OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 19:19 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Pushblocker wrote:
looks like he went form blocking to chopping...

Yes, he seems to chop more now then before and even though it pains me to say it, I think this is the right way to go. Because, let's not kid ourselves, it's pretty much impossible to play a consistent enough blocking game at the table and at that level, unless the pimples are treated. He still doesn't go way back like Joo or other modern defenders, he chops at mid-distance, probably to be able to use his FH more. I think he needs to improve his chopping technique a little though and focus just a little bit more on that, now he has more of a chop-blocking motion, even far away from the table. If he could get really consistent with his chops, like a true defender, he would definitely improve his level.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:10 
Incredible Shrinking Man

Anyone knows if it still Donic Akkadi L2 0.6 mm he uses in BH?

I read in forum that he had tried Zeitgeist

Cheers

Geddk

3. Blade : SL Defender SL DG 0x red : Secret flow 1.8 black : Against other LP players.
4. Blade : ST Fire-starter: Easy P 0x red : Air Illumina MAX Black : Incoming
Maybe I will try sponge some day!
----------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:18 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Geddk wrote:

Cheers

Geddk

I have no confirmed information on what he's using right now, my guess is that he's still using Akkadi L2 0.6mm. However, I know he tried Zeitgeist 0.5mm and also played with it in at least one league-match, I also think he tried the Palio CK531A.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:26 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
auzcar wrote:
Geddk wrote:

Cheers

Geddk

I have no confirmed information on what he's using right now, my guess is that he's still using Akkadi L2 0.6mm. However, I know he tried Zeitgeist 0.5mm and also played with it in at least one league-match, I also think he tried the Palio CK531A.

If he keeps playing away from the table he really should try Akkadi L1. I haven't tried L2 but L1 is wonderful for chopping and also nice for blocking (not that much spin reversal on passive blocks though, but I am using it on a very soft sponge).

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:41 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
If he keeps playing away from the table he really should try Akkadi L1. I haven't tried L2 but L1 is wonderful for chopping and also nice for blocking (not that much spin reversal on passive blocks though, but I am using it on a very soft sponge).

I would be surprised if he haven't tried L1, since it's a Donic rubber, but you never know, perhaps that's what he's playing with right now. I've sent one of my friends at the table tennis gymnasium on a mission to find out what Åkerström is playing with at the moment, let's see what information that will bring in a couple of days.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 00:07 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
auzcar wrote:
I've sent one of my friends at the table tennis gymnasium on a mission to find out what Åkerström is playing with at the moment, let's see what information that will bring in a couple of days.

Poor Fabian, he must feel like there is some secret underground network spying on him all the time. That makes him even more similar to Harry Potter :) .

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 00:47 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
Poor Fabian, he must feel like there is some secret underground network spying on him all the time. That makes him even more similar to Harry Potter :) .

Hehe, he's the only one that plays at that high level with that style so I guess a lot of eyes and questions are aimed towards him. Imagine if Timo Boll was the only two-winged looper at the world scene :o

He seems like a nice guy though and I hope he doesn't feel it's too much questions about his equipment and so on. He could solve it though by always updating his setup on let's say, his Facebook page, but I guess Donic wouldn't like that if he wasn't playing with Akkadi.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 07:09 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
auzcar wrote:
Yes, he seems to chop more now then before and even though it pains me to say it, I think this is the right way to go. Because, let's not kid ourselves, it's pretty much impossible to play a consistent enough blocking game at the table and at that level, unless the pimples are treated. He still doesn't go way back like Joo or other modern defenders, he chops at mid-distance, probably to be able to use his FH more. I think he needs to improve his chopping technique a little though and focus just a little bit more on that, now he has more of a chop-blocking motion, even far away from the table. If he could get really consistent with his chops, like a true defender, he would definitely improve his level.

For one time I disagree with you, auzcar. If you look when he was playing Ovtcharov... Now he plays like a defender too much. He's not raised like a chopper and probably doesn't has the mind game for it. Like it is clear in th movie... He chops like he blocks. If he goes on defending, he always will fall between being a chopper and being a blocker and that will stop him improving.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 12:15 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
speedplay wrote:
Adding my two cents to this discussion regarding Fabians style.

I watched him a couple of months ago when our primary team faced them on the road, and I was surpside at how offensive Fabian played and how little he used his pips. He almost played like the "old" chinese single sided penholders, running around hitting his fh from all over the place. It seemed as if the only time he used his LP was when he was caught with it on his bh and didn't have time to run around. He then used it to block, but stepped around to attack against as soon as possible.

Now, I watched him again the other night, when our team played them at home and he played a rather different game this time. He now used his pips a lot more, always starting by blocking with them, but once he had blocked with them, instead of trying to attack, he backed away from the table and started chopping with them instead. His chop still needs a bit of work, as it's a lot like a chop block, but he is pretty consistent with it.

I find his style to be unique amongst the top men, it's almost as if he is an attacker who isn't afraid to defend when the situation calls for it, but it looks as if his primary goal is to attack first, and attack hard. He's got a really good fh, especially his flip which is simply insane! If he can get his chopping working, I think he can advance a lot further.

As for his match against Dima, wasn't this recorded while he played with the now banned pips? I think it will be hard to play at his level, blocking with legal pips close to the table all the time and I enjoy his current style a lot.

He played against Dima after the Frictionless ban.. However, it is known that Fabian has played with treated pips several times.. Looks like he switched to untreated ones which would explain the change in style..

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 04:25 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

speedplay wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
He played against Dima after the Frictionless ban.. However, it is known that Fabian has played with treated pips several times.. Looks like he switched to untreated ones which would explain the change in style..

ROFL!

It is known? Known by who? Not saying he haven't done this, cause I don't have a clue if he have or not, but I seriously doubt that you know it for a fact.

This was all over noppen-test.de... The umpire at the table inspected Fabian's racket and noticed that there was no friction on the pips. Fabian went to the Referee and the referee allowed the rubber as he didn't have a official way to test for friction.. This was a very long thread on noppen-test.de

This was posted by a moderator on noppen-test.de (COGITO)

Quote:
Dieser Fall hat in Moskau in der Realität stattgefunden: Akerström (=> ein Schwede ) trat mit einem zweifelsfrei arschglatten Belag an. Der SR am Tisch wollte ihn damit nicht spielen lassen, da er offensichtlich nachbehandelt war. Akerström wandte sich an den OSR und der ließ ihn mit genau der Oben aufgeführten Begründung spielen.

Weiterhin:
- in Schweden spielen ca. die Hälfte aller LN-Spieler mit behandelten Belägen
- laut einem prominenten Teilnehmer wurde bei der Senioren WM in China flächendeckend mit behandelten LN gespielt; fast alle Chinesen hätten behandelte LN gehabt und die Konkurrenzen Ü50 und Ü60 seien auch mittels behandelter LN entscheiden worden.

Translation:

This case actually happened in Moscow: Akerstrom (=> a Swede) showed up with a completely frictionless rubber. The Umpire at the table didn't want to let him compete with the rubber as it was obviousely treated. Akerstom went to the Referee and let him play due to the argument that there is no official test for friction

Furthermore:
-in Sweden, 50% of the long pips players use treated rubbers
-according to a prominent competitor, at the Senior World Championship in China almost every long pips player played with treated long pips and both, the O-50 and O-60 age events were won with such rubbers.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 04:56 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Pushblocker wrote:
-in Sweden, 50% of the long pips players use treated rubbers

Well, that is simply not true. I always check my opponents pimples before a match, not to force them to change if the pips are treated, but to know what I'm up against. Despite this I have never come across a treated LP. I play mostly in the Northern and Middle part of Sweden and perhaps it's different in the Southern parts but I can't imagine 50% would be playing with treated pips.

Regarding Akerstrom, I don't believe it but I wouldn't be too surprised either if he have played some tournaments with treated pips as this is pretty much the same thing as boosting, which most of the professionals do. From the new videos I'm quite sure he doesn't use treated pips now though because that's usually quite noticeable, unless they are only semi treated.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 05:58 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

speedplay wrote:
Oh, so it was claimed on Noppentest, then it is of course true ;)

Seriously, I have no idea if Fabian have ever played with treated pimples and I don't think you have either, so be careful about claiming these things as fact. lets say there is a rumour that he have played with treated pips.

Now, I don't know where Noppenteste get their information from, but I seriously doubt that 50% of our LP players use treated pips. Why? Well, mostly so because when the frictionless LP where allowed, they where used by a minority of the LP players. So, why would those who prefer a grippy pip suddensly start to treat their rubbers? I'm sure there are LP players here who treats their pips, but far from 50% of the lp players. Perhaps 50% of those who used to use them when they where legal, but I must say, I doubt that it would be that many. I know players who used to use frictionless LP and none of them is currently using treated LP's. Wait, one exception, we have one guy who might use treated LP's, not sure as I've never inspected his bat, but when I've played against him, it did seem a lot like frictionless LPs.

I do not know if he really played treated pips. I'm just passing on what the word on the street is.. There's also the word on the street that I treat or have treated which may or may not be true. I know FOR A FACT that the majority of long pips players at the table in this country play rubbers that do not play like they came out of the factory.. I do not have a friction measuring device, so I can't say with certainty that they are below the legal limit but it is clear that they do not have the friction level that they have out of the package.. I can't possibly determine IF the friction was reduced due to a natural process or if they were treated. I did see 1 or 2 rubbers that clearly had some kind of coating (probably epoxy) on them. I did not care as I beat both of them :rofl:
I think that I shouldn't have made the statement as I did as I do not know if Fabian actually treated his pips. What seems to have happened was that the Umpire at the table wanted to disallow Fabian's pips and the Referee allowed them. Maybe, his rubber was unmodified, just a little used and aged.. Who knows. Aging can happen fairly quickly if you play outdoors TT in the sun... a few hours ever day...

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 12:24 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

speedplay wrote:
Fair enough PB.

I actually have the same approach as you, cause I don't care if my opponents treats their pips or not, neither do I care that much about boosting. I know some people will find this hard to belive, cause I feel so strong about respecting the rules, but, to each his own. If my opponent feels he needs to glue up or treat his pips to be able to compete, then it's his choice, I'll still play against him, but, I would not feel sorry if he got caught and got disqualified.

Despite the fact that I'm in the top 3 - 4% in the country, I'm still a recreational player and don't take this serious. We are not talking about making thousands of $ playing tournaments. At my level, I win $100 - $200 here and there while spending thousands of $ to travel to tournaments. I do play the game for enjoyment and I really don't care what my opponents use.. I'd even play somebody using a sandpaper racket or a unauthorized rubber.. Just recently played someone who used "GRASS DEVIL" which is no longer authorized.. I told the guy that it was no longer authorized but also told him that he can play it.. no problem with me. He wasn't aware that it came off the list.. The only reason for me to complain is if somebody tries to cheat me by counting the score wrong but that's about it.. I don't complain about illegal serves, modified equipment, bubbles on the rubber etc. etc. etc.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 07:29 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

I have complete footage of the match between Fabian and Xu Hui from Safirs International that was played this weekend. My friend recorded it with his phone so it's pretty poor quality but still very "watchable", I could upload it to Megadownload if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 07:53 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
auzcar wrote:
I have complete footage of the match between Fabian and Xu Hui from Safirs International that was played this weekend. My friend recorded it with his phone so it's pretty poor quality but still very "watchable", I could upload it to Megadownload if anyone's interested.

Would be great to see that match... :)

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next