OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Bomb Hammer
PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 22:03 
Super User

So I finally ordered a second sheet of sp. According to reviews this plays very similar to inverted rubber just like Tango Ultra, Raystorm and 802-40. I will put it on my gergely or clipper. I wonder if is sp suit my off the bounce agressive backhand blocking game.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Bomb Hammer
PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 22:38 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

....well I would perhaps put ut it up a couple of notches above the 802-40 in performing as inverted (plus points on getting max sponge).

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 07:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

sunflex wrote:
So I finally ordered a second sheet of sp. According to reviews this plays very similar to inverted rubber just like Tango Ultra, Raystorm and 802-40. I will put it on my gergely or clipper. I wonder if is sp suit my off the bounce agressive backhand blocking game.

Oddly enough I was just discussing this rubber as an alternative to TU with a mate in the UK.

I would be most interested in hearing how it works for you.

A couple of questions: Did you purchase the max thickness? Where did you order it from?
thanks
tOD

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 11:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

theOldDuffer wrote:
sunflex wrote:

Oddly enough I was just discussing this rubber as an alternative to TU with a mate in the UK.

I would be most interested in hearing how it works for you.

A couple of questions: Did you purchase the max thickness? Where did you order it from?
thanks
tOD[/quote

There appear to be at least two versions of this rubber, one perhaps tension (G) and one not. Any insights on this?
tOD

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2010, 12:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

There appear to be at least two versions of this rubber, one perhaps tension (G) and one not. Any insights on this?
tOD[/quote]

According to Eacheng there are three different Bomb Hammer types, the difference is in the sponge sheet used. They range in price from less that ten USD to about 25USD, still less than Tango Ultra.
tOD

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 00:22 
Super User

theOldDuffer wrote:
tOD

According to Eacheng there are three different Bomb Hammer types, the difference is in the sponge sheet used. They range in price from less that ten USD to about 25USD, still less than Tango Ultra.
tOD[/quote]

my sheet arrived today I bought the Black sheet in 2.2 thickness, it's the economical version. I bought it from the i love pingpong webshop. I will test it out soon. I haven't had much experience with short pips( only a bit with 388b and speedy soft dtecs), so Im curious if it will suit me.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2010, 03:55 
Super User

I just glued the sheet on to my Clipper WRB. The sponge is very firm, feels much firmer than the stated 35-38 degree hardness.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2010, 03:03 
Super User

My first impressions of this rubber are good, it's great for hitting and blocking. The topsheet is very spinny, so it works great for serving. Looping against topspin is not possible though, opening loops against backspin can be done after some adjustments. The speed of this rubber 2.2 is not very fast, definitely slower than fast inverted sheets. From what I've read about Tango Ultra I don't think this rubber is similar to it.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 23:45 
Super User

After two sessions with this rubber I found out that it's really similar to inverted, it has almost no disturbing effects. It's great for blocking and hitting, dropshots are very nice too. This rubber can produce some spinny serves and opening loops after some practice. What I don't like about this rubber is the speed, it's super slow against slow shots, you can't put away a slow high ball with a simple backhand punch How can you put away slow balls with sp?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 03:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

sunflex wrote:
Quote:
My first impressions of this rubber are good, it's great for hitting and blocking. The topsheet is very spinny, so it works great for serving. Looping against topspin is not possible though, opening loops against backspin can be done after some adjustments. The speed of this rubber 2.2 is not very fast, definitely slower than fast inverted sheets. From what I've read about Tango Ultra I don't think this rubber is similar to it.

The tricky thing about short pips is that they should not be conceived like inverted. Lately a lot of supposedly inverted-like SP have come to the market which in fact are not much different from classic SP with soft pips and/or soft sponge. The fact that they will (if used in the right manner) sort of loop attracts players with poor loop-countering skills who hope to improve their lack of technique with a rubber - just like players who go for LP's to cover up weaknesses instead of improve defending possibilities. Good SP players can make use of SP's which allow more than usual spin, but mediocre players should steer clear of any pips at all, if not from the game. Looping against topspin with SP is technically and tactically completely unsound; and if you think a 2.2 SP is slower than a 2.2 inverted you aren't hitting the ball the way it should be hit. Generally, looking for SP's which are in any respect like inverted is really a waste of time. The Bomb SP was designed - like Friendship 802-40 or Globe 889-2 or the latest Double Fish short pips - to allow for more variation in the classic short pips game, but not early on in the rally; they allow a player to keep on hitting even when (contrary to good tactics) pushed away from the table, and so to get back to it and into the game. The rubber is also applicable as a backhand rubber for players with a pseudo-defensive backhand (Wang Tao style) who use blocking and counter-driving to set up a forehand attack.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 05:53 
Super User

Kees wrote:
sunflex wrote:
Quote:

The tricky thing about short pips is that they should not be conceived like inverted. Lately a lot of supposedly inverted-like SP have come to the market which in fact are not much different from classic SP with soft pips and/or soft sponge. The fact that they will (if used in the right manner) sort of loop attracts players with poor loop-countering skills who hope to improve their lack of technique with a rubber - just like players who go for LP's to cover up weaknesses instead of improve defending possibilities. Good SP players can make use of SP's which allow more than usual spin, but mediocre players should steer clear of any pips at all, if not from the game. Looping against topspin with SP is technically and tactically completely unsound; and if you think a 2.2 SP is slower than a 2.2 inverted you aren't hitting the ball the way it should be hit. Generally, looking for SP's which are in any respect like inverted is really a waste of time. The Bomb SP was designed - like Friendship 802-40 or Globe 889-2 or the latest Double Fish short pips - to allow for more variation in the classic short pips game, but not early on in the rally; they allow a player to keep on hitting even when (contrary to good tactics) pushed away from the table, and so to get back to it and into the game. The rubber is also applicable as a backhand rubber for players with a pseudo-defensive backhand (Wang Tao style) who use blocking and counter-driving to set up a forehand attack.

I just choose the Bomb Hammer to make the easiest transition coming from Inverted. My style with inverted is a lot of flat hitting with only a very small percentage looping, yes I think fast inverted rubbers are faster than most sp rubbers, I don't say that you can't hit hard with sp, and that they are all slow.Only punching seems so much faster with inverted IMHO. You still haven't answered my question though mister pips expert ( I suppose you're the beardy guy that I have seen walking around at some tournaments). And that question is how to deal with slow balls when using sp.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 16:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I prefer not be called names like "mister pips expert" or "beardy guy", and if you have seen me around on tournaments, you could have put your questions to me then and there, as it is easier to show a problem than to post it, and to demonstrate something than to explain it. Generally, though, if you want to get answers to your questions, being polite is not a bad policy. But anyhow:
Sunflex wrote:
Quote:
What I don't like about this rubber is the speed, it's super slow against slow shots, you can't put away a slow high ball with a simple backhand punch How can you put away slow balls with sp?

A clean backhand punch (viz. a stroke without a swing) against a slow ball does not produce much speed since you have only the wrist and part of the underarm to work with. If done with inverted, it is possible to produce topspin with the wrist-flick and this will make the ball land faster and bounce lower, giving at least the impression of speed; if done with SP, however, spin will be minimal. With SP, a slow ball should be hit. Bend your upper body forward, right-hand shoulder mostly towards the incoming ball, so you make room to bring your arm back for the swing; make sure your wrist is closer to your body than your elbow. Then hit out, transferring your weight to your right leg simultaneously in order to put your whole body into the hit; but don't overdo this, keep the forward movement fast and small, so you won't lose your balance.

Then there is something else. The transition from inverted to short pips has been discussed here several times, I think. Some players prefer a gradual one, choosing inverted-like pips, and this is understandable, for if you have spent a lot of time and trouble in learning something it is hard to give it up for something else which might not even work for you; but the problem with it is that it delays getting rid of inverted-oriented reflexes. The transition to SP (even if just for the backhand or forehand) generally also involves using a different blade, as most blades used for inverted are less suitable for pips. Even if you want to keep your inverted for your forehand, if you want to be able to attack with your SP backhand you need a stiffer blade with a harder feel, 7 ply instead of 5 ply; this is necessary to get the maximum speed and control out of an SP rubber. Flexible blades are less suitable. This will mean a different feel for the inverted forehand too, which complicates things even more if a player likes to keep at least part of his all-inverted technique. Making a clean break, concentrating fully on the new technical and tactical issues, is probably better. On the other hand, staying all-inverted frequently makes good sense too, as many problems with inverted concerning blocking and punching can be solved by changing to thinner sponge, harder sponge, less tacky top-sheet, etc.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 23:04 
Super User

Kees wrote:
I prefer not be called names like "mister pips expert" or "beardy guy", and if you have seen me around on tournaments, you could have put your questions to me then and there, as it is easier to show a problem than to post it, and to demonstrate something than to explain it. Generally, though, if you want to get answers to your questions, being polite is not a bad policy. But anyhow:
Sunflex wrote:
Quote:
What I don't like about this rubber is the speed, it's super slow against slow shots, you can't put away a slow high ball with a simple backhand punch How can you put away slow balls with sp?

A clean backhand punch (viz. a stroke without a swing) against a slow ball does not produce much speed since you have only the wrist and part of the underarm to work with. If done with inverted, it is possible to produce topspin with the wrist-flick and this will make the ball land faster and bounce lower, giving at least the impression of speed; if done with SP, however, spin will be minimal. With SP, a slow ball should be hit. Bend your upper body forward, right-hand shoulder mostly towards the incoming ball, so you make room to bring your arm back for the swing; make sure your wrist is closer to your body than your elbow. Then hit out, transferring your weight to your right leg simultaneously in order to put your whole body into the hit; but don't overdo this, keep the forward movement fast and small, so you won't lose your balance.

Then there is something else. The transition from inverted to short pips has been discussed here several times, I think. Some players prefer a gradual one, choosing inverted-like pips, and this is understandable, for if you have spent a lot of time and trouble in learning something it is hard to give it up for something else which might not even work for you; but the problem with it is that it delays getting rid of inverted-oriented reflexes. The transition to SP (even if just for the backhand or forehand) generally also involves using a different blade, as most blades used for inverted are less suitable for pips. Even if you want to keep your inverted for your forehand, if you want to be able to attack with your SP backhand you need a stiffer blade with a harder feel, 7 ply instead of 5 ply; this is necessary to get the maximum speed and control out of an SP rubber. Flexible blades are less suitable. This will mean a different feel for the inverted forehand too, which complicates things even more if a player likes to keep at least part of his all-inverted technique. Making a clean break, concentrating fully on the new technical and tactical issues, is probably better. On the other hand, staying all-inverted frequently makes good sense too, as many problems with inverted concerning blocking and punching can be solved by changing to thinner sponge, harder sponge, less tacky top-sheet, etc.

thanks for your advice Kees, I use the Bomb Hammer and a Stiga Boost TP max on a Clipper WRB which is solid enough I suppose. I will try this setup a few more times, to see if I can improve with it. Sorry for my earlier comment I was in a bad mood.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010, 01:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Sunflex wrote:
Quote:
I use the Bomb Hammer and a Stiga Boost TP max on a Clipper WRB which is solid enough I suppose.

Moods happen. A Clipper should do fine. I understand you're going to use the SP on your backhand; it would be very informative to have a good look at video's of Wang Tao (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7784), as he too is a power-oriented player, focusing on speed and precision instead of on spin. His match against Samsonov is great (and hilarious, when the light fails). Especially watch the minimum of wrist-movement he is using when active blocking and driving with his backhand; almost everything is done with the underarm, and the wrist remains largely inactive, resulting in a fast and short (!!) swing pivoting around the elbow. This stroke will safely return any incoming topspin with a lot of force and precision, but you have to make contact very soon after the bounce; Wang tends to contact each and every ball on the same height, invariably moving in for it! It is the primary stroke, in my opinion, to master when you make the switch from inverted; everything else will come later. And in contrast, the forward-stretching punch with almost the entire arm and wrist, contacting the ball with the tip of the blade, which is popular with women these days, will make a lot less force and should probably be avoided, if you still want to center your game around hard hitting.
I'd be interested to hear how you fare with this.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2010, 21:04 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!