OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Xiom Yanus DF
PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 17:45 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I am thinking of trying this rubber but can't find a great deal of information about it;

I would be using the 2.0 sponge, black, on the backhand side of my Acoustic. I play a very mixed game on that wing, which is the weaker but improving side for me. In the past it was entirely defensive. These days I don't leave the table much and stay close.

What I would most like is some indication of the rubber's speed in comparison to others, so I can position it as to whether it may be a good choice. I have used lots of rubbers on that side over the last couple of years;
G666 2.2
CJ8000 36-38 jap 2.2
Xt pro 2.0 and 2.2
729-05
IQUL reg 40 deg 2.0
729 fx lightening 2.0
999 jap sponge 2.0

Can anyone contrast Yanus's speed against any of those? Currently I'm using 729-05 and quite like it, and think it the quickest of the list above, but think I may be suited better by a soft, non-tacky.

Any other feedback about Yanus would be appreciated.

185g

Post subject: Re: Xiom Yanus DF
PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 18:44 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
AFAIK Xiom Yanus DF is a typical springy nontacky tensor.

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 20:29 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Omut wrote:
AFAIK Xiom Yanus DF is a typical springy nontacky tensor.

Thanks Omut. From what I've read I agree it will be non-tacky, but 'springiness' is probably quite subjective. That's why I'm hoping someone can give me a comparison with other rubbers. I understand that Yanus is very soft which may reduce its spring in the short game.

185g

PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 00:18 

i've played both the 1.5 and 2.0 mm rubber
the 1.5 isn't very suitable for chopping or looping, but works great for slapping the ball
the 2.0 is very inconsistent, too soft sponge results in balls going where they want and not where you want.

PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 00:31 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
k_adrian wrote:
the 1.5 isn't very suitable for chopping or looping, but works great for slapping the ball

I disagree; I've been using this rubber in 1.5mm for a year now on my forehand, and I primarily chop with it and sometimes loop with it as well. I think it's a great rubber. It creates tons of backspin on chops and has enough oomph to permit looping as well. It has a soft sponge, so for those who prefer chopping with a hard sponge, you have to adjust a bit because the throw is a bit higher, but after you make the adjustment, it's very effective. I think Greggy uses it also, and he chops and loops with it as well, as far as I know.

I should add that in the past I'd used Tackiness Chop, Reflectoid, Hurricane III, Akkadi Tachi and a few others and found the Yanus DF to be the best rubber for maximizing what I need for both chopping and looping on the forehand side.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 24 May 2011, 00:40 
Blockhead
Blockhead

As I suspected there doesn't seem to be a lot of experience of this rubber out there, only a few replies.......

Anyway, I've ordered a sheet of black 2.0 so expect a review soon.

185g

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 21:26 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Got back from holiday to find my Yanus, black 2.0 has arrived.

Out of the packet impressions are;

Nice and light. This is an ultralight option.
VERY soft - if you lay the sheet (sponge down) on your fingertips you can see the indentations on the topside. Maybe not quite as soft as bigslam, but quite near.
Very good quality.
Very grippy topsheet. Felt nearly lightly tacky when removing the paper protector (which is lightly laminated on the inside)
A very lightly tacky stiff 'tensor protector foil' (plastic sheet) is provided.

I will try this out tonight on the acoustic, if it is too soft I may try it on my Keyshot light. Somehow I feel this will be more of an allround rubber than defensive, which is what I want.

Watch this space........

185g

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2011, 16:21 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Ok, my thoughts after 2 sessions yesterday. Firstly, the speed. Xiom market this as a mainly defensive rubber. I think it is quicker than that, although granted i have it on a blade that is reasonably quick. But tackiness c it most certainly is not. It doesnt take much effort to generate reasonable speed and yet the ultra soft sponge is reasonably dampening for chops and blocks, a really nice balance. There is good sound when countering or hitting hard: possibly the sponge bottoming out a bit. Spin is very good indeed on all strokes- yet sensitivity to incoming spin seemed low. Throw is probably around medium or maybe a little higher. Took of a while to adjust but was playing really well by the end of the day. Certainly higher throw than the 729-05 it replaced. My opinion so far is that this has real potential to be an excellent and very spinny all round plus rubber on a quicker blade with the added bonus of being ultra light- it would be too soft for an all out and hard hitting wing but for a controlled back hand rubber it is well worth a try. To be clear, it has enough power to hit very strong shots from mid distance when required

185g

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2011, 07:22 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
so_devo wrote:
Ok, my thoughts after 2 sessions yesterday. Firstly, the speed. Xiom market this as a mainly defensive rubber. I think it is quicker than that, although granted i have it on a blade that is reasonably quick. But tackiness c it most certainly is not. It doesnt take much effort to generate reasonable speed and yet the ultra soft sponge is reasonably dampening for chops and blocks, a really nice balance. There is good sound when countering or hitting hard: possibly the sponge bottoming out a bit. Spin is very good indeed on all strokes- yet sensitivity to incoming spin seemed low. Throw is probably around medium or maybe a little higher. Took of a while to adjust but was playing really well by the end of the day. Certainly higher throw than the 729-05 it replaced. My opinion so far is that this has real potential to be an excellent and very spinny all round plus rubber on a quicker blade with the added bonus of being ultra light- it would be too soft for an all out and hard hitting wing but for a controlled back hand rubber it is well worth a try. To be clear, it has enough power to hit very strong shots from mid distance when required

Glad you seem to have a generally positive impression; I pretty much agree with all of your observations. I also took a little while to adjust to this rubber after with the likes of Tackiness-C and Reflectoid, but once I adjusted to the higher throw, I don't feel I lost anything in terms of spin and certainly gained in my ability to generate offense. I agree that it's not a hard-hitting attack rubber, and that's not what it's meant for, but for someone who wants to chop and loop with it, I think it's great. I'm sure it's a bit faster on your fast blade than on the comparatively slower blades I've used it on, but it's definitely not a super slow rubber on any blade.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX