OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010, 17:11 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
mynamenotbob wrote:
leatherback wrote:
I could post a match as well but the scores in a game out of 3 were 2-0 for Sun and the scores of each set were 11-1 and 11-2, no rally made made it past the first 4 shots making it kind of useless to watch, i can post if anyone is interested...

Yes post it. Let's see him in action.

Yes, please post it. Even thou it's a one-sided match I'm still interested to see how he handles service returns and the game at the table with the pips.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 01:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
That's some fantastic chopping, but I was hoping to see some of his attacking LP style. He twiddled to inverted on the one stroke I saw him do a BH attack.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 04:03 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
another video added to first post

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 04:37 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
He definitely knows how to use those pips! This was really good for me to watch since I have some problems when my opponents are looping hard down to my BH when I'm at the table. It's really hard to block those in with a chop-block and lately I've been practicing to block them almost like inverted or short pips, with a slight forward and upward movement, just like Sun does in this video. One more thing was that he always twiddles to receive serves with the pimples and also that he flip/flick a lot with the pimples on the shorter balls. Is he playing like this at the table also when he's facing a more equal opponent? Or does the mostly chop those short balls then?

Really entertaining to watch and a big thanks to Sun and Chan for doing this and of course also to you leatherback! Can't wait to see those matches from when he was younger!

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 04:38 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Thanks leatherback! Even though it's not much of a competition it is very interesting to watch him return almost every serve with the pimples, and he even attacks sometimes with them. I also like his chopping a lot. I was surprised to see that he had such an open bat angle when chopping, almost as he was using inverted. Can he create spin on his own with the pimples or does he rely on spin reversal only?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 04:49 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

auzcar wrote:
He definitely knows how to use those pips! This was really good for me to watch since I have some problems when my opponents are looping hard down to my BH when I'm at the table. It's really hard to block those in with a chop-block and lately I've been practicing to block them almost like inverted or short pips, with a slight forward and upward movement, just like Sun does in this video. One more thing was that he always twiddles to receive serves with the pimples and also that he flip/flick a lot with the pimples on the shorter balls. Is he playing like this at the table also when he's facing a more equal opponent? Or does the mostly chop those short balls then?

Really entertaining to watch and a big thanks to Sun and Chan for doing this and of course also to you leatherback! Can't wait to see those matches from when he was younger!

to be completely honest, Chan is one of the top 5 players in Ontario as far as results go, so i don't see Sun face that many higher level opponents, i know when he coaches, he says never receive serves with the pips unless you intend to attack it,

he usually recieves serves with the pips when playing people in North America because he knows we tend to not be used to very high level ox players.

Def-attack wrote:
Thanks leatherback! Even though it's not much of a competition it is very interesting to watch him return almost every serve with the pimples, and he even attacks sometimes with them. I also like his chopping a lot. I was surprised to see that he had such an open bat angle when chopping, almost as he was using inverted. Can he create spin on his own with the pimples or does he rely on spin reversal only?

if there was a way to create alot of spin with palio ck531a OX, Sun knows it, he chops very hard and it almost appears that his is using inverted, but it actually just bending the crap out of the pips....

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 05:08 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
thanks for posting! I wonder how many of us are going to rush off and try that open faced chopping that he's doing with the pips :D I know I am...

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 13:16 

Sun was a chopper and brought into the national team to provide some training for Ma Lin and the boys after Ma had lost to Joo in the Worlds. To think of Sun as a LP attacker is probably missing the point. At the non professional level, Kim Kyung Ah or Park Mi Young could probably play an attacking LP game and toy around like Sun does..

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 20:52 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Joo Se Kev wrote:
thanks for posting! I wonder how many of us are going to rush off and try that open faced chopping that he's doing with the pips :D I know I am...

I tried it last night. Palio ox was much easier than I remebered. But I guess the blade matters a lot when trying to chop away from the table with such a low friction lp as Palio. I tried to chop with a very open bat and it actually worked. But if I was to try that game for real, I would try a really soft blade (I used an old and un-named allround blade, a little more stiff than Stiga allround).

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 15:49 

Newbie to chopping over here.

What kind of difference exists in play between using a long pips top sheet with a sponge or going OX?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 22:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Rizzelet wrote:
Newbie to chopping over here.

What kind of difference exists in play between using a long pips top sheet with a sponge or going OX?

Ox tends to be easier to control due to the more "direct" contact of pips with blade. Depending on the pip, chopping from further back can be more difficult to get the right length without sponge.

Good vids thanks Leatherback! Temps me to go back to 531a and chop more :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2010, 02:25 

Quote:
Ox tends to be easier to control due to the more "direct" contact of pips with blade. Depending on the pip, chopping from further back can be more difficult to get the right length without sponge.

Okay, I see, thanks for the response.

Also, thank you for linking the videos leatherback, they were really enjoyable.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2010, 03:37 

Heehee, he looks like a fun guy to have around the skill, regardless of skill. Waving at the camera, shaking his butt at it, spinning around like he's from the 1930's after a big forehand swing.

I also noticed and commented how Chen Weixing also receives serves with his pips on the forehand side. I suppose the higher level opponents, the less time you have to twiddle because you have to think harder about what spin it is and what they are trying to do.

Watching that gives me loooots to think about in using my long pips over the table. I already smash any balls that wander up to high with them, but he takes short balls barely net level and flicks then over on his forehand side with them...

Confusion, manipulation, variation, this is the way of the darkside.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 15:02 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

playing again against Chan Bu in a tournament setting

playing against the LU Ching-Chun (2458 usatt)

playing against Hongtao Chen (2648 usatt), the new national team prospect, only 15 years old

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2011, 17:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Switching hands at 4:26 vs Hongtao Chen?! I thought only Timo could do that..

Fantastic playing! Thanks for posting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next