OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 23:18 

Should lower level players be using a tensor/tension rubber?
If not, at what level should they introduce the rubber to their game?

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2022, 17:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

In my opinion even 1100 level players should be able to handle even Tenergy 05. Mind you, being able to handle it and getting any actual benefit from it are two different things, but I don't think they'd find it hard to play with - if they can play with cheap Chinese $5 sheets they can handle Tenergy 05, Evolution MX-P, Rakza Z, etc. despite all the claims you read on the package about having to be a "pro player" to be able to handle these rubbers. The caveat here, of course, is that they're using a reasonable blade - something like a Stiga Allround Classic or a Sanwei M8 rather than a Butterfly Sardius - with the latter, it won't matter if they're using cheap Chinese rubber - they won't be able to control it.

If they have the extra money and want to spend it, I'd tell them, go right ahead... it's their money after all... If you're looking for a rubber that's so "pro" that ordinary players can't control it, it doesn't exist. By the same token, if you're looking for a rubber that will immediately add 50 points to your rating, that doesn't exist either.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2022, 08:25 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
I think most players do not radically change equipment during progress for lower to higher level. It is more then wasting training time, it is wasting playing experience. If you train long with specific kind of rubber it will be hard to switch for another kind later.

My personal preference of rubbers are very dependent of what I played in my first TT years. My playing style formed to the equipment I played. I personally do not play typical tensor rubbers because I am not experienced and comfortable with them.

I personally made a painful equipment shift from ox LPs to sponged MPs. It required me several attempts and several years. I lost a lot of rating points and while I think I improved I still did not recover my peak rating score back.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 07:50 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
The quetion should be: why should lower level players start with easy to use,controllable equipment ? and if they should avoid tensor rubbers/ sponges so they learn the basic strokes better .

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 08:11 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
I see no problem with starting with a tensor that is not too extreme, not too bouncy, but has good grip. Too fast or too slow will encourage the wrong strokes.

Rubbers Like:
TSP Ventus Spin/ Soft, Andro Rasant Powersponge, Tibhar Evolution FX-S, Andro Hexer Grip SFX, Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft

Preferably something grippy, not tacky.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 21:08 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
IMO the question is: do typical tensor rubbers are good investment of adaptation and training time? I doubt because of current fashion of so called hybrid rubbers.

I am personally too old to learn new tricks, but IMO new players better to try new rubbers ala Dignics.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 21:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

China people's voice - Tensor rubbers really suck.

Chinese native people all utterly refused of using the novelty sponge materials with extra tension,
as Tensor rubbers were found an "unruly material" and remarkably reduced lifespan.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2022, 13:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Sami wrote:
The quetion should be: why should lower level players start with easy to use,controllable equipment ? and if they should avoid tensor rubbers/ sponges so they learn the basic strokes better .

My take on this is that the difference isn't so large that it makes much difference. The choice of blade matters much more than the actual rubber they are using. Tensor rubbers aren't really unmanageable compared to non-Tensor rubbers. The real impact is on the bank account.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2022, 17:38 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

iskandar taib wrote:
[...]
The real impact is on the bank account.. :lol:

And consequentially, on bragging rights ...

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2022, 07:29 

I do agree that blade choice is more important than rubber choice for lower level players. Following that, from my experience, it's more about proper coaching than choice of rubbers.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2022, 12:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes of course they should. Unless they have a magical stash of 38mm balls to play with, they should use modern rubber.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2022, 16:30 

Blade: BTY Gergely
FH: Rasanter 47
BH: Fastarc G-1
Its' their money. It may not benefit them but that's what they like.