OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 09:23 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
We have a player at our club who is in our lowest grade and has limited side to side mobility. Due to this, balance is also an issue which doesn't allow for any body rotation, quick leg movement or a fast arm action.

Having said that, the player appears to have a decent enough forehand technique compared to the level they are playing at. They have a high arm action and is able to get a bit of spin. Sometimes though if not onto the ball quickly the shot lacks power and can't get over the net.

It got me thinking about the equipment that might suit. I'm thinking a pretty soft and grippy rubber that doesn't need a lot of effort to get up and over the net. Along this lines I'm thinking perhaps an Off- blade with something like Baracuda on it. Maybe a Tibhar Hybrid K1. Normally I'd say to a C grader to stick with some basic Chinese rubbers until they learn some technique and get a bit better but in this case I think it would be of benefit to have some tailored equipment.

Any thoughts? I'm not 100% sure but at the moment I think they are using something like the 729 premade Fighter bat, thats probably a few years old now.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 19:05 

Blade: SDC Viscaria
FH: Rakza Z EH max
BH: ABS 3 Spinlab Pink Sponge
Hi,

Tibhar K1 isn't really a soft rubber. Think it's about 47 degrees. It's grippy though. So easy to generate spin with.
If you really want soft: checkout tibhar aurus soft or rakza 7 soft.
Both rubbers are easy to play with.

Cheers
Pieter

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 20:12 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Thanks for the reply. I don't really want anything in particular, that was just my thoughts but interested in other views as what might be suitable for this situation.

I think the K1 is even harder, in the 50's somewhere, could be wrong though.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 22:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
What about a tensor rubber?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2022, 22:54 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Yes, thats what I was thinking might be good. Both Baracuda and Tibhar K1 are tensors, or equivalent.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2022, 07:33 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
I would think something like a Rakza 7 Soft as suggested (relatively insensitive to spin, not too fast, but plenty of spin and speed when needed - and a LP with a bit of sponge on the backhand. With limited mobility, deception and change would be more important. Also would mean could stay right at the table and return aggressive attacks

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2022, 11:37 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Thats a very interesting thought. I hadn't considered long pips and also can't remember his style of play on backhand to know whether he is more defensive or attacking.

My knowledge of pimple rubbers is limited so what thickness sponge would you suggest? Any rubbers suggestion?

At home I've got a bat with one side pimples so might give him a go of that as a test.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2022, 11:58 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Cobalt wrote:
Thats a very interesting thought. I hadn't considered long pips and also can't remember his style of play on backhand to know whether he is more defensive or attacking.

My knowledge of pimple rubbers is limited so what thickness sponge would you suggest? Any rubbers suggestion?

At home I've got a bat with one side pimples so might give him a go of that as a test.

I would go with something cheap while he tries it out - 729-837 or similar with 1mm or 1.2mm sponge.

Having some sponge would make it easier to adjust to LPs; also, LPs would make the overall bat lighter, which may make the forehand easier as well.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2022, 12:13 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Excellent, if it comes to that then Haggisv will be able to help me out as I'd get it from his shop.

What sort of blade, ALL+ / Off- ok?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2022, 12:52 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

I play with balsa, because it is very light and oversize, but I am a bit biased. I would check with Haggisv!

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2022, 16:44 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I am in my 70s, only playing for 6 years, have limited mobility in all directions, and having started with double inverted, now use LP. I am currently trying the DHS 08x which is an oversize defensive version of the basic inner ALC DHS blades., to get a touch more speed than the Matsushita Pro Model, although I do love the anigre top ply. My setup is currently 388D-1 ).5mm, with Rakza Z on the FH of the 08X, and Evolution MXD on the MPM. These are fine for me, plenty of control, despite the speedy FH rubbers.

I can recommend this kind of setup for anyone like the person you describe. The BTY Grubba All+ or the Donic Senso Def also have the anigre top plys, and are amongst my other faves.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2022, 17:28 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
This sound very similar to the elderly gentleman I sometimes play with. He uses OX LP on his bh, and has become very deft at blocking and placing the ball in difficult places. He uses a soft spinny rubber on his FH (Xiom one, I forget which one). His blade is a 5 play off-, which gets a fair amount of reversal. It'll take some time to get used to the feel and touch, and to control, but it could work well.

In terms of recommendation, I think 755 is a great place to start. A perfect all round LP, and cheap, and HaggisV can sell it to you :)

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2022, 02:56 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Much depends on the circumstance.
  • Physical condition: Are the mobility issues permanent or caused by some disease or damage that is expected to heal over time?
  • Motivation: Is the player competitively oriented or more motivated by exercise or the feel/beauty of the game? Do they play for points or prefer a more "friendly ball exchange"?
For the "exchange between friends" setup, and also to train for a future when the mobility issues are a thing of the past, the fastish setups you are already looking at should be fine.

A competitive game with limited mobility, reach and power can benefit from focusing more on placement and slowing down the game. The LP suggestions given may be just right to slow the game down (absorb energy) but I find that precision suffers a bit with LP. That may be a matter of me not practising sufficiently with the LP. The Friendship 755 is perhaps more control oriented than the Dawei 388. It is also a lot cheaper (at least where I do my shopping).

Inverted rubbers that come to mind with energy absorbing properties and some spin capability are Gambler Reflectoid (more spinny) and Friendship 804 (more absorbing). The 804 is often listed as "Anti" but it is not totally spinless like you expect from an anti rubber.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2022, 19:43 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Thanks for all the replies. This particular person won't improve I don't think. They play for enjoyment in a grade which despite people wanting to win, is more about just coming out and having a go. Some people want to improve, many don't care. This person is possibly a bit of both but maybe more the latter.

I've got a bat that I can put some LP on and a spinny rubber so might give a go with that and see how he feels.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 01:22 

Blade: Nittaku Acoustic
FH: Rakza 7 2.0
BH: Rakza 7 1.8
Cobalt wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. This particular person won't improve I don't think. They play for enjoyment in a grade which despite people wanting to win, is more about just coming out and having a go. Some people want to improve, many don't care. This person is possibly a bit of both but maybe more the latter.

I've got a bat that I can put some LP on and a spinny rubber so might give a go with that and see how he feels.

When I returned to TT this summer after 40 years of hiatus, I bought Yasaka Sweden Extra/2.0mm Rasanter R37. Disliked it straight away, tried other options and ended up with Acoustic/Rakza7.

Tried again my YSE/R37 last week just because it was in the bag and was astounded at how super easy it was to play with this combo.

It's not fast, medium throw, not bouncy, moderately grippy, not really aggressive, gives you tons of time but creates decent spin with a short swing and what surprised me most it deals with incoming spin as if it's nothing.

I think It's great for a recreational player you described. LOTS of fun, great balance, very pleasant feel at mid distance and VERY forgiving. I was almost feeling guilty :)

Acoustic/Rakza7 is way faster, more grippy, with higher throw, more gears and I hope it will serve me for years to come. But had I lost my mobility and needed to slow down my game, I would be more than happy with YSE/R37. I would probably get back to it when playing doubles at my club or to improve some of my shots.

PS Played with YSE/R37 agains a penholder who is way above my level, with some fast, nasty over the table spin, and I was like "OMG, I don't believe I returned it" :D