OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 10:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Would you mind adjusting the size of yuor signature please... it's a little big and makes the threads harder to read... We encourage everyone to restrict it to 5 lines. You can put a lot on 5 lines, and can probably fit most of your current stuff in there.

The discussions on signature size is here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3865

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 10:29 

I apologize for that :/ I made it a lot more compact.

Nittaku Violin/ BH: Tenergy 64 / FH: Hurricane 3 National 38deg
Experimenting with weird combinations... And I may find a permanent setup.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 11:27 

Finished drying... Finally. The Flextra is unbelievably grippy, even more than that when it came in the package deal! Incredible. I'm considering using olive oil every month or two on my rubbers.

Nittaku Violin/ BH: Tenergy 64 / FH: Hurricane 3 National 38deg
Experimenting with weird combinations... And I may find a permanent setup.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 13:04 

To clean my rubber I have been spitting on it a few times, then rubbing it back and forth across the bottom of my forearm(not much hair there). It evaporates within 15 seconds and seems to be working fine, leaving the rubber clean and as tacky as original. Does anyone else do this? Are there certain rubbers this is not ok for? I have been using this method on red Solcion and black Tackiness Chop, but only starting a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 13:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

rubixmaster85 wrote:
Finished drying... Finally. The Flextra is unbelievably grippy, even more than that when it came in the package deal! Incredible. I'm considering using olive oil every month or two on my rubbers.

Using it too often will start to effect the feel and weight of the rubber... it absorbs quite a bit of the oil every time you use it...

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 13:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Gneiss wrote:
To clean my rubber I have been spitting on it a few times, then rubbing it back and forth across the bottom of my forearm(not much hair there). It evaporates within 15 seconds and seems to be working fine, leaving the rubber clean and as tacky as original. Does anyone else do this? Are there certain rubbers this is not ok for? I have been using this method on red Solcion and black Tackiness Chop, but only starting a few weeks ago.

Probably not a good idea for long term, as the spit would probably contain some acid which will start to eat away your rubber over time...

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2010, 15:09 

haggisv wrote:
Gneiss wrote:

Probably not a good idea for long term, as the spit would probably contain some acid which will start to eat away your rubber over time...

Agreed. Saliva contains solvents that are used to preemptively break down food before reaching the stomach, so I would assume it's not very good for your rubber at all.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 03:56 

Doesn't saliva only break down sugars? Does anyone know the specifics of what most rubbers are actually composed of? I guess I will let you guys know if anything changes but so far my method has been working amazingly. I tried water, takes much much longer for the racket to dry, effects seem pretty similar, maybe not quite as tacky as spit.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 13:51 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Erhem, major thread revival here, I know, but it IS related. Would canola oil (pure canola, which is made from rapeseed) do as good of a job as olive oil? I want to revive a really old sheet of bryce, but I don't wanna mess it up....I know you guys always talk about olive oil, but I don't think we have any.....

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 14:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I would guess it makes little difference which oil you use... I've used other vegatable oils and it still worked fine.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 13:00 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
To report back, I just did it on the bryce! I left a very thin (maybe a little less than nickel sized) layer of canola oil (pure canola) on the rubber, left it for a couple minutes, came back and respread for a more even soaking, and let it dry. After that, I washed it off (a drop of dawn dishwashing liquid and plenty of water), and let it dry. (of course I dried all around the sponge with a paper towel) When it was done, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: It was VERY spinny!!!!! (before it was almost as smooth as glass, if you know what I mean) Though I wouldn't use this in a competition, it could save me some money in the long run, cuz I won't have to replace rubbers as often!

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 21:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Images are not showing, only a red X, using Windows 7, any idea what settings I might have botched?
tOD

haggisv wrote:
After discussion on other threads here I decided to test some of the rubber cleaning techniques. I found an old rubber (Dawei Sprungfeder A-4) which has had a lot of use and is well worn. It's now totally non-tacky and has even lost a lot of it's grip... feels quite smooth.

Image[/img]

As you can see I have divided up the rubber into 4 sections with masking tape, each section can be treated with a different cleaner so that we can compare the results. I know water will not revive this rubber, so I won't use this as a test

The possible options are:
1. vegie oil as described in other thread
2. rubber cleaner foam
3. orange power cleaner
4. WD40
5. Other rubber cleaners (eg JUIC mini cleaner/rubber cleaner II)
6. Any others?

Unfortunately I don't have any spinmax, otherwise this would be a good test too. Option 1 is the main reason I want to do this experiment, but what would be the best other options... I'm open to suggestion...

Cheers!

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 21:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

theOldDuffer wrote:
Images are not showing, only a red X, using Windows 7, any idea what settings I might have botched?tOD

Nothing you did... the pictures were posted on the old forum URL, and I had not properly re-directed it. Fixed! :oops:

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 21:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

THE GAMEr wrote:
To report back, I just did it on the bryce! I left a very thin (maybe a little less than nickel sized) layer of canola oil (pure canola) on the rubber, left it for a couple minutes, came back and respread for a more even soaking, and let it dry. After that, I washed it off (a drop of dawn dishwashing liquid and plenty of water), and let it dry. (of course I dried all around the sponge with a paper towel) When it was done, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: It was VERY spinny!!!!! (before it was almost as smooth as glass, if you know what I mean) Though I wouldn't use this in a competition, it could save me some money in the long run, cuz I won't have to replace rubbers as often!

Great to hear it worked! :rock:

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011, 21:40 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Gneiss wrote:

Don't use that green / yellow stuff!!!!! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!