OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Timo Boll W7 Review
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 05:49 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

I have been looking at this blade for a while, It has really caught my eye, well all the new timo boll blades have!

I have been searching for reviews/comparisons on this blade but it looks like no one has created one :roll: or do i suck at researching LOL.

I was wondering has anyone used it? Can you give me/us some feedback?

Last edited by Ilovetabletennis on 21 Aug 2009, 01:17, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Timo Boll W7
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 02:31 
Super User

So, here's what I know about these two:

I tested the W7 for a short time in a different club, so my impressions might be wrong, but info is info.

Technical facts: The W7 is quite similar to the Korbel SK7, only the outer veneer is different (korbel=Limba; W7=Koto). The W7 is a bit harder, stiffer and faster.

Blade is quite springy with a low throw angle. Short returns are hard to control, but with some training I guess it would be no problem.
You have to hit your balls well, it doesn't forgive so many mistakes.

Information from BTY: The W7 has the touch of a carbon-blade (really pretty hard for the fact it's 7-ply WOOD, without carbon)

I finally decided that this blade doesn't fit my style. I'm a spin player, so I prefer elastic blades and a higher throw angle.

So, that's what I can tell.

regs,
Christian

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 03:50 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

Thanks for that Christian, I think i will have play with the blade, i traded my friend for my kreanga carbon which was a bit battered and brused, therefore when he said he would trade me for his new W7 i couldnt say no. I will be knocking up with it tommorrow i will let you know how it performs. I will compare it to the M.maze as that is my other blade.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 16:27 
Super User

Would be interesting. I had one used Maze half a year ago, but I don't like carbon. Got it for 40€, sold it for 40€. and my team colleague is really happy with it.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 07:11 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

These Are some images, sorry for poor quailty, i used my mobile. But a picture is a picture right 8)

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 07:31 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

I had my first knock with the bat (1hour and a half); the first thing I noticed straight away was that it had a higher throw then the maze. I felt quite nice actually. The only issue I faced was the thin FL handle. It did feel like it was going to fly out of my hand at sometimes :lol: . It is 7ply wood - I was quite shocked of how fast I found the blade comparing it to the maze which is 5 plies of wood and 2 plies of arylate/carbon fibers. The maze blade has a softer feel, thus this results to the speed of the blade which has plenty of dwell time and very nice touch. The W7 was harder, maybe a bit stiffer, which also created nice speed with a good dwell time. The W7 was great for looping and hitting. These really struck out for me, because with the maze it only performed outstandingly in the topspin category. Both blades allowed me to feel the ball hence I was really able to rev it up and let the ball rip with spin. =) Therefore W7 is a great rubber for two winged loopers like me, it really performs well with topspins and counter loops. I will focus more on the touch play and see how it works out =)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
1. The Reviewer:
I am a very agressive player, creates power from my whole body. Two winged looper. I loop with my forehand and backhand. I tend have a better Forehand. Good temperment when under pressure. I tested the W7 with Hurricane 3 2.0 red (FH) and Tenergy 05 2.0 Black (BH)

2.First impressions:

I fell in love with the aesthetics of this blade, maybe that’s the only real reason why I bought it. :oops: the handle length is quite short compared to other blades. Yet your pale does have enough room to move around. It is a 7ply blade all wood compounds. The weight of this blade is said to be 95g I weigh mine around 93g. You do not believe that the blade is 7ply wood, it really does feel like a carbon blade. It is heavier then other blades I played with.

3.Speed:

-Speed on slow strokes: Performs like any other acrylate/carbon blade.

-Speed on power loops/smashes: very fast, it really did feel like a carbon blade and I actually forgot that it was :lol: it's a delight to play with the blade. There are many gears to work with. The blade really does show its true potential at top speeds, for the reason that the control is astonishing. Loop to loop, if you hit the ball in the center it give you a really nice sound which kept ringing in my ears. Topspinning underspin. WITHOUT A PROBLEM. Blade is pretty springy hence the ball just sticks on the bat and popped off and away when unleashed.

4. The W7 is pretty springy blade. Pretty Stiff in my book. Hence being able to Topspin and hit balls that you wouldn’t dream of doing before. It still gives a soft feeling to the game. I’m in love! The only issue I face is the weight. H3 and Tenergy 05 are pretty heavy and adding 93g blade to it doesn’t really sound too nice. This caused me a little problem. I have now added Express and F1 which seems like a better combination. Once I find the perfect rubbers I am sure I will soon marry this blade! :lol:

5. Control:

-Control on slow strokes: This blade is specialized in this category! Slow strokes can be performed VERY easily.

-Control on power loops/smashes: This is also an unbelievable scene. The amount of control you get when looping and smashing feels soo great you want to jump for joy! I really do like how much control is created when there is so much speed about.

-Control in short-short game; service and service receive: Not an issue. 3rd ball attack- Feels wonderful. Makes me feel like I am Timo Boll. When driving/hitting with this bat most of them went on the table where you wanted it. I feel that it is ideal for a loopers game and a hitters dream. It is a really good blade and I am sticking with it!
I traded this blade for my KC which I found way to fast. And I am not looking back at it. Really over the moon.

6. Reference:

Blades: Maze 7ply carbon blade and Kreanga Carbon.
Rubbers: H3, Tenergy, Express, F1.
As I said above I changed to express and F1 because the set up was too heavy with H3 and T05

7. Other comments
it is a really consistent blade and a blade for All-round Offensive play. This quality blade has power. The balance between attack and control enables both dynamic and delicate control play.
I think I have found my new blade. If not I am always happy to go back to my maze which is also another great blade to have. With the right technique this blade will really shine. It will not let you down.

Feel free to ask any questions I will try answer them as quickly and as detailed as possible.

Post subject: Re: Timo Boll W7 Review
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009, 00:46 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

I will be having another training session with the blade today so feel free to ask me any questions. I will type up what i have experienced today also. I am quiet suprised no one has posted back :shock: feels like i am the only one on this thread LOL

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009, 01:18 
Super User

Nice review. I'm really eased the blades fits you that perfect. It would have been not so good if you had bought fire wood for 90€.

Looking forward to how the blade performs in your second session.

BTW: Don't jump for joy while playing.You'd probably lose the point.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2009, 07:48 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

4 and a half hours training 8). Really went well from the start. I changed my rubbers. I have Express 1 on my forehand and F1 on my backhand (a much lighter combo).

Forehand drives- Felt really nice had a lot of control this also goes to backhand drives.
Topspins- It felt much better this time around for the reason that i had alot of power and spin in my TP (so im glad to say im back to normal haha). The blade gives a really nice feel when the ball makes contact; i cannot stress how much control i get!!! :twisted: and the sound created rings in my ears constantly, feels like heaven. People even asked if i was using speed glue. I felt like i was insulted for a min :x :lol:

Topspinning underspin- With my forhand it was good, plays like Maze but the maze gave a lower throw. But there was not much difference IMO. I hardly missed any with my forehand. With my backhand it was less consistant. I had problems but i know the reason. The backhand rubber is softer hence i missed quite a few. I usually have a harder rubber on the backhand.

Loop to Loop- Once again amazing consistanty i believe its because of the control =]. It really felt like a carbon blade, nice and springy. I think i have never been able to loop to loop for so long. People even stopped to watch. It really made me smile felt like the actual timo boll for a while haha.

Short game- I dont have to say much apart from this is the best part of the blade. Serving feels great i really get some nice spinny kicking serves.

Pushing and chopping- IS ALRIGHT. i do not chop much so i cannot say anything on that but a did a few pushing. its was ok but the maze was more... Hmmm how can i put it, aggresive. the W7 was 'taking it easy' hence i just resulted to do flicks which was a piece of piss! (very easy!) 8) Im sticking with this blade for a while!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!