OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2022, 05:52 

Hi,

I am looking to start back playing table tennis again, this time at home (pre-pandemic I used to play at the club).

I am looking to get an outdoor table tennis table to play in my backyard. I was going to put it over grass. I have do not have the room for an indoor table.

However, while looking at them, the first thing which came to mind is the differences in thickness. I feel that no matter which thickness I go with - 5 mm, 6 mm, 7 mm, 8 mm, etc. The tables are too thin and they would not play similar to a "regular" indoor table.

I just went to a store today to look at some Cornilleau tables. I know that so many people swear by them, but aside from all the bells and whistles, I do not understand why. They only had one in stock, the 300X (I wanted to see the high-end ones, but they did not have the 600X which they usually carry in stock), in the back. They allowed me to look at it. It has far too many plastic parts for my taste (for example, the legs as well as the handle to bring it down - and I feel that with repeated plays, even after folding it and covering it after every session, it would wear out - that is in addition to the fact that the table is too thin.

As far as the thickness of outdoor tables, I am amazed that most of the ones which I see are quite thin.

I am also looking at Kettler tables, but I was not able to see one in person. I see that Kettler has some outdoor tables which are 22mm, such as the Outdoor 4, which is a lot thicker - and closer to an indoor table. Does anyone know anything about these?

Why aren't there too many thicker outdoor tables?

Does anyone have a great recommendation for an outdoor table?

Thank you.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2022, 23:37 

Blade: Xiom 36.5 ALX
FH: Yinhe Big Dipper
BH: Yinhe Big Dipper
I have an old cornilleau 240 outdoor table. Maybe 12 years old. I bought it used last year.

The thickness is 5mm, the material is different than an indoor table. It's very durable and good quality.

The rebound is different than an indoor table. Less rebound. After a little bit of play you get used to it. Maybe you should try one before buying.

I use it to play with friends and to practice with a cheap robot.

See if you can have a place with little to no wind. If it's a windy day it make practice much more interesting! :D

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022, 03:18 

Doum wrote:
I have an old cornilleau 240 outdoor table. Maybe 12 years old. I bought it used last year.

The thickness is 5mm, the material is different than an indoor table. It's very durable and good quality.

The rebound is different than an indoor table. Less rebound. After a little bit of play you get used to it. Maybe you should try one before buying.

Thank you for your response.

I would love to try one. Unfortunately, I do not know where I could give one a go. Table tennis (particularly outdoor) is an afterthought here in my country (the U.S.)
The places which have the tables are billiard supplies stores - and have pool tables on display everywhere, but I could not find a table tennis table on display - they took me to the back in the warehouse, where they were able to show me the table and I was able to pull one half down, but I obviously couldn't play on it, which would have been the best option.

I still don't understand how high-quality tables can have a thickness between 5mm and 8mm - and how the ball can bounce anywhere near as high as a "normal" table. I know there is the bounce test, in which ball dropped from 30cm (about 1 foot/12 inches) above the table should rebound about 21cm (8.25 inches). But isn't a thicker table - for example, 22mm better? I know that high-quality indoor tables start at 25mm, so 22mm should be decent.

What is the difference in the material - and why wouldn't they make thicker tables (for example, starting at 19mm) in whatever material that is used? Why are most outdoor table surfaces between 5mm and 8mm (with melamine, laminate, etc.) - and what makes those tables - with thinner tops, better than an aluminum table - for example, like a few of the Kettlers - which are thicker (22mm).

To those who have more expertise - I do not know enough about this - and I am trying to gain some perspective:
6mm melamine or laminate vs. 22mm aluminum (or at least the core being wrapped in aluminum). Which makes for a better top - thicker aluminum or significantly thinner melamine/laminate - and why?

Thank you.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 06:56 

One update - I am actually going to be putting the outdoor table by my swimming pool, not on grass.
I am just checking to see if anyone has any advice/recommendations?
For example, where would I be able to try (playing on) a table?

Thank you.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 11:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've never seen an outdoor table that plays like an indoor table. As you mentioned, they all use a much thinner table top that is fully weather proof. They often use aluminium and plastics, which are great materials to make it weather proof, but does not provide a good and consistent bounce. Making the surface thicker might add too much to the cost to make the price still competitive. Because of wind movement and glare that you get outside, they probably think that most serious players would never consider an outdoor table anyway, or the market for this would be too small.

I don't think you can make a timber table weather proof, the moisture will always get in, making the timber swell which ruins the surface. I've seen some 'weather resistant' tables, but they always say they're not meant to be left outdoor.

I'm sure you can still have a lot of fun on these outdoor table and practice your shots, but there will be quite an adjustment every time you change back to a proper competition table.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 12:20 

Blade: Nittaku Acoustic
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
Kettler and Cornilleau make popular outdoor tables. I bought a Kettler Axos 2 table in 2017 and have been using it pretty frequently. For the $500 price, it has turned out to be a good purchase. The table has withstood the elements pretty well, and has consistent bounce, but the bounce is definitely lower than a tournament indoor table. That being said, it's great for friendly games and robot practice. Maybe a $1000-$1500 Cornilleau table might be the way to go if you really want to get close to indoor quality.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2022, 09:07 

haggisv wrote:
I'm sure you can still have a lot of fun on these outdoor table and practice your shots, but there will be quite an adjustment every time you change back to a proper competition table.

That is what I was afraid of - and what I would like to avoid.
You see, I have a pool table conversion top "table" in my play room (indoors) right now, but it is 2 inches higher than a regulation table - which means that every time I play on it, it messed me up compared to when I went to play at my club (on a table which is regulation height). The plan was that if we got another table, we could take off the conversion top and play with the pool table, which hasn't been used in forever (because I am more into table tennis), but if we do that, there is no room inside for the table tennis table, so we were going to place it to play outdoors.

Obviously, as you said, the market isn't large enough - and it is more expensive since the stores I've seen these outdoor tables specialize in pool table - the table tennis tables are an afterthought (just not popular enough sport).
There's the sacrifices for getting an outdoor table.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 10:05 

andyk wrote:
Maybe a $1000-$1500 Cornilleau table might be the way to go if you really want to get close to indoor quality.

Does anyone here have experience having bought a Cornilleau and had it for a while? I am worried that over time, the legs - which are made out of plastic (even on their higher-end $1,550 - $2,400 tables - as can be seen in their pictures) will wear down in the conditions - and then I would have to rely on their support to replace them. I haven't looked everywhere, but the store which I have been in, which specializes in pool table supplies - doesn't inventory any spare parts and would go directly through Cornilleau anyway. Am I right to question this? I mean, this is a lot of money not to really think about it and take it seriously.

At least the Kettlers which I have looked at online do not have legs made out of plastic. They also have some tables which are 22mm, but they are made of out aluminum - and I guess aluminum isn't as good a material as a synthetic laminate or melamine, even though 22mm is as thick as some indoor tables, is this correct?
Has anyone played on both Cornilleau and Kettler, who would be able to compare?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 17:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I would guess that if it's 22mm, it's not going to be solid aluminium. I would either be hollow, or more likely have some laminate enclosed with aluminium.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2022, 01:18 

haggisv wrote:
I would guess that if it's 22mm, it's not going to be solid aluminium. I would either be hollow, or more likely have some laminate enclosed with aluminium.

You are right! According to the Kettler USA website, the Kettler Outdoor 4 is:
Quote:
Absolutely weatherproof 7/8" (22 mm) sealed aluminum composite tournament top with proprietary ALU-TEC Climate-Control underside that controls expansion and contraction due to weather changes.

Thank you. :)

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2022, 06:35 

Blade: Donic Dotec Impuls
FH: Glayzer 09C 1.9mm
BH: Diabolic Special
Because of the pandemic, I have had to study and compete on a number of outdoor tables, they all have a slow horrible bounce. After doing too much research, I was able to try the Joola Berkshire Outdoor TT table; only outdoor table that has an indoor bounce! Price $1995, has a metal net, does not fold and weighs 400lbs. but it bounces like an indoor table. I will film myself playing on it and post it on here in a couple of weeks, I hope!

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2022, 07:56 

pipper4flipper wrote:
After doing too much research, I was able to try the Joola Berkshire Outdoor TT table; only outdoor table that has an indoor bounce! Price $1995, has a metal net, does not fold and weighs 400lbs. but it bounces like an indoor table.

Thank you for your reply.

I really need a table which folds. I do not have the space for a permanent table, but by folding it, I do have room to store it, and then take the table out when I want to play on it.

But I am curious:
What makes you say it has an "indoor bounce"? I am looking at it right now. It looks like a very durable table which can last a long time, but I do not know where you got the idea that it would have an "indoor bounce". It is made out of concrete. I played on an outdoor concrete table once - and all I can say is that it was a very different experience from any other time I ever played table tennis. The ball barely bounced at all. That is why I am wondering - you said that you did a bunch of research: Could you show me some of it, which would suggest that the ball would bounce almost as high as an indoor table?

I am very interested in seeing your playing videos on it.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2022, 03:37 

Blade: fox tt arctic
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: Yasaka Mark V
Except the delicate caring things rally and roarr is the most nice table which is foldable. The 4-piece unit folds up into a smaller 54″ x 30″ piece, therefore taking up less storage space, while the 2-piecer will be a bigger 54″ x 60″ bundle when folded up and use up more storage space, so choose the one that matches your available space. If space isn’t an issue, you can go with either or base your choice on personal preference. The hinges in both the 2- and 4-panel topper are sturdy and adequately support the halves and quarters, ensuring they don’t sag at the middle. Both options come with 3mm EVA foam back padding to protect your table from scratches and dings. Assembly is easy, and they come with a set of posts and net, so you can set them up and play right away if you like.