OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010, 23:43 
Super User

Here is the picture of IKARUS.

I will start to write how I designed this blade here.

And here is one review.

http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/forum_po ... 875#404875

1. How I learned about long pimple rubbers.

When I was in the university, I joined table tennis club. And in that club, I had to follow harsh internal rules. I had to do form-training, that's what we called, which means I had to train my swing form in front of a big mirror inside of our club room more than one tousand times a day every week days for one month before I can let my blade touch a ball.
While I do that mirror training, a lot of senior players kept on criticizing on my swinging movement without a ball, and that was not enjoyable at all.
After that, I could start "many balls training" which means I could not play with a person and I only have to hit the balls coming from senior player's one-side tossing from a ball basket.
That took more than 2 months,then we could start playing with a real person. And it took about a year before I could start looping, of course after many months of chopping training.
So, basically, our club has it's own style. it was like a total training program built up by many years of it's own history.

So, basically, it took a year before I could decide what kind of style I would choose.

Anyway, after that hard one year, I started looping training.
And some senior players thought that it would be great if they could have one defensive player in our club which will help that every one can get better trainings.

So, they picked me up, and I was not sure what it would be like, but I took the offer.
I thought it would be cool if I could be a good defensive player, but my playing character was very much aggresive even at that time.

By the way, at that time, there was very few who could play with shake hand blade, and more than 95% were Japanese Penholder players.
Moreover, it was extermely difficult to meet a defensive player.
So, how could I ever be able to learn how to play in a defensive way?
First I had to switch from Japanese pen holder to shake hand blade.
Then I had to learn defensive style, which was totally new and different from what I had been doing.

I started to study, and I watched videos a lot, because I could not have any other souce of trainings, and even those things were not easy to get.
I read all the stuffs I could get, and I started to study long pimple rubbers, and also short pimples, anti-spin.... and whole new blades.

At that time, we did not have good information that it wasn't easy to train a defensive player in such surroundings, and I did not know I was not suitable to become one.

It took 2 years that I finally came to a decision that I could not become one good defensive players.

It was very important matter at that time.
I was a student, but I spent 3 ~ 7 hours a day in playing table tennis.
(I was not a good player compared with other players in my club, but I really liked playing)
Actually, our club has only 2~4 players per one year, because it's not possible to find that much crazy-in-table tennis guys more than that among 4,000 new students in one year.

When I decided to turn back to offensive playing style, everything I learned became opposite way. I trid really hard to go downward and backward, but I had to make it upward and forward if I wanted to become offensive player again.

So, that's the brief story I first leaned table tennis and how I got to know long pimple rubbers and lots of blades.

Anyway, it's already quite old story.

2. How long pimple out rubbers came into Korea

When I entered this market, Korea started to experience new challenge.
For many years, amatuer tournaments did not allow long pips players to participate in local amateur tournaments in Korea.
There could be lots of reasons for that, but little by little, people started to use more and more long pips, and the association could not prevent all those long pips players from participating in those tournaments.
So, there came out that more and more tournaments allowed long pimple out players to play in those matches.

It was very shocking situation for normal amature players that they had to play against long pips players in the local tournaments.
There happened lots of arguments in many ways, but population using long pips burst out to increase.
Maybe it's around 2002~2004.
And I started my table tennis business in 2005.

I came to know , little by little, Hallmark and Dr. Neubauer, new long pimple out rubbers blades. And all the new rubbers became big challenges for me.
I had to find out how I could play against those new rubbers, and also I had to find out how I could sell those new rubbers and long pips blades.

I happened to associate with some disabled players, and I could get lots of new experiences from them also.
I became Tibhar agent in 2006 and I started to think that I could make a new kind of long pimple blade.

That's how I started to design a blade for the first time.
I co-worked with one guy, and we came up with a new idea about long-pimple our rubbers-oriented blades.
That's how we released a blade named "Musiro" in Korean market.
I designed one-ply carbon structure, and the size of the blade was done by another partner, Joo In Baek.
(He is now sick, and I'm really sorry about that.)

Here is the picture of that blade.

You can meet the blade here. :

http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=717

That blade was a big success in Korea.
And I was quite satisfied with the function of that blade.

In 2007, I tried another blade, which is faster than the first one, and it was named Mi-Large.

That became another legendary blade in Korean market.

Those two blades were produced by Tibhar, and I'm really proud of those two blades.

If I start to explain how I designed those two blades, then it would become another long story, so I would not explain that here.
But anyway, those two blades are the father of IKARUS of NEXY.

Here is the second Long Pimple out rubber blade, Mi-Large

You can meet this blade here :

http://nexy.com/shop/step1.php?number=716

I will write more in the next article.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 09:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for sharing this nexy, very interesting!

That looks like Balsa wood on the faster (carbon side) of the blade, is that right? This is interesting as I would have expected it on the slower side of the blade.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 11:11 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Thanks for sharing this nexy, very interesting!

That looks like Balsa wood on the faster (carbon side) of the blade, is that right? This is interesting as I would have expected it on the slower side of the blade.

Yes, those three blades are using light balsa.
The surface wood for Musiro and Milarge are limba,
and for Ikarus, it's Koto.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 12:01 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Hi Nexy,

Do you happen to know which blade and rubbers Kim Kyung Ah uses?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 15:37 
Super User

Those blades look really nice. Which blades are better for blocking at the table with long pips and which ones are better for chopping away from the table?

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 18:03 
Super User

bvautier wrote:
Those blades look really nice. Which blades are better for blocking at the table with long pips and which ones are better for chopping away from the table?

That's not easy to answer.
Those three blades are not for defensive players.
And three are all for long pimple players.

The most general blade for long pimple player will be musiro.
Milarge is maybe who wants to have powerful looping on his forehand side
Ikarus is for who is agile and quick in attacking.
So, you need to consider those factors, when you choose oneamong three.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 06:23 

i'm not sure i understand... this is a blade designed for long pimples but it's not a defensive blade? usually long pimples are used by defenders...or so that i what i use it for

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 12:00 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
k_adrian wrote:
i'm not sure i understand... this is a blade designed for long pimples but it's not a defensive blade? usually long pimples are used by defenders...or so that i what i use it for

tell that to the majority of pip blockers on this forum....your liable to have an angry mob after you with pitchforks... :rofl:

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 12:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

leatherback wrote:
k_adrian wrote:

tell that to the majority of pip blockers on this forum....your liable to have an angry mob after you with pitchforks... :rofl:

Only attacking, Long Pipists need apply? I still don't understand the answer.
Getting Older, by the minute, Duffer

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 15:03 
Super User

Ok, here is the answer to all of you.

As I mentioned in my before article, English is not my language, and I'm quite new to this place.
And I did not want to associate a lot here due to this factor.
But I came to realize that I need to share more about what I do in this market, so that I might have more friends to support me.
( I did not know that my poor English could evoke angry mob ;) here.)

Ok, what I meant about "defensive player", it means traditional defensive player like Joo Se Huyk or Park Mi Young.
(I personally know those two famous defensive players but I did not give my blades to be tested, because it's not for that style.)
I don't know how I should have called that style, but I used "defensive style" for those styles.

And I used "long pimple out players" or "long pips players" for those people who usually play with OX and normally play close to the table, not with big swing movement for big spinny chopping, but mainly with woobling short blocking.

I don't know this discrimination is possible here or not.
But in Korean market, it's very obvious that we don't take those two style as the same.

I don't know how other company explains, but my three blades are not for those traditional defensive play style.
I don't care if some one uses my blade that way, it's ok. But when I first designed my blade, I thought of the other style more.

So, my blades are generally stable when you block the ball close to the table, and very powerful when you make top spin.
It's very good for "long pips players" as I mentioned in the upper, but not sure about "defensive players"
That's all.

Is there some people who can tell me more suitable terms for this case?
If there I need to learn some more, then I would learn.

Thank you.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 15:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

nexy wrote:
Ok, here is the answer to all of you.

As I mentioned in my before article, English is not my language, and I'm quite new to this place.
And I did not want to associate a lot here due to this factor.
But I came to realize that I need to share more about what I do in this market, so that I might have more friends to support me.
( I did not know that my poor English could evoke angry mob ;) here.)

Ok, what I meant about "defensive player", it means traditional defensive player like Joo Se Huyk or Park Mi Young.
(I personally know those two famous defensive players but I did not give my blades to be tested, because it's not for that style.)
I don't know how I should have called that style, but I used "defensive style" for those styles.

And I used "long pimple out players" or "long pips players" for those people who usually play with OX and normally play close to the table, not with big swing movement for big spinny chopping, but mainly with woobling short blocking.

I don't know this discrimination is possible here or not.
But in Korean market, it's very obvious that we don't take those two style as the same.

I don't know how other company explains, but my three blades are not for those traditional defensive play style.
I don't care if some one uses my blade that way, it's ok. But when I first designed my blade, I thought of the other style more.

So, my blades are generally stable when you block the ball close to the table, and very powerful when you make top spin.
It's very good for "long pips players" as I mentioned in the upper, but not sure about "defensive players"
That's all.

Is there some people who can tell me more suitable terms for this case?
If there I need to learn some more, then I would learn.

Thank you.

Thank you, a superb explanation and since I can't even order food in Korean I am certainly not one to criticize your English. I believe that we close to the table blockers will find the blade of supreme interest.
tOD

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 18:02 
Super User

3. How I came up with one-ply carbon blade idea?

In 2006, Long pimple rubber market was big.
There came out lots of new products for long pimple rubber blockers.

(I will discriminate here two types of players with different terms.

LONG PIPS BLOCKER : players who mostly use ox rubbers and stay close to the table, and not do big swing chopping away from the table like Joo Se Huyk or Park Mi Young. For an examle, Dr. Neaubauer will be long pips blocker in my writing.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER : I will use this term for traditionally accepted deffensive players, like Joo Se huyk.)

At that time, all the issues were related with thos long pips blockers.
Korean amateur TT association did not allow long pips for many years, and people did not know how to play with them.

So, suddenly, it became a magicall technique with whcih you can become better player.
People started to buy various kinds of rubbers and blades to test.
So, the market became bigger with those special rubbes and blades.

And I was in the center of that trend.
I was the first one who contacted Hallmark, and I imported Hallmark stuffs to Korea.

But I could not be sure what is the real secret about those long pips gear.
Now I have one good long pimple our rubber, which is called Chaos, but it was not easy to come up here.
I studied, tested and visited a lot.
It will not be a short story.

Any way, as far as I know, Balsa was very good mateial for this kind of blade. It was amazing that balsa has not been popular in this market for so long years. This mateial is good, and it has obvious uniqueness.

But the thing is, normally those long pips blockers are very different from other general players.
We can not easily guess that there could be one player who usually attacks only on his forehand, and usually block of defend on his back hand, if it were not for OX long pimple out rubber.

It's apparent that if you are playing with pimple in rubbers on both hands, then you try to attack as much as you can.
But this new style I met in the market tends to focus on blocking or pushing, mainly close to the net, up one the table, and for the other side they need very powerful smash or top spin.

So, I found out it's a mixure of extremely opposite characters in one blade.

On one side, you need to have very good control, and the blade has to grab the ball deep and make the ball tremble when it returns, and for the other side, it has to be very powerful and speedy.

That was simple matter.
If I can mix two different blades, one side very spinny and controllable, the other side very powerful and speedy, then it would be great.

So, that's how I started to design this kind of new blades.

I gave two different blade designs to Tibhar and Hallmark.

After three years, Hall mark's long pips blades are all gone, and several Tibhar blades are left.
But those two blades were very much successful.
Actually, I was quite sure of this before I started to sell.
It could not be away from the ideal character of that style, long pips blockers.

When I startd to design it, it was not very simple.
If I place the carbon layer on one side only, then the blade can be twisted after some time. And the feeling is not in harmony on both sides.
And after several test, I decided to place that carbon layer one third from on side.
And there I found out good balance and effect matched well.

After those two blades' success, when I started Nexy, I thought of a new kind blade again.
Now ITTF does not allow Boomerang or Oiginal, then we have to find a new style for those long pips blockers.
When the frustration and woobeling is not big enough, then with what people can make use of their style to win the match?

So, I thought maybe I need to sow something different to let people think the other way.

That's how I made this new kind of long pips blade.

Little bit slower basically on back hand side, but compared with other general modles, this is very fast on both sides.

Size became smaller, and the handle became extremely comfortable to make a quick and agile movement.

When you grab this blade, you can feel the energy urges you to be more attcking even though you are flanked with long pips rubbers.
And it's very easy to play quick an smart close to the net.

I.E,.... this blade turns you something differnet...more attacking, faster, aggresive.

That's what I wanted with this blade, after the non-coating policy from ITTF.

I will write more later.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 20:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thank you nexy, very interesting information!

SO was the Chaos suitable for this blade? How fast is this long pip? Can you compare it to Tibhar Dtecs for example?

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 20:52 
Super User

Nexy,

Thanks for the information. This is very good.
You are absolutely correct about differentiating between a "chopper" and a "blocker" as they are two completely different styles.
You will find that there are a lot of long pimple players on this forum, that is why we are very interested in your ideas. ( I believe most of us are "blockers" but there are quite a few "choppers" as well.)
I am at the table blocker, and so far the best long pimple to block with is the DTecs in OX. The DTecs is also very confusing in OX for the opponent. However I would be willing to do away with the "disturbing" effects if it could block really spinny loops better. How does your rubber "Chaos" deal with these?

The ban on "frictionless" Long Pimples (LPs) has really made it difficult to block effectively at the table. I seems like you have been working on a solution for this. Please let us know more. Cheers!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 21:30 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I think I might have to make several visits to Nexy HQ just to get half of what he is doing. I have duty Sunday, then I get to check out some stuff Monday with Nexy. Too bad it took me several months to coordinate a visit.

The several clubs I been a member of and visited have some male players with LP. They are usually C-Pen with OX LP on BH, and a few J-Pen with OX RPB. I have seen a couple with OX LP with a shakehand, but that is rare among men, VERY common among women. Most of these players like to stand close to the table and punch block with LP to get errors or loose balls, then blast winners with the FH. I think this is the defensive style Nexy is talking about - those close to the table OX LP toting peoples.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!