 00:53 

Blade: Xiom 36.5 ALX
FH: Yinhe Big Dipper
BH: Yinhe Big Dipper
You could try antispin rubber. It could work for flat hit, block and chop. Could be a fun experiment for you.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2022, 03:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This sounds almost like a grip problem. Then again, see what he plays with, he's been to a club and seems to know about rackets, so if he's got an unorthodox grip his club mates would probably have tried to sort it out. The equipment seems VERY fast for someone who plays mainly on the backhand and mainly chops, though.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2022, 04:27 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Dignics 09C Max
BH: DMS Sabotage .5 Black
I thought of a grip issue too. Also standing with too much of a backhand stance at the table (forehand side foot too far forward).

I like the anti-spin suggestion. I'm also a big fan of Butterfly Feint Long 3 or the new IliusB. They will improve the service return on lite contact but can create good spin on brush type strokes and flat hit balls are very SP like.

Learning to twiddle would also really be a good reason to use LP or Anti.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 07:23 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
A few senior players I know play with FH LP because of medical problems that blocks FH topspin game.

I have much less developed FH and normally return all serves with my BH. I use my FH only for smash.

I tried SP FH but did not found the gain for me. While I use my FH in less then 5% cases, I play the fastest inverted FH rubber. It is the best weapon to avoid pinning me around FH corner.