OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2023, 02:30 

Blade: I'm going to build one!
Hello all

My name is Harry Jones. I am a 6th form student from a private school in Northern Ireland and I am currently taking an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) which requires me to obtain primary and secondary research as to a chosen topic in order to compile a final report of findings.

I have chosen to research what makes a great table tennis paddle, and I was just wondering if any of you would be able to provide me with any expert primary advice as to this topic. Below I have attached the areas/questions I am currently researching. I would be very grateful if there is any of these you would be able to provide some knowledge on.

I have already obtained a few pieces useful information, mainly on the woods from this forum (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=12687) but I have had loads of difficulty trying to get anything out of manufacturers or the ITTF. Would appreciate any help available thanks heaps. ;)

Regulations
- How do current regulations affect paddle construction?
Materials
- What different woods are used in paddle construction and how does quality, type and properties of woods used affect the paddle's performance and construction?
- What sponges and rubbers are used?
- How are sponges and rubbers produced, and how does this affect paddle performance?

Processes
- What methods and materials are used to combine the various components into a cohesive pro-level paddle?
- Does the quality of the paddle make it any easier or harder to upgrade

Look forward to hearing from you all and many thanks for your help. :angel:

PS: please let me know if this doesn't make sense

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2023, 08:58 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
My first thought is, you do not play table tennis.

If you did, you would know there are many different styles of play. A perfect bat for one style would be terrible for another.

Don't know how to help without more info or perhaps a different search.

Maybe, How to make a high quality table tennis bat. :)

There are discussions about everything you are looking for on the forum. But it will take some digging to find it. Construction, materials, rubber, sponges, glue types, it is all here. :)

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2023, 10:01 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
There are many specific subjects for table tennis that are interesting to scientifically investigate. Most of them will require a special equipment: at least tennis table, table tennis robot (ball gun) and high speed video recorder. Table tennis racket is more an art and fashion trends rather then scientific research.

I may suggest you to compile available information about history of table tennis rules and/or famous players of the past.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2023, 16:55 

hookshot wrote:

If you did, you would know there are many different styles of play. A perfect bat for one style would be terrible for another.

There are discussions about everything you are looking for on the forum. But it will take some digging to find it. Construction, materials, rubber, sponges, glue types, it is all here. :)

Thanks hookshot.
I do play a little but just as a hobby. I realise that the style of play is the primary influence on the paddle makeup but i was just looking on some more deep information as to how each the components of the table tennis paddles were made and therefore, how this affects the quality of the paddle

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2023, 02:17 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
I think you should google stuff for a bit (or try to use this forum search).

Something as simple as :

"table tennis blade rules"
"how table tennis rubbers are made"
"table tennis blade composition"

will get you a lot of info that will answer some of your questions (e.g. why there are no plastic or carbon fiber TT blades), both from manufacturers, TT enthusiasts etc. Some YouTube videos too. Don't forget to check Wikipedia.

And yes, there is no such thing as a perfect TT paddle. :)

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2023, 02:46 
More Block Than Bite

Agreed, there is no such thing as a perfect paddle, you just want to find one that suits your style of play and isn't ridiculously fast (util you are a pro) and practice practice practice.

I'm not an expert on the subject but I would suggest you begin with an all-around blade and rubbers since you mentioned in your other post that you currently use a premade bat. If you are trying to research woods to make your own blade, that is a fine idea and other people wo have also made their own blade may be of more help with that. There are some woods that are more commonly used that others for sure but i would suggest you start out with a basic all wood all-around grade blade. I recently purchased a Donic Applegreen Allplay blade for my son and he loves it. I have to say that i love it as well as i have tested with it several times now and it plays great (note: with Donic - Senso means the handle is hallow and lighter, if Senso isnt mentioned it will have a regular solid handle) . It doesn't have the speed a pro table tennis player would need but a beginner would do more harm than good by starting with a blade with the speed of a pro blade imo. The applegreen allplay blade is made of 5 plies of wood, i believe the two outside layers (layers 1,2,4,& 5) are Limba and a core of ayous. This is the same composition as many other blades, but they all have slightly different thickness plies which changes playing charectoristics.

As for rubbers, any rubber you use must be approved by ITTF for competition use so i dont think you would be able to make your own rubber unless it's strictly for rec use. Personally, i don't know that that would be worth the trouble involved since there are so many good quality rubbers being produced that are easily available. If you would like to begin with some good quality rubbers that would be a step up from a basic premade bat i would suggest looking at Yasaka Mark V or Butterfly Sriver. Both are relatively inexpensive and are better than most premade paddles come with. It is hard to say for sure since we don't know what premade paddle you currently have though.

Donic Defplay Senso | Yasaka Mark V 2.0 | SL Dornenglanz OX

Donic Defplay Senso | Butterfly Sriver | Testing

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 02:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Do you just want to come up with a research paper, or do you actually want to make a racket? And if so, to what end? I'd suggest the easiest way to get into blade making is to visit a model airplane supply store and buy some wood - in particular, 5mm or 6mm balsawood and 1/64" three ply birch. You'd also need some tools (in particular, something to hold a wood sandwich together while the glue dries or cures, and access to a scroll saw, a bandsaw and a disc sander).

As far as rubbers go - lots and lots to choose from, I'd suggest some of the $5 sheets of Chinese rubber - you can order them directly from China via AliExpress.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 02:18 

iskandar taib wrote:
Do you just want to come up with a research paper, or do you actually want to make a racket? And if so, to what end? I'd suggest the easiest way to get into blade making is to visit a model airplane supply store and buy some wood - in particular, 5mm or 6mm balsawood and 1/64" three ply birch. You'd also need some tools (in particular, something to hold a wood sandwich together while the glue dries or cures, and access to a scroll saw, a bandsaw and a disc sander).

As far as rubbers go - lots and lots to choose from, I'd suggest some of the $5 sheets of Chinese rubber - you can order them directly from China via AliExpress.

Iskandar

sorry to cause confusion.

i am only looking for info/intelligence to include in a research paper. I am not looking to create a bat

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2023, 19:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There's a bunch of data that exists, I'm sure, but most of it's proprietary - it belongs to Butterfly, etc. The best you can do, I think, is see what's been posted online, for what it's worth. LOTS and LOTS of theorizing online, much of it speculation without any actual data to back it up.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2023, 12:33 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
hookshot wrote:

The OP hasn't seen the reviews on the Schildkrot 900 yet.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2023, 12:54 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Don't want to let too many people know about that. 8)

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2023, 01:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah. The Chuck Norris of table tennis bats.. :lol:

Iskandar