OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2022, 23:09 

Hello,

I would need some opinions for a new game setup (especially for the blade).

Here are some details about myself:

level: I have 12 training sessions starting in November, during which time I focused on correcting the “learned” movements wrong in the past. Current stage: I am working on the correct use of the top-spin movement - more precisely, out of 20 top-spins, 70% enter the table, of which maybe only 40-50% are executed correctly

style of play: somehow All Round, I'm not in a hurry to close the point but I'm trying to play quite calculated. If given the opportunity, attack, but I'm patient enough to make the opponent's mistake or build the point carefully

current setup: Gionis Carbon Off (5 layers of wood + 2 carbon) and Tenergy 05-FX (BH and FH). The racket is SH

I own a Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft face (red, 2.0mm), new, unplayed

The main problem I have is that I don't feel the ball in the racket. The feeling is not what I expect, the blade (maybe even the rubbers) is quite fast and does not give me decent feedback so that it can help me both to return the ball to the table more controlled and to understand the movement better and better.

My main need is control and not speed. I want to learn the mechanics of movement as well as possible and use these physical principles so that I can transfer strength from my legs and torso to the hit. The same goes for the technique.

From the research I've done so far, considering that I own an unplayed Rakza 7 Soft (which would apparently fit an All-Wood blade), I would go for an All-Wood blade, which has good control, elasticity, and feedback so that I can use it for at least 1 year from now, during which time I could define the technique and the things listed above. Rakza 7 Soft could come on BH, and on FH it remains to be seen.

Current options:
OSP Virtuoso Off-
Nittaku Acoustic
Butterfly Korbel (I understood, though, that it wouldn't be that different from Gionis Carbon Off)

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 01:29 
Super User

Hi,

I feel, all-wood blades are the way to go, if you want to learn how to get a feel of the ball, learn technique, strokes, want control ..

I don't know much about Gionis Carbon .. So, can't compare/comment..

Butterfly Petr Korbel would be my blade of choice, from the options you've mentioned.. I like the feeling of the blade.. Good control too..

Find the Acoustic ridiculously expensive..

Apart from these 3, I would also consider Tibhar Stratus Powerwood (TSPW) .. Same wood composition as Korbel, but slightly thicker .. Both share a lot of playing properties .. but, there are some difference.. Powerwood has a slightly larger handle, and also a larger head.. It's also a tad stiffer than the Korbel.. TSPWs tend to run heavier, compared to Korbels.. They also play a wee bit faster than Korbels.. Oh, and TSPW, cost a lot less than Korbels..

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 03:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Before spending money on something expensive - or maybe even if you do - buy one of these and see if your "feel" increases and if you end up landing more shots.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001186948615.html

It does sound like you're just starting out. And you're already playing with a carbon blade and Tenergy 05 - perhaps not the best thing for someone just getting into the game.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 06:25 

Blade: Xiom 36.5 ALX
FH: Yinhe Big Dipper
BH: Yinhe Big Dipper
For your FH rubber you can try Hurricane 3 or maybe the NEO version on your current blade. They are hard tacky rubbers and they reward good technique. They are not bouncy so it help with the slow strokes, the ball is spinny but land on the table.

This is what i use right now on an ALC blade and i like it.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2022, 07:37 

iskandar taib wrote:
Before spending money on something expensive - or maybe even if you do - buy one of these and see if your "feel" increases and if you end up landing more shots.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001186948615.html

It does sound like you're just starting out. And you're already playing with a carbon blade and Tenergy 05 - perhaps not the best thing for someone just getting into the game.

Iskandar
Yes, it’s true that a carbon blade with T05-FX it’s not the best idea that’s why I started to get some extra info and opinions from more experienced players. Thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!