OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 09:30 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
he also switches hand to chop in the second game but gives a huge pop up which his opponent missed haha

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 11:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I truly love to watch this guy play, he certainly seems to be enjoying the overall experience. Does he have a USATT rating or can someone make a good "guesstimate?"

Thanks,
tOD

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 13:22 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
theOldDuffer wrote:
I truly love to watch this guy play, he certainly seems to be enjoying the overall experience. Does he have a USATT rating or can someone make a good "guesstimate?"

Thanks,
tOD

Youtube stated that he is a little over 2800.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011, 09:24 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

vs. Wang Zhen, current #1 player in North America at the final of Mytabletennis Circut #5

not quite sure of the order

Sun wins 3-1

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011, 12:54 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

WOW......
3-1 over Wang Zhen is ..... :up: :up:
Real deal.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011, 13:54 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

wang zhen beat chen weixing last time they played, shows you the caliber of a defensive player he is....WITH OX PIPS

boggles the mind

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011, 14:03 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

leatherback wrote:
wang zhen beat chen weixing last time they played, shows you the caliber of a defensive player he is....WITH OX PIPS

boggles the mind

That was when umpire decided to get involve in the game. Still a good win.
His style is a bit too hard to copy coz his serve is good enough to force weak return from WZ. Not many can do that. Plus he has a bazooka on his FH!!!!!!!!
Serve and serve return are top notch!!!

Actually I really don't want to call him a "defender", he doesn't really play and chop to set up his attack. He plays like a penholder who attacks and attacks with his FH and only use LP when required.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 08:21 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

had a big long discussion with Sun yesterday and spoke about equipment and other things dealing with table tennis

the guy is just swimming with knowledge

first he began telling me about his training...

he began as a looper and then his coach made him switch to chopping, however, his father still wanted him to be an attacker so when he was training, every time sun made a defensive maneuver with his forehand, he would be punished by his father, therefore his forehand developed the way it is.

initially right when Sun first switched to pips, he used friendship 563 in OX on a matsushita pro blade, his coach convinced him to use 802 with 1.5 sponge. he hated this....then his coach told him to switch to TSP curl p1r 1.6mm...he didn't mind this, but he did not like the fact that all he could do was push and drive. he liked the serve return with OX pips and the flick and the block. Upon entering the national team he switched to DHS C8 in OX on a matsushita pro special blade, and interestingly enough, for about a year within the national team, he trained using friendship 804 ANTI SPIN!

he said for people playing at the table, antispin with a little bit of grip is superior because you can effect the spin on the ball easier then with pips, as the bending of the pips can A) create an uncontrolled random ball and b)are REQUIRED to do a proper pip shot. where as the use of anti and unique twiddling patterns, you can control the table much easier with smaller movements. He said however that although he prefers to take initiative off the serve, he plays alot of his game away from the table and anti was not sufficient there.

He began to use palio ck531a ox during his stint in the Swedish and Itialian super leagues due to the in availability of C8 OX

we then began the discussion of blades.

I am in possesion of his spare blade, as in a previous training session with my matsushita pro, he took it, called me a woman for playing my style with such a slow blade and then went into his bag and gave me his spare one and didnt give me mine back! :D . it is exactly the same as the ones you would purchase from a regular retailer. He said to me that on the national team you can have a custom blade made for you although the majority of the players simply get about 10 blades of the same sort and test them out to find the one with the best "feeling", which is why when you pick up his main blade, there is something special about it as though it was MADE to do exactly what u want with it....unique feel.

i then asked him why he was the only professional chopper in the world (except ruwen filus) that uses carbon in his blade. and he said this:

if you are using sponge on both sides of your racket then a wood blade is sufficient for any type of play, however if you are using no sponge, carbon is required to keep the racket stiff enough for sufficient power away from the table. Therefore, the reason he uses a Matsushita pro special is because he is using OX pips. all other choppers that use sponge should use stiff heavy all wood blades in order to keep power away from the table and not decrease feel from the carbon.

He said for chopper attackers you have to be very careful about which blade you buy because the majority of them are built for the women's defensive game as there is more women defenders, however for amateurs players it does not really make a difference

he was brought into China's national team along with two other choppers after the 2003 world championships to help train against Joo Se hyuk.

one of the other choppers was Wang Xi.

Suns forehand was considered to be in the top 5 of all the shakehanders on the team, including Wang Liqin and Ma Lin

Of the three Sun was considered the best and had an outstanding record against the other two choppers

he also said that if anyone has any questions for him he would be willing to anwser them

ill be the middle man :)

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 09:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Fantastic, thanks.
tOD

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 11:22 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Very interesting information leatherback!

While I agree that CK531A is a terrific rubber, please ask him if he has considered trying or has an opinion on some of the other top LPs like D.Tecs, Dragon Talon or Bomb Talent, for example. All are dangerous in different ways

Also ask him if he will participate in the $45,000 Los Angeles Open.

Did he participate in the recent big tourney in Toronto with Wang Xi, Bastian Steger and those guys?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 13:57 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

mynamenotbob wrote:
Very interesting information leatherback!

While I agree that CK531A is a terrific rubber, please ask him if he has considered trying or has an opinion on some of the other top LPs like D.Tecs, Dragon Talon or Bomb Talent, for example. All are dangerous in different ways

Also ask him if he will participate in the $45,000 Los Angeles Open.

Did he participate in the recent big tourney in Toronto with Wang Xi, Bastian Steger and those guys?

i know that he has tried bomb talent and thought it was too slow, but im not sure about the other others, i will ask him next time we train which is tuesday!

he is under contract at MY Table Tennis Club and wont be allowed to play in the LA open, same thing applied to the tourney in toronto. Ive asked him about this and he said he is going to try to enter more tournaments starting with the Baltimore Teams.

however interesting fact about the toronto tournament, there was a qualification tournament and one person other then the national team from canada was allowed to enter. The winner was David Mahibir - Grass D-Tecs backhand and Medium pips (nittaku pimplemini) on the forehand chop blocker with an enormous custom blade. David is famous in Canada and has a usatt rating of about 2400. His ridiculous blades, unique playing style (push blocking as well as away from he table chopping) make him a thing of legend in Canadian tournaments. He lost in the first round to Andre ho of the Canadian national team.

i will see if there is any videos

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 14:11 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

mnnb here are some david mahibir videos

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 16:09 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
leatherback wrote:
however interesting fact about the toronto tournament, there was a qualification tournament and one person other then the national team from canada was allowed to enter. The winner was David Mahibir - Grass D-Tecs backhand and Medium pips (nittaku pimplemini) on the forehand chop blocker with an enormous custom blade. David is famous in Canada and has a usatt rating of about 2400. His ridiculous blades, unique playing style (push blocking as well as away from he table chopping) make him a thing of legend in Canadian tournaments. He lost in the first round to Andre ho of the Canadian national team.

Nice videos. Great player! Do you know who makes his custom blade?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 18:03 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Thanks alot Leatherback! And don't forget to thank Sun for sharing. Extreamly valuable info there... I would be very interested in learning more about what traning excercises he used to do when training against inverted players, lp players and with multi-ball. And it would be really great if he could demonstrate a few while you have your camera running :)

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 21:13 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

mynamenotbob wrote:
leatherback wrote:

Nice videos. Great player! Do you know who makes his custom blade?

actually....the blade he is using here is the accessory signature blade that people would bring to tournaments to get professionals to sign ....he has it just sanded so it fits his hand as otherwise it is very uncomfortable.

ive tried it....the absolute slowest blade i have even heard of...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next