OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Is a Facebook'Like' button worthwhile on posts/threads?
Yes worthwhile and I would use it. 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
I don't mind, but would not use it 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Not worthwhile. 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject: Re: Facebook buttons?
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 07:25 

I think it's a good idea to advertise this forum all over, because in these generation most of the people use facebook and if our forum show the key button on it. They would like a massive blow on it.
This is my suggestion to you, if you like these. so done it and get a bookmark on it.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2011, 13:13 
Super User
Super User

markgrier93 wrote:
I think it's a good idea to advertise this forum all over
no doubt advertising would be extremely beneficial for the forum, but man, websites full of ads are horrible for the user

FH: Curl P-1R

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 20:49 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Advertising is good, but I want to carefully pick the target audience. I would want most members of my TT club to visit here, notwithstanding they're not all FB-friends of mine, and I would not want all (perhaps not even "most") of my FB friends as regulars on the forum.

Tassie also has very pertinent views, supporting and adding to my general conception of FB.

While Facebook is nice in some ways, I find it a relief to be rid of the facebook "noise carpet". The web is getting a wallpaper of "generalized social media" presence (mostly in the form of facebook presence), and I can do without that.

And to keep everyone from guessing :) : I voted "not worthwile".

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 22:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That pretty much leaves the vote completely undecisive :(

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 09:05 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

haggisv wrote:
That pretty much leaves the vote completely undecisive :(

Not undecisive, but dependent. The choice is either to make the change or not, and the "wouldn't mind" votes are votes cast, not blanks. However, they may fall on either side, depending on other factors.
  • If the introduction of a "FB Like" button requires some effort and you are asking whether to make that effort or not, the "wouldn't mind" votes would sit on the "no" side.
  • If the change is a matter of enabling a ready made plugin (no great effort) and the governing body of this site is in favour of the functionality, I'd say those votes sit on the "yes" side.
Alas, I guess the latter is the most likely situation. Oh, well, I don't really resent it all that much, anyway.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 09:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Generally they way I interpret votes like this, is that only if there is overwhelming support (and no strong arguments against it) would I impliment the changes. Judging by this I don't think I'll bother, but i will look at the option of making it available only for those that want it, if it's not too hard to impliment.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 09:14 
Horse Hockey!

As a practical matter, every bot service a page runs (like Facebook or Google Analytics or AdSense) ads another round-trip to a server who-knows-where. These calls don't always load as quickly as a webmaster would desire and can make the whole site sluggish. For many sites Facebook and some form of advertising are simply requirements that have to be lived with. But I don't see what benefits would accrue to OOAK except decreasing performance.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 09:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

cyber1call wrote:
As a practical matter, every bot service a page runs (like Facebook or Google Analytics or AdSense) ads another round-trip to a server who-knows-where. These calls don't always load as quickly as a webmaster would desire and can make the whole site sluggish. For many sites Facebook and some form of advertising are simply requirements that have to be lived with. But I don't see what benefits would accrue to OOAK except decreasing performance. 

A very solid argument for me not to do any work on this :up: :up: :up: :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 13:23 
Don Skaffa

Adding like would be semi targeted advertising, as to be shown on facebook members here have to click it. Chances are most members here at least have some other tabletennis people in their facebook.
Alternatively if you want to attract some more traffic and potentially interested users by facebook is simply invite various table tennis facebook group members to join (and repeat this on say an annual basis)... more targeted, no massive inflow of basically useless traffic.
Personally it wouldn't bother me, but I doubt the benefits of adding a like button, they would be marginal at best.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 14:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That's a good idea invite to facebook TT groups to the forum. I hardly use facebook myself but will have a look. :up:

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2012, 20:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm starting to change my mind on this issue...and since the vote was carried out some time ago, perhaps we should re-address it.

Having a facebook 'like' button for a thread makes it real easy to share it with Facebook friends or facebook groups. Even if only a few of us use them, a weekly post of the most interesting topic, posted to a TT group on Facebook, can give us a lot of exposure to interested people, and might bring these people here to respond. :up:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 13:56 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I must admit, cos I am used to "liking" things in facebook, sometimes I go to like a post here and realise I can't lol. Thanking someone for a post is different to liking a post...so often its not appropriate to thank a post, but you do want to like it.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.