OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2022, 16:22 

Blade: Yinhe 895
FH: Yinhe 9000E
BH: -
Hey OOAK!

I've got a setup with a Yinhe 895 5-ply JPEN racket and a Yinhe 9000E sheet for the forehand. Testing out others' rackets at the club however, I found it much easier to get spinny, controlled loops on them. Mine seems to have very little "feeling" in the contact, and I am much less confident in my timing on it.

I'm looking for something that would have a good dwell (the subjective sensation of it - current rubber feels like it barely has time to touch the ball) and spin + control, so I can practice looping long backspins better. At this point I'm happy to not have a massive catapult, but generate the power myself if needed - something a little more forgiving, then.

Asking around I've been recommended both Rakza 7 Soft and Victas VS401. Both spinny, but the Rakza is a soft sponge and Victas has a hard one.

Wouldn't the softer sponge result in an increased catapult effect, even if the racket is described as slower than it's harder counterpart (Rakza 7 regular)?

Is there something I should know before committing to trying out a "defensive" rubber (Victas) as my primary forehand to practice looping on?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2022, 20:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Generally harder sponged rubber require better technique. Although the Victas 401 has quite a soft topsheet which makes it feel softer, the Rakza 7 soft will still be quite a bit softer and will likely be easier to play with and give you more feel of the ball. I would suggest 2.0mm thickness, don't go for 'max'.
With the 401 you'd probably find it easier to spin the ball and this one would be the better choice for chopping. Looping with the rubber required good technique, and when you have it, it's a very spinny and powerful rubber, even though it's designed for choppers. I use this rubber myself.