OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2009, 18:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Most of clubs use ITTF approved tables, and since these all need to meet a fairly strict standard, the choice often comes down to personal preference or availability, not so much down to reviews & information about the tables.

However many people are faced with the decision of what tables to buy for home use... so I think it would be really useful to get some comments or reviews on the more basic and budget tables table...

If you have a table at home, or have tried or played on some of these non-competition approved tables, please post your comments here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2009, 21:14 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
If you are ever looking for this thread again, its linked in the equipment review index at the bottom.

There has been a few discussions about this in the past so I went and dug up what I could find as it might be useful here as well. Only took me an hour to find all these so hope you enjoy lol:

http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=4635
http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=1687
http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=2084
http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=2705
http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=3292
http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=3780

I have two tables which you will know if you read the threads completely lol. Got them both from ebay auctions. One is a DVP Chinese brand and the other is also chinese, but can't recall the brand. The second one is unused as yet as I bought it to use outdoors, but haven't done so yet.

Both tables have a 16mm top and are quite sturdy and the one I've used has a good bounce. The frames are nice and thick. The pictured one does not have wheels, but the other one does so I can wheel it outside when I want (eventually lol). The two tables cost me less than about a third of what I have spent on other TT equipment I think lol. And that included $60 postage on each of them. Very good value. I find having your own TT table is almost essential. Having someone to play against all the time...like Mastercard says...Priceless!! Having a return board or robot is the next best thing. :wink:

In this thread is some pics of one of my tables:
http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/v ... php?t=3093

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 08:31 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Toll. Super!

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 15:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks Reb, there is indeed some useful information there... What I was thinking off in this thread, was for people to review the table they have themselves at home, or have used.

A standard format may be really useful, and I'll attempt to put that together here, using my own home table as an example... This way it's much easier for others to do, as they can simply fill in the basic template.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 15:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Name and Brand, origin
Stiga Superior, probable made in China.

Table surface (thickness, quality, other)
This table has a matt blue surface, with painted-on lines. Thickness is only 12mm

Frame (material, 2-piece or fold-up, sturdiness, roll-away or fixed, etc)
I believe this table is steel framed, and although it feel a little flimsy, it's adequate. Each half can be put up, and rolled away as a seperate piece. Wheels are pretty basic and don't look to strong, but have lasted so far. One half can be put up, to be used in play-back mode, which some people find useful.

Performance (playing performance compared to a competition table)
Probably due to the thin surface, the bounch on this table is much slower than a comp table, and not perfectly consistant. Serves practiced on this table may not stay in when played on a comp table. Still performance is adequate.

Durability (table surface, warping of main surface, etc)
The surface of this table has kept really well, over a period about 4 years in our fully enclosed garage. There are some signs of warping, but this is to be expected for a table of this thickness..

Value for money, recommend or not?
The cost of this table was around AUD$250, which I felt was decent value for the quality of table, which we chose for only occasional use with a ball machine. I would no doubt spend a little more on my next table, to get a thicker surface with a faster and more consistant bounce.

Hope this template is useful, and if there are other aspects we should add to this, please let me know...

Any similar reviews of your table, or one you've tried would be great! Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 16:24 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Name and Brand, origin
Stiga Elite Roller, don't know where it was made.

Table surface (thickness, quality, others)
Table has a matt green surface with painted lines. Thickness is 1".

Frame (material, etc)
This table is steel framed, very sturdy and heavy. It is a fold up, hinge at the center and roll away as one piece. Wheels are 3" diameter, lasted more than 20 years and recently been replaced.

Performance
This is a competition quality table with true bounce and speed, actually, it is better than those I played at the club with butterfly tables.

Durability
After more than 20 years inside my enclosed garage since I bought this table from a private club (The General Dynamic Recreation Center when the company closed in SD), the surface has been keeping well, no dents or damages although the surface has been suffered with countless abuses from player's accidental blade hitting. I have also stood on the table to retrieve balls trapped on top of the lamps directly above the table.

Value of money
I paid US$400 for this second hand table which originally cost them US $850, I believe. The money was well spent, it provides me with lasting table tennis enjoyment. The only problem is, the table is getting heavier day after day, and pretty soon, I can't put it up all by myself.

After playing in many inferior table surfaces with balls skid and not bounce up to its expected height, I would recommend potential buyers don't save that little bit of money and go a head and buy at least a 1" table thickness for a continue and no surprises table tennis enjoyment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 16:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Fantastic, thanks Tat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2009, 17:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

OK, I'll play ball and put my review into format. Not sure if any extra info will come out, but let's see.

Table 1

Name and Brand, origin
DTP definitely made in China.

This table has a matt blue surface, with painted-on lines. I have put a coat of gloss polyeurethane on it as the paint was marking by balls. Now I can buff out the marks without losing paint. It hasn't affected bounce. Thickness is 16mm. The material is standard MDF (medium density fibre wood).

This table is steel framed and is fairly sturdy. Each half is put up as a separate piece. No wheels. Table had some minor frame damage when I got it, but doesn't affect play. I got a small recompense for the damage.

Overall Table Weight

The delivered package was marked with 70kg. The table itself is 66kg or 33kg per piece.

The bounce on this table is almost as good as a comp table, and perfectly consistent. Shots and serves practiced on this table seem to stay in when played on a comp table. My lighting and space changes performance a bit, but it is adequate.

The surface of this table has kept really well over a period of bout a year inside my house.

The cost of this table was $123 delivered after the recompense, otherwise was $147. This included $60 delivery fee. The table was won at ebay auction. If you can get onto one of these they are the best value you'll find.

Below is a link to the ebay site I bought this one from, they have since put many tables up with minimum price since I bought mine, but do sometimes have 99 cent starting bids still.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BR-NEW-PRO-SIZE- ... dZViewItem

Table 2

Name and Brand, origin
Couldn't find one on it, but definitely made in China.

This table has a matt blue surface, with painted-on lines. I have yet to put a coat of gloss polyeurethane on it, but I will as the paint will mark by balls hitting it as with the other. Thickness is 16mm. The material is standard MDF (medium density fibre wood).

This table is steel framed and is more sturdy than Table 1. Each half is put up as a separate piece. This one has 8 wheels. I drilled holes in the wheel legs (which are removable from frame) so that I could store table flat against a wall without wheels sticking out. Works very well. I store it in a hallway and takes less than 12 inches of hallway space away.

Overall Table Weight

The delivered package was marked with 70kg. The table itself is 66kg or 33kg per piece.

I've not played on this table yet, but I expect it to be every bit as good as Table 1, if not better due to the sturdier, thicker frame.

The surface of this table has kept really well over a period of about a 6 months inside my house standing against the wall lol.

The cost of this table was $150 delivered. This included $60 delivery fee. The table was won at ebay auction. If you can get onto one of these they are the best value you'll find.

Below is a link to the ebay site I bought this one from, they have since put many tables up with minimum price since I bought mine, but do sometimes have 99 cent starting bids still. The one I have linked is currently on $33 AUD with 2 hours to go. If I had the room I'd be tempted lol. But Tables are not so easy to EJ on as bats and rubbers! :lol: :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-8-WHEELS-TAB ... dZViewItem

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 17:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks Reb, that's great!

It would be really good if you can find out the actual name of the table, so that others can use this, and be able to buy from other places (besides the Ebay person) as well.

BTW is DPT the name or brand of table 1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 18:17 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Actually its hard to work out the middle letter, I think it might be DYP. The other table has no name marking at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 19:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Perhaps you can ask the seller? I've never heard of either brand, so perhaps Ebay will be the only place to get them anyway :wink:

Anyone else would like to post something on tables they have tried?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 00:51 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Or perhaps they were home made tables, the seller made a ton of money selling you for $150. :lol: :lol:

Hey ReBorn, when you put polyurethane on the table top, the ball surely would skid a little. Since you can only play against a return borad (am I correct), how do you know the ball didn't skid at the bounce on the other side.

Remember what I said the last time I was playing at the San Jose State University last month in that club, they have put in so many layers polyurethane to protect the table surface and I kept missing the ball by an inch whenever my opponent hit the ball hard to my side, they didn't bounce to my expected height.

I think you should undo the polyurethane when it is not to late. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 01:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

First Tat, if someone didn't lose money on my tables I''ll go he. The delivery fee of $60 from Sydney to Melbourne is quite valid (1000km by truck). The frame and table top to buy unpainted would cost more than $90. This is why they put much fewer tables up on Ebay now at low starting price as they realised they were not in high enough demand to always make their money back. I was just lucky to get in early. Have you looked at the pics of my tables Tat? They are easily as good as anything you will buy in a store for $350-400. Much better than the flimsy one's available for around $200 at K-mart.

Second Tat, I do play games against others as well as hitting against my training board. And their is no noticeable skidding. If there was my very fussy (but very nice) Indian friends would have pointed it out long ago lol. The reason for this is in the way I applied the poly by buffing it into the table surface and paint as it was drying and taking the excess poly away on the buffer. Left a deep glazed finish behind, without having any extra slipperiness to it. I am not stupid, I do know a thing or two about applying paints and the like being the son of a master painter and having grown up being taught by him. The bounce on my table is exactly as it was prior to applying the poly and there is virtually no difference to comp tables. (Except from the slight difference you might expect from 16mm compared to 22mm). So I have no intention of taking the poly off, which would wreck the table anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 04:39 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Good, I was just worry because of my experience in San Jose last month. I am happy you are happy with your tables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 12:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

and if you ever get a rubber stuck on the table, it will be much easier to remove... :lol: :lol: :lol: