OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2022, 12:31 

Blade: Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Raksa 7, 2mm
BH: Raksa 7, Soft 2mm
Hi All,
I have a Nittaku Violin with Xiom Vega Intro BH and Yasaka Mark V Max FH. The Intro has been great. I am getting better as a player and the Mark V wasn't giving me the performance I wanted. After much research I have ordered a Xiom Vega X Max for my FH. My question is what rubber will pair well with this considering I love to hit BH winners and punch the ball from the BH side a lot. Any advice welcome.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2022, 13:27 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Classic ST
FH: Hurricane 3 41 black 2.2
BH: Hurricane 3 38 red 2.2
Humpdawg wrote:
Hi All,
I have a Nittaku Violin with Xiom Vega Intro BH and Yasaka Mark V Max FH. The Intro has been great. I am getting better as a player and the Mark V wasn't giving me the performance I wanted. After much research I have ordered a Xiom Vega X Max for my FH. My question is what rubber will pair well with this considering I love to hit BH winners and punch the ball from the BH side a lot. Any advice welcome.

Explain the performance you want. We can only guess:

Your backhand is 'hitting' and 'punching' mostly. So stay away from spinny, especially any tack. You just seem to want a fast rubber. The blade shouldn't make much difference (violin probably has dwell) but I'd guess a lower throw rubber which is most of ESN stuff will help bring the throw angle down so more blade is straight behind the rubber.

Unless you want the fastest (willing to miss till you adapt) I'd just get any cheaper high-speed to low spin ratio rubber you can find. Hitting and punching requires old technology in my opinion.

Things get complex and dear if you're into predominantly looping and need the dwell time before a big catapult = MXP

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2022, 19:30 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
You said "The Intro has been great" so what do you want it to do better? more speed? more spin?

My experiences of Intro is that it has a quite hard feel, is direct rather than spinny, linear but not much dwell. It is very different in basic feel to most Euro tensors except maybe MXP and a bit more like a slower less spinny Tenergy in its short contact time.

I would suggest sticking with the intro whilst you try out Vega X as you may actually find X works on your BH or if it doesn't it will at least give you a clue where to go or maybe just stick with Intro. Then for a hit and punch style their is also short pips e.g. Waran or Waran 2

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2022, 09:54 

Blade: Nittaku Acoustic
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
I have Victas V15 Extra on the bh of my Violin, and love it. It's a spinny rubber that's not grippy. I use Fastarc G1 on the fh and that works really well. G1 is grippier. Both rubbers are around 47 hardness.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2022, 13:01 

Blade: Xiom Zetro Quad
FH: Raksa 7, 2mm
BH: Raksa 7, Soft 2mm
Firstly thank you to everyone who has been replying to my initial inquiry.

So for added information I do win a lot of points by BH looping close to the table. The Vega X which I am putting on the FH may become the BH rubber to replace the Vega Intro. However it will be on my blade with the Intro at least initially. I think the recommendation I am after is what rubber will give me similar levels of control that the Intro does but has more speed. My research tells me Vega Euro DF maybe a good choice. What does everyone think?

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2022, 19:39 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Classic ST
FH: Hurricane 3 41 black 2.2
BH: Hurricane 3 38 red 2.2
Sounds like you want to find people who use Vega.

This is how I go about choosing a rubber.

1. Look at the manufacturers' websites and note their speed spin control ratios and compare. Look at cost delivered at local stores if possible. Can you share the list of the rubbers with those details with us?
Read reviews on revspin tt11...
2. Copy a list of the ones that sound right.
3. Ask strong players at the club their thoughts (you can often try their blade for a bit too).

That's how I got onto the Evolution series. As far as I am concerned there are now 100s of similar enough rubbers that come out of the same factory. ESN or Japan or China. Choose your hardness and use it.

Not everyone here uses Vega so you won't get much response. Choose a factory and a sponge hardness and you will get more feedback.

---

To throw a spanner in the works I bet I could boost your Mark V and stretch it and glue it down to make it faster than your choice of rubber above.