OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: ITTF bigger than FIFA
PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 18:31 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Don't let the empty seats at ITTF events fool you. The ITTF is now the second largest sports federation in the world. The addition of Mozambique, British Virgin Islands, Antigua & Barbuda, the Wallis & Futura Islands and Tokelau pushed us past FIFA. Now we're just six "banana republics" away from catching the FIVB (volleyball) and becoming #1.

FIVB: 221
ITTF: 215
FIFA: 208
United Nations: 192

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.asp ... &tid=32512

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 18:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Don't know what the obsession is with being the largest federation.... it's obviously meaningless and is no relation to the size and popularity of the sport...

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 19:04 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Somebody better inform them that Hamburgerland isn't a country. I heard they're under strong consideration. :lol:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 20:14 
Stir Crazy

haggisv wrote:
Don't know what the obsession is with being the largest federation.... it's obviously meaningless and is no relation to the size and popularity of the sport...

Hang on a moment. Doesn't the fact that TT is played in more countries than play football say something about its "size and popularity"?

Don't we both live in a country which is obsessed with a particularly stupid game called Australian Football - a game played by no other country on the planet? Somehow being the best nation in the world at Australian Football seems pretty meaningless to me, regardless of how popular it is here. The same goes for US and its equally moronic gridiron. At least when I go on holidays anywhere in the Pacific I can take my bat with me and know that I'll get a game somewhere.

And when mnnb says, "Somebody better inform them that Hamburgerland isn't a country. I heard they're under strong consideration" that's simply insulting all the tiny nations of this world which have every right to compete.

I'm also bemused by the fact that it doesn't seem to matter what the ITTF does it doesn't make mnnb happy. If the ITTF sat on its backside and didn't promote the sport, mnnb would then accuse them of doing nothing. :headbang:

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 20:33 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Tassie52 wrote:
Hang on a moment. Doesn't the fact that TT is played in more countries than play football say something about its "size and popularity"?

You don't see any absurdity with Tokelau (total population of 1,400 and designated by the United Nations as a "non-self-governing territory") having the possibility of canceling out Australia's vote at the next AGM? This just dilutes the value of the vote from every serious and authentic TT nation.

Tassie52 wrote:
I'm also bemused by the fact that it doesn't seem to matter what the ITTF does it doesn't make mnnb happy.

Not true. I've been praising them on the great job they've done streaming the GAC championship.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 20:56 
Stir Crazy

mynamenotbob wrote:
You don't see any absurdity with Tokelau (total population of 1,400 and designated by the United Nations as a "non-self-governing territory") having the possibility of canceling out Australia's vote at the next AGM? This just dilutes the value of the vote from every serious and authentic TT nation.

Again, an insult to the people of Tokelau. Why are TT players in a country with only 1,400 inhabitants any less "serious and authentic" than anyone else? And surely Tokelau has as much right to cancel the Australian vote as Australia has to cancel the Chinese vote.

The logical extension of your reasoning would be that the only "serious and authentic" TT nation is China. That is until the population of India exceeds China and then Indian TT players will be more entitled to respect than anyone else.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 21:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Tassie52 wrote:
haggisv wrote:

I agree... all I'm saying it that this has no relation to the size (ie the number of countries) of our federation. The size of the federation is not a measure of the popularity of our sport.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 22:03 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

speedplay wrote:
Not only that, ITTF covers the entire Oceania, making them the first international federation to cover an entire continent.

Now why is this? Europe would be easy don't you think compared to Islands in the Pacific Ocean scattered 1000's of km apart , its only a fraction of the time and expence, can't they just ring the other Countries up or drive for an hour lol

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 22:17 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Tassie52 wrote:
Again, an insult to the people of Tokelau. Why are TT players in a country with only 1,400 inhabitants any less "serious and authentic" than anyone else? And surely Tokelau has as much right to cancel the Australian vote as Australia has to cancel the Chinese vote.

With all due respect to the people of Tokelau, it's not a country and anyone playing there is pretty much a beginner. About nine months ago the ITTF sent someone to Tokelau on a mission to give introductory lessons and convince them to form a bogus association so the ITTF can pass volleyball and claim it's #1. It's all manufactured.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 22:35 
Stir Crazy

[vimeo][/vimeo]
mynamenotbob wrote:
With all due respect to the people of Tokelau, it's not a country and anyone playing there is pretty much a beginner. About nine months ago the ITTF sent someone to Tokelau on a mission to give introductory lessons and convince them to form a bogus association so the ITTF can pass volleyball and claim it's #1. It's all manufactured.

Which part of sending "someone to Tokelau on a mission to give introductory lessons" is a bad thing? Where's the credit for promoting the sport?

And BTW, I'm glad someone "manufactured" my introductory lessons to the sport. If they hadn't I'd probably still be trying to play Australian Football.