OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Match 1, Div 3. Reb vs Speedplay
Poll ended at 20 Sep 2010, 01:20
Reb 48%  48%  [ 14 ]
Speedplay 52%  52%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 29
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 10:39 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

WOW you have a lot to say. Took 3 posts to say all that? And yes I did vote before I posted. If Reb is playing in the A4 league then is there a B1234, C1234, D1234? See where I am going with this? We dont know how this stuff works. I cant compare you to me to Reb. There is no way to do it. I can compare people in the USA with a rating but outside the country? Cant do it. I havent seen a vid of you yet Speedplay. Post one and then we can talk. Till then, chill dude. 8) It'll be OK.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 11:06 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
That's a good idea Joe, for these matches if people have videos of themselves they should post one to help make their case, or have one made at their club the next time the play - someone's bound to have a video camera!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 12:44 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
If/When I get back to the States for sum tourneys, LOTS of advanced players are going to hate me. At Korea TTC this weekend, I got by my friend (recent tourney USATT1800+ level player) 3-0. I LIKE being under ratred joker. It is all good. I know my USATT rating and it is under rated, but I guess the correct rating until I do sum tourneys.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 12:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
dwruck wrote:
That's a good idea Joe, for these matches if people have videos of themselves they should post one to help make their case, or have one made at their club the next time the play - someone's bound to have a video camera!

They'll only post their vids if it makes their cae, not if it breaks their case. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 13:28 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
dwruck wrote:

Actually Doug I took my video camera and tripod along to TT one night and attempted to get some footage, but my camera was playing up and kept turning itself off. And you should have seen the reaction of the other players that I even had the camera set up there. It was like there was an alien monster sitting at the edge of the court. So I figured it wasn't meant to be.

Wow there's been lots of activity going on here LOL. Speedplay has reached 12 points at this stage, now the question is do we declare him the winner or do we let it run the full 8 days to see where it leads? The latter could be fun!

Now to try to explain a little bit about the way things work in my league. Yes, Speedplay is kind of right, I play in A5 division actually in Seniors comp and A2 division in Masters comp. So in Seniors there is 4 divisions above me and 5 divisions below me. In the B grade divisions there is quite a jump in standard between each division. In A grade the jump becomes smaller between divisions as you would expect because at higher level it is the smaller things that separate the skills of players. Two of the players who play A5 this season are actually A2 standard. A couple of others have played A3 before. In A2 Masters I have played and won and lost to players from A4 and A3 seniors.

Now to shed some perspective on all that. There are several players from our A1 diivision who also play at State and National level and have taken sets of William Henzell. No-one Aussie beats William of course. :lol: Our club is one of the strongest in Australia. It is the depth in our club that sits me in my A5 seniors. If I played at the Croydon club (also a very strong club, but perhaps a little less depth) I would play in their A3 or perhaps A2 seniors (although I would be lowly ranked in their A2). We had a good junior go over to Croydon from our club and he and I were always close in play. I have upped my level since I played him and no doubt he has upped his probably even more. He plays A2 at Croydon and is getting about 40% win rate. So what I am saying is it depends on which city club you look at in Australia as to what division you will play in. If I played at Sunbury where Rob plays for example, I would be in their top grade. How do I know this? Because my teammate for next season (who I beat more than he beats me) used to play there and won leading player there a few years ago in their top division. He came from there and slotted into our B2 grade. Rob would now be one of the strongest players there, but the depth is not strong.

Now I do not profess to be an infallible, impenetrable TT player. But my level has come a long way in the last couple of years as I have honed up the skills I developed as a boy and have worked around the injuries collected with age. My game is sturdy and no disrespect to Der_Echte either, but I don't believe from his vids he would beat me. Dwruck and I would have a closer game I think, although its really impossible to tell from vids. I may blow him away or vice-versa.

Anyway, I think this is all good fun and bringing out interesting discussion, which was my aim when I chose to set this up (as Speedplay correctly points out). Surely that's worth a few extra points guys? :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 20:32 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Ha ha ha, very true haggis! I do have to say, if there was a match and one person posted videos and the other didn't, I'd probably be more likely to vote for the person with the video, just because I can at least see how they play. I can imagine that some players won't like being taped (your opponents). I've never run into that yet, thankfully. I don't think I'll be getting any videos from the tourney this weekend, between playing I'll be helping out as a runner (taking matches out to tables) and maybe doing some umpiring, and I don't want to have to worry about my camera disappearing with over 200 players there.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 23:40 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

speedplay wrote:
Reb's video was a little more recent, showed him getting trunched by Metal Monkey and Mars63 ;) At least I won the match in my video :devil:

Actually I won quite a few sets from MM that day including a comeback from 9-1 down to win!! MM certainly didn't trunch me and my game has come a very very long way since then as it was over 18 months ago. The thing is though, if I showed a new vid, my style will still look the same, so improvement may be difficult to actually see unless you really know what you are looking for and can directly compare to my old vids. I really want some new vids to analyse my game myself. Will have to figure out a way without disturbing the peace at the club :lol:

And I have beaten Mars in 2 sets since the meet with MM, on the day we played with SHFS. I also beat SHFS more times than he beat me that day, but that's history as he has also improved a lot and who knows what would happen in a re-meet now. Mars is still practising here and there from what I hear, but is no longer competing. I haven't heard from him for about as long as the forum hasn't.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 01:49 

My vote goes to Speedy. As in Eurovision song contest, You always have to vote for your neighbour country! That´s why the Russian´s do so well there! :D

In table tennis I´ve always had my thumb up for the Swedes. Ice-hockey: take a wild guess! :D

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 08:21 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

By your logic Speedplay anyone who is Chinese should then beat you! :D :D Also by your logic, you should beat William Henzell or even our Haggisv or Supachop for that matter :P :lol: :lol:

Mars hasn't retired, he's just on a break due to work comittments, and had only just finished his season in A1 at that point, the elite level of the club.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 09:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Ahhhh Speedplay. If only your deception was as good in your serve as it is in your posting :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still old men still have skills I find. Depends on just how old they were of course. Past 80 they do star to decline, but depends. I'm talking Aussie men here, Swedes might drop off around 35 perhaps?!! :devil: :lol: :lol:

Waldner would make it as the greatest in your eyes, I mean he is Swedish. If he was another nationality you probably wouldn't even know his name! :lol: I doubt whether he would really have ever competed to be considered a great in today's game though. I think the Chinese of today would have made him look a much lesser player. Same thing that would happen if I ever really met you on court!! 8) Maybe that could happen by the time I'm a sprightly 65 and you are an old and decrepit 55! :D :D

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 10:41 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Is this just 1 game to 51? or best to 7? lol

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 11:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

It's 1 game to 8..... that is 8 days! :lol:

If I was umpiring this game, I would have called in the expidite system in a long time ago 8) :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 12:54 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Yeah and just think its only been going for 2 days :lol:

Maybe the next one we cut to 3 days and have 2 games per week. I'm sure other competitiors won't have as much to say as me and Speedplay. :P

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 13:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I'm sure other competitiors won't have as much to say as me and Speedplay. :P

You think??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 17:07 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Touche`! Actually, I think you sound more accomplished than when you say you are an advanced beginner Speedplay. Its very confusing because it conflicts that you should talk yourself down when you are not shy to talk yourself up LOL. If you have similar curiosity to me, it would be so great if we could actually play several matches over several days to see the truth. Even if we had video, it really doesn't tell the truth. Even to play a person once doesn't tell the full truth as it can take one person time to get used to something with anothers game before they then know how to defeat it. We're stuck with this game of words though, which is fun, but not as fun as hitting the little white ball!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next