OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 20:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The purpose of this section is for members to ask questions to ITTF President, Adham Sharara.

A huge number of questions and discussions have already taken place and PART1 and PART2 of these Adham Sharara threads, so we would encourage everyone to read through these threads first (they are stickied at the top of this section), as your questions may have already been answered and discussed.

Unfortunately many of the discussion in PART1 & 2 were going around in circles, as people did not accept the answers, and many questions were asked and discussed over and over again. This is why Adham requested to run this section differently:

1. People can ask any questions of Adham, and I (haggisv) will forward these question onto him, and he will provide his answers, which I will post back into this section. This method makes much better use of his time, as any questions that have already been answered, I can direct people to the answers already given, so that he does not need to repeat himself over and over again.

2. Adham has agreed to keep me posted on new ITTF developments, so that I can post them here and we can discuss them, and I can summarise our discussion and present them back to Adham.

3. Any other ideas or proposals that you wish to discuss with Adham can be posted here, and will be passed onto Adham for comment.

I think it's great that Adham is willing to continue to volunteer his time to answer our questions, and I'm hoping we can continue some great discussions.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 20:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Adham's ITTF Update:

We presented the idea of "Spectacular Pairs" to Volkswagen and they loved it. We will have 2 such events in 2010 called the Volkswagen Cup. The main idea as was presented at the Forum (PART2 Page 35) is to have pairs of players perform for 3 minutes the most spectacular TT they can produce. They would be judged by a panel of 3 or 4 judges giving them points based on 3 criteria: Spectacular play, Consistency, Degree of difficulty.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 11:31 
Super User

Adham wrote:
Regarding BLADES, we have discovered that some manufacturers actually shave the blade (concave shaving) in order to allow for thicker rubber to be used, or to allow for the expansion of the rubber when boosted.

( viewtopic.php?p=109168#p109168 )

Hi Adham,

I would greatly appreciate it, if you could give us some more details:

1. Which manufacturers shave blades?

2. Which blades of these manufacturers are shaved?

3. Do they sell these blades openly on the market? If yes, in which countries?

4. Were any players caught using these blades? If yes, who exactly and at which tournaments?

Thank you.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009, 08:33 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Question for Adham. I notices rubbers from the SE7EN Company are no longer on List 30B. Is this a mistake or are rubbers fropm this company no longer authorized? Since I own a few sheets of the SE7EN pips, I just wondered what is wrong with them?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2009, 07:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Here is Adham reply:

Adham wrote:
I asked our office and here is the answer:

They were removed because they have not paid the fees. The company explained that due to financial reasons they were unable to pay the fees. They intend to clear all the outstanding payments and get back on the list No.31 next April.

It seems that they did not pay the 2008 and 2009 fees. However, if they pay all outstanding fees they will then be reinstated, but not before 1 April 2010. Usually we send at least 3 reminders for those that have an outstanding fee before we issue the list. Severeal pay at the last moment, in this case they missed all the deadlines and reminders as well.

Adham

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2009, 12:11 
Super User

Adham wrote:

They were removed because they have not paid the fees.

The only rule about withdrawal of authorisation I found in the ITTF Handbook is this:

Quote:
"3.02.01.01 The approval and authorisation of playing equipment shall be conducted on behalf of the Board of Directors by the Equipment Committee; approval or authorisation may be withdrawn by the Board of Directors at any time if its continuation is found to be detrimental to the sport."

The sense of rubber authorisation is to make sure, that the rubbers meet certain criteria, not making money. The ITTF has a non-profit status. Were the rubbers in question found to be detrimental to the sport? If not, their authorisation may not be withdrawn, according to my understanding of the ITTF rules.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2009, 13:12 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Smartguy wrote:
Adham wrote:

They were removed because they have not paid the fees.

The only rule about withdrawal of authorisation I found in the ITTF Handbook is this:

Quote:
"3.02.01.01 The approval and authorisation of playing equipment shall be conducted on behalf of the Board of Directors by the Equipment Committee; approval or authorisation may be withdrawn by the Board of Directors at any time if its continuation is found to be detrimental to the sport."

The sense of rubber authorisation is to make sure, that the rubbers meet certain criteria, not making money. The ITTF has a non-profit status. Were the rubbers in question found to be detrimental to the sport? If not, their authorisation may not be withdrawn, according to my understanding of the ITTF rules.

Maybe you should look harder.

7. A fee will be due for each year a racket covering remains on the List of Authorised
Racket Coverings. The supplier will notify ITTF when a covering should be removed from
the List.

From the instructions to suppliers pdf.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2009, 14:15 
Super User

Silver wrote:
Maybe you should look harder.

7. A fee will be due for each year a racket covering remains on the List of Authorised
Racket Coverings. The supplier will notify ITTF when a covering should be removed from
the List.

From the instructions to suppliers pdf.

Thank you, I didn't need to look harder, because I knew about fees.

The point is, that ITTF may demand whatever they want from manufacturers, e.g. monthly or daily fees, why not :) , but the rule about withdrawal of authorisation is clear: the only legal reason for withdrawal is "if its continuation is found to be detrimental to the sport". I don't see any legal way around this simple rule.

This leads, of course, to the question, whether the current situation with yearly fees is legally OK, but this is an issue between the manufacturers and ITTF.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2009, 17:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think it is quite reasonable that if the fees are not paid, the authorisation is withdrawn,.. It's the same for every manufacturer and they all have to pay these fees, and they get plenty of warnings and reminders... It is probably part of the agreement when they first apply for authorisation.

It would be unfair on the other manufacturers if someone does not pay the fees without penalty... So I don't see it as very constructive to discuss if it's technically legal or now...

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2009, 17:42 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
I think it is quite reasonable that if the fees are not paid, the authorisation is withdrawn,..

... So I don't see it as very constructive to discuss if it's technically legal or now...

OK, we can ignore the legal aspect of the issue. I find it reasonable, that if manufacturers apply for authorisation of their rubbers, they have to pay for the authorisation tests in advance. At the same time I find the current practice of yearly fees bad for 2 reasons. First, in my understanding, the yearly fees after the first one have been taken practically for nothing. And second, the current practice creates problems for the players, who legally buy their authorised rubbers and suddenly can not use them any longer, if the manufacturer goes broke e.g.. Although these rubbers still meet all the authorisation criteria.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2009, 18:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Smartguy wrote:
OK, we can ignore the legal aspect of the issue. I find it reasonable, that if manufacturers apply for authorisation of their rubbers, they have to pay for the authorisation tests in advance. At the same time I find the current practice of yearly fees bad for 2 reasons. First, in my understanding, the yearly fees after the first one have been taken practically for nothing. And second, the current practice creates problems for the players, who legally buy their authorised rubbers and suddenly can not use them any longer, if the manufacturer goes broke e.g.. Although these rubbers still meet all the authorisation criteria.

Yes I agree... I never said that I didn't...

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 00:00 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Smartguy wrote:
the current practice creates problems for the players, who legally buy their authorised rubbers and suddenly can not use them any longer, if the manufacturer goes broke e.g.. Although these rubbers still meet all the authorisation criteria.

Ask Adham if once the ITTF starts approving blades, when a blade manufacturer goes out of business (or dies) and stops paying annual fees, are we no longer allowed to use our blades?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 05:10 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
Ask Adham if once the ITTF starts approving blades, when a blade manufacturer goes out of business (or dies) and stops paying annual fees, are we no longer allowed to use our blades?

A very good question, mynamenotbob! :)

I am still waiting for clear answers to my 4 simple questions I asked a weak ago. The ones about "shaved" blades.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 07:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

mynamenotbob wrote:
Smartguy wrote:
the current practice creates problems for the players, who legally buy their authorised rubbers and suddenly can not use them any longer, if the manufacturer goes broke e.g.. Although these rubbers still meet all the authorisation criteria.

Yes a good question indeed!

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 08:32 

mynamenotbob wrote:
Smartguy wrote:

Regarding this question, i'd like to know, if it would be allowed to minimize the blade size in order to reduce the weight?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!