OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 17:32 
Super User

I have long hesitated whether I should post a new thread about the new soft version of the Neptune. Shortly after the first test on the ball machine, I came to the conclusion that the new version is different of the old version with the pink sponge . I get the rubber sealed packaged, probably close to what can be an easy tuning. A slight smell of tuner is detected in any case. The road is currently embarked on Neptune, is Tension & Tuning like a backside covering. The greater softness of the pips is responsible for the better control.

Properties of the MILKY WAY Neptune Soft

Pips geometryhorizontal
Texture Yes
Pips length x pips width 1.65 mm x 1.5 mm
Aspect Ratio 1.1
Bottom layer 0,35 mm
Thicknes of the rubber 2.0 mm!
Hardness of the pips (1-5) soft(2)
Grip of the covering (1-5) mid-grippy(2)

Differences on the older Neptune with the pink sponge
Too bad the uncut covering is almost 1 cm shorter than before! Actually, almost everything remains the same. Geometry and AR are identical. Only the hardness and feel has changed. The necks are actually softer than the version with pink sponge. Earlier version of the Neptune still with creamy soft sponge were similar. The grip of the surface has increased significantly, while the feel of the necks is similar deep. This means that the control measures taken by central strokes is significantly increased and average reversal at tangential strokes is on such a high level as with the older version. The new version has a bright red sponge and I can not currently assign any brand. The sponge seems similarly hard as his predecessor and has a slight tension effect. The properties have more shifted towards an ALL game with better control in the block-and-off distance.

Short test a the ball machine

DIS-DISTANCE (93)
Pushing and chop blocking are controlled and even dangerous. The throw is medium and the speed is relatively high. Variable placements is rather mediocre and the surface takes spin from the balls and don't make spin reversal. The strokes are getting used to but are also quite dangerous. The lifts and flips produces a flat throw and allows variable placements. Control and danger is high, which makes it the ideal base for a more active play at this distance.

BLOCK-DISTANCE (94)
The side wiper is probably one of the highlights in this distance. The control is very high and the spin reversal too. The throw is medium, variable placements go well and controlled. The impact is very dangerous. Blocking is still not the domain of this covering, even though the control has improved significantly. The covering is still sensitive to the incoming pace of the balls. The throw is flat and can annoy your opponent. These strokes have little rotation and the balls dive off the table quickly.

OFF-DISTANCE(93)
The short defense provides a good control and only a moderate spin reversal. Therefore, the impact is not too dangerous. When driving it looks much better. If these stroked succeed it's pretty dangerous. The control is slightly difficult because of the flat throw.

DEF-DISTANCE (94)
The long defense is super safe and the huge spin reversal is very dangerous. The throw and the pace are medium. Another highlight of this covering is the topspin. This stroke works even better than in the previous versions. The control is high and the balls are dangerous because of the unexpectedly high spin.

CONCLUSION(94)
This softer and firmer version of the Neptune has enhanced the rubber. The Neptune is still not easy to play. For this you will be rewarded with good disturbing effects (central strokes) and a good spin reversal (tangential strokes). The covering is for the experienced player a true joy and supports a tricky allround game. Where previously super spin reversal in the long defense was the highlight, the Neptune offers now good options in each distance.

DMS Spinfire OX | STIGA Hornet | YASAKA Cobalt OX

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 18:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the review martinspin! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I can't help but wonder if the different version is actually intentionally different, or of they are perhaps getting the rubber made in a different factory, whose materials are a little differrent...

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 19:54 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
I can't help but wonder if the different version is actually intentionally different, or of they are perhaps getting the rubber made in a different factory, whose materials are a little differrent...

The topsheet feels like some softer versions of former Neptunes with the creamy soft spong. The pink spong brought slightly harder pips-necks. Now the spong has changed to a bright red one who's a little bit tuned. Perhaps the spong came from the same factory as the sponge of the Apollo? I got these sheet from Germany. Youmei Xu is the owner of the onlineshop galaxysport.de and has direct contacts to Yinhe. I'll ask him and will write here. You can't find this version e.g. at eacheng.net. Don't know why :)

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 02:23 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Does the soft version totally replace the ordinary version or are both versions available?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 03:03 
Super User

Lorre wrote:
Does the soft version totally replace the ordinary version or are both versions available?

The new version is only available at galaxysport.de. All other shop provide the version with the pink sponge.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 08:14 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
martinspin wrote:
The new version is only available at galaxysport.de. All other shop provide the version with the pink sponge.

Thx for the reply, martinspin. ;)

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 12:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I've seen more than one version of this rubber too, with different sponge colours, but I've not taken note of which is which, or whether the more recent ones were different to the older ones. You would think that if it was meant to be a different version, they'd indicate this on the packaging, as it would be a good selling point.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 14:10 
Super User

There's a white sticker on the cover "Neptune SOFT" and the rubber is sealed in a plastic bag. You can order the new version at Galaxysport.de.

Image.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 14:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Ah yes, that certainly looks different, thank you martinspin!

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 14:31 
Super User

Another new addition ist the indication of the sponge-thickness left to the "ITTF APPROVED" mapping.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 14:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

You're right... that was usually on a sticker on the back, as well as printed on the sponge.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 14:56 
Super User

I've played with the Neptune until today most successful. The only weakness was the block and so I am hopeful that the new version works better. I'm very excited about the next training session and will report :D