OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007, 19:58 
Super User

I was just looking at some of the vids on Der_E's youtube site. Found the following: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimoBoll22

This is a really simple drill - push, other players pushes back, then Loop Drive. Do it again, and again, and again ... ... and again and ... :oops: (<-- that's me going getting hot and flushed ...)

This is a really great way to build up skill with the loop drive, and to get you to attack, attack, attack. Also gets you sweating pretty profusely :!:

Anyone else got any examples of simple drills like that?

I call this a simple drill - its simple in that its push, push, drive. Its not so simple in execution in that it requires footwork, eye on ball, good arm movement, follow through, timing, etc etc etc. I guess that's what's called training :!:

Last edited by andrefox on 25 Aug 2007, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007, 20:04 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I think that's supposed to be
1. serve to BH,
2. push to FH
3. loop crosscourt

I don't think that is really a very productive exercise. Sure, I guess you could say that it's working on positioning between the serve and the FH loop, but it's not actually making the guy move much, if at all.

Also, his serve is illegal :P

There are a lot of drills like these.
I was doing one earlier today - to integrate between the 1st loop and the 2nd.
1. Coach push feeds to FH
2. P1 loops vs push across court
3. P2 blocks back to FH
4. P1 loops (or smashes) vs block across court
5. play out the point

5. is optional.

Also, there's no actual timo boll involved there. It's just the guy's username.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007, 20:13 
Super User

Any drills of that nature need two components in my opinion..

1) Your real serve, even if you only use the chop one, and not the float etc.

2) Random placement, with serve and receive. The key to knowing your serves is knowing where to recover to based on where you have served the ball to. For this to happen the placement needs to be open on both the shots prior to the opening topspin.

It is much easier footwork wise going from your BH to your forehand, so if you serve short to the backhand, you can afford to recover slightly further around your backhand corner in anticipation of getting your forehand in from there. Etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007, 20:13 
Super User

Silver wrote:

Also, there's no actual timo boll involved there. It's just the guy's username.

Well that's a bit darned cheeky of him! Got suckered on that one! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007, 20:21 
Super User

I agree its not very game realistic. However, I've really been struggling to get any FH loops going lately, so just running through that routine with son number 1 was a great help. Basically what I was looking to do was to attack as hard as possible and get the ball on (of course :lol: ).

I tried it with both bat setups. The was probably the first time that I have really noticed how much faster the X560 is than the Stiga (takes me a while to work things out sometimes :? ). I also tried getting the return to my backhand and driving it Seemiller style - no joy there I'm afraid -much more work needed before I bring that style out with hostiles present :eye:

A pleasing finding was that I very quickly adapted to the different bats on change. This is good as I am planning on using either/both at comps depending on speed of opponent (slow bat for fast opponent and vice versa).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007, 20:25 
I am Legend
I am Legend

andrefox wrote:
However, I've really been struggling to get any FH loops going lately,

Fix this by getting someone to feed you a box of balls, with your choice of spin.

Or a robot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007, 20:34 
Super User

Son gets pretty robot like after 3/4 hour doing the above drill :lol:

Club has a robot - should get it out more often.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007, 22:01 
EJ in recovery

andrefox wrote:
I was just looking at some of the vids on Der_E's youtube site. Found the following: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimoBoll22

This is a really simple drill - push, other players pushes back, then Loop Drive. Do it again, and again, and again ... ... and again and ... :oops: (<-- that's me going getting hot and flushed ...)

This is a really great way to build up skill with the loop drive, and to get you to attack, attack, attack. Also gets you sweating pretty profusely :!:

Anyone else got any examples of simple drills like that?

I call this a simple drill - its simple in that its push, push, drive. Its not so simple in execution in that it requires footwork, eye on ball, good arm movement, follow through, timing, etc etc etc. I guess that's what's called training :!:

if your having a hard time looping backspin then it's a very good excersize,you can put as much or as little backspin on the serve as you want in order to get variation,more people need to do this for the BH than FH because many have a hard time bith BH loop

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007, 22:07 
Super User

alfie wrote:
... snip ... more people need to do this for the BH than FH because many have a hard time bith BH loop

This is a bit harder for my poor partner because of the long pips on the BH. Guess I'll need to use the mechanical robot for that one :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2007, 22:07 
EJ in recovery

lot of slow mo here to show you proper blade angle and proper form......btw I think this guy is not bad :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn10X3T2 ... ed&search=

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!