OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 13:25 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

decoy wrote:
no videos..... would be awesome :)

thats right no videos would be awesome :lol: I saw my team mate getting video-ed , I should try and get a copy, mind you he is a super star and has played Kokinewa? last year

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 14:29 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Interesting posting technique there, rodderz. I read the post when it finished on having to pick up the baby. Fortunately I am a completist, so went back to it after the succeeding posts implied that there was more to it than that.

Close match. At 5-5, you had to play what we here call "the captain's knock", when you are the fill-in (if I have that right).

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 22:39 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

i see what you did there... :)

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 10:23 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Retriever wrote:
Interesting posting technique there, rodderz. I read the post when it finished on having to pick up the baby. Fortunately I am a completist, so went back to it after the succeeding posts implied that there was more to it than that.

Close match. At 5-5, you had to play what we here call "the captain's knock", when you are the fill-in (if I have that right).

Yes I didn't think I would have too much trouble as I can do plan B against this player, In this part of Auckland I would be in the top 5 players, but at least two of the best don't play interclub there for thier own reasons.
and it was confirmed I had the right baby afterall, I have a vid of her playing before she was 3 years old, I just want my daughter inlaw to upload it for me

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2012, 10:11 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Week 3 2nd round of the Auckland Interclub on Thursday
We had a 1.5 month break in the middle of this round
Our Two opponents were desperate to win as they have had 2 losses so far and know that too many more see them relegated to where they came from and our team played well to finish 3rd in the first round and now others are playing with more respect and fight against us
Thier first player is a former German National who was my team mate at the NZ Nationals and also my victom when we came accross each other in the National top eight of C grade last October (well we had played 7 times for him to win 7 and then I won the game that mattered the most lol) He is a leftie with a good sidespin loop, fantastic footwork, good serves, and will chase a ball to the next town, and a nice pull back block.
I played him first and kept up untill we were 6-6 and then fell asleep, my forehand smash wasn't working, he also varied his serves more and was actually just playing realy good, ecah game I got better but lost in 4-0 with the last 12-10, My fault for not being focused enough/not warming up at all/ not hitting with pips, as all three things made me beat him last time we played
Thier next player is a former Croation player witha young mans forehand loop and a servicable controled backhand, he tends to play very well or very bad, and can beat some higher level players when in form.
My partner played him first and was in absolute control thruout and just added more power and spin whenever needed, even when the Croation player was near winning some games, my young teamate just knew what to do, (alas to have such gifts)
Then he played the German leftie who was playing great fought for every point and came away thinking he didn't play bad at all but the score was 4-1 to my partner who is rising to all challengers even though he had never beaten the German before, his backing of his own skill gets him home
Me again, and although I have beaten the Croation before , I stuggled with not playing with my brain, missing my forehand and not playing ugly enough to break him down, but again I wasn't up to it in this competion 4-1 to him
the Doubles was great fun with us making a late come back to win the 1st then playing great to win the 2nd they got the next then we came again and were up 3-1. (all 4 were juices) They were too good in the next and then we slipped up when in cintrol in the 6th to make it 3-3. the final we were behind 5-3 at change of ends but get even at 8-8 the went ahead with my smash net/edge to be up 10-8, and somehow lost 14-12, with according to the umpire 156 points in total
all fun though :D

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 08:09 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Woo is me,
I playing in two different competions, one is a lot easier than the other, so in the easier one I can win with doing good serves, good third ball attacks, I fuddle them with my pips, which bring my forehand bottom spin into play ( they tend to worry about the pips but don't realise that I gain more points on my forehand because of that) and because the games are easier (well two easy and 1 harder game at this comp) I seldom backhand attack , seldom flick and I seldom try and loop the first long forehand oppertunity, Ill wait for a softer pop up and try and bruise someone. ....
Sooooo when I play in the harder Auckland one these are the exact things I need to do to put more pressure on the better players, I don't do very much training for myself I tend to help others,
My main problem is I like to win , so this is a double headed axe, as Ill do just enough to win against lower players ie if they are missing my backhand chops ,well Ill keep doing it, rather than hit one, pivit and forehand one or twiddle and loop one, so I know what I need to do but its comforatable to be ahead of players who Im ahead of but its not what I should be attempting to do to beat/compete against players above me

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 10:48 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I played in our Wednesday competion again (still just filling in)
this is round 3 and so far we have won 6-5 and 6-5 and in both matches we won both the 2 doubles on each night (so it has been very important to the overall result)
Well this week My leftie team mate went first against proper hard bat player using a 5 ply wooded bat with peacekeeper and Dr Evil ( please no Americans saying its not legal lol) Im just saying his style and equipment, he attacks from the backhand mainly over the ball and rolls it away, my TM started well winning the first but then (I think) got rutted down into the hardbat players game and didn't do a plan B', and lost the next 3 to loose 3-1, Then my next Team mate who uses buttlerfy short pips and sriver played thier No1 player who uses DTechs grass and some soft fast rubber on a fat DR N balsa blade, my mate did ok but lost in 4 games, So I played next against another up and comming leftie Jnr , who had recently tagged along with players in The National Training camp and who has been doing many hours of Coaching in the past 3 Months, The first game I won easily 11-3 and strut around the other side, so I think Ill try some forehand loops and diiferent serves only to be down 6-0 so im start to play better and just miss a few smashes but still down 9-0 and then I got a few token points, then next game Im up 7-1 so me make comment about which end is the good one lol, so I win fairly easy and then the forth game I knew just to get a head start will be enough to break him and Im up 7-1 and cruise to a win, His serves are a bit dodgy and I said to have some alternatives as he may get called for them
Next was the Doubles and so far we had won all doubles on offer anyhow as good as we played we lost 11-8 in the fifth match and all good fun, so we are down 3-1 in match so far and both my teamates were to loose thier next matchs as well and I play the hard bat player who I have had some trouble with but have always beaten, anyhow I pick on the fringes/ counter attack/ and mixed up my serves well to win 3 easy games, So now we are down 5-2 in the 11 match scedule, and not looking good,
We manage to win a fantastic 5 setter agianst them in our last doubles to make the score look a little better
Then to the last 3 singles matches
any way my short pips backhand player has his first win of the season against thier hard bat player , they have played against each other many times for evenish results, I think 3-1 win
then my leftie TM plays his best match this year to beat their young leftie, (it was all about the start as thier boys fades away fast without a good start) for a 3-0 win
So its up to me to finish the come back as we are now 5-5 , So I play thier LP player and although the 2nd game was close at 13-11 to me I basicaly out-thought him and won in 3 straight, to deserve the beers on offer afterwards

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 11:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
rodderz wrote:
So I play thier LP player and although the 2nd game was close at 13-11 to me I basicaly out-thought him and won in 3 straight, to deserve the beers on offer afterwards

That's it, think of the beers... that will keep the pressure off :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 11:21 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

haggisv wrote:
rodderz wrote:
So I play thier LP player and although the 2nd game was close at 13-11 to me I basicaly out-thought him and won in 3 straight, to deserve the beers on offer afterwards

That's it, think of the beers... that will keep the pressure off :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes lol, I have yet to write my Thursday results, from the highs to the lows :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 11:39 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Well after the elation of comming from behind (no jokes from the Aussies please) to win 6-5 on Wednesday and playing well agaainst two pimple players ,I came down crashing to earth on my harder Thursday night comp. We were playing two older pimple players who have both represented NZ at Veteran events one is around No60 in NZ and the other around 83 so much higher than mine or my partners level (but my partner still young lol)
the first player is a DTechs inverted leftie who is good a punch blocks, skiddy pushes, control, gets good angles and nice forehand at times to finish
the other also uses DTechs and BtF Tenergy 64 forehand, he has good stop blocks, great serves, spinny forehand and can chop abit if needed
Well we were both wipped 4-0 in nearly all the games (only my partner got 2 in one game ) but otherwise a hiding
I felt like how I make 11 y old boys miss my pips when they first come accross me. I couldn't land a shot, I tried to play stratagy in 1 game then he attacked I went all out in another and he used stratagy

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 09:20 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Im currently getting offered the prospect of running a Table tennis club , starting with 1 night a week and expanding to other nights if enough growth
There is a substatial cost for me but I surpossed to be looking at it long time investment

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 08:42 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

On Tuesday night I did some practice (as in I tried a bit more forehand opening loop and backhand attack) in 4 friendly games 3 of the players I could have beaten playing left hand but 1 is a powerful player but dosn't play enough, but for a change I just thought about shot selection rather than winning, so for me it was good to put some thought into attacking.

Wednesday night I wasn't called to fill in for interclub (I believe Im the only 100% singles player) so I went out East and played against some high level Jnrs, One boy had never beaten me in a game before won 1 game out of 6, but thats partly my job there as some foder for the up and commers, so they learn to play against spin better

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 16:47 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Well Thursday interclub round 2 week 5 (last game of this round) we are coming 2nd to last and as two teams drop out each round and the two highest B teams come up, we were on the brink of going down
We needed to try and get maximum points and hope that the 4th place team had a big lose
So our last game is against the last placed team
The first of the two players is about 6' 8" man and plays robotically doing beautiful counter shots off each side and when you do nothing he will get nice side spin topspin off the right edge, he gives many players fits with his counter hits
There next player is a older (former high level two inverted side chopper) who seldom attacks but can grind some good backspins in that look like plums but are loaded with spin
I play the tall counter hitter first, and I quickly fell into his pattern thinking he would have trouble with my pips, so I fall behind 11-5 but the next game I serve lots of variation and attack early to different locations to try and break him down and I won 11-9 next game he now understands my motive and returns the serves better, also pinning me over to my backhand or angle blocking very severe to my forehand and he won 11-7, next game I did a few twiddles that worked and won 11-6 , but that was as high as I got and lost the next two games as I run out of ideas lol (he’s ranked around 70places above me)

My partner played the chopper next and played the perfect game of looping a few good ones and then getting close and driving a good winner,he also worked the chopper in and out and won 4-1

(My young team mate always wants to play 2 in a row and this seems to suit every team we play) So he’s up next against the tall counter hitter, and my TM first loop is blocked away perfectly so he knew he had a game on, the game when to and fro with my Tm getting mini runs when he changed the pattern and he did slow serves or attacked early but the Tall counter hitter kept adapting, and it came down to a 11-9 win in the 7th to my TM , he just said it was a fluke and the game could have gone anyway, but I thought he played fantastic and came right when it mattered most

Next was me against the chopper, I lost the first game because I had no game plan, so I worked on mixing slow shots and powerful slams to bring him in and blast him away and I more or less did this throughout winning 4-2, he seldom attacked me but could never return any of my forehand blasts as he would against a looper, so we are up now 3-1 and we hope the team just above us is having a bad time lol

I tell my TM that we must win the doubles to stay in A grade and we stayed organized and picked on the chopper for the most part, it was funny that he attacked my pips in the doubles for good winners (but never in the singles) we were up 3-0 and then 12-12 in the 4th when we were lucky to sneak ahead, my TM is ready to serve when I tell him he must do a two bounce serve or else lol and he did the perfect two bounce white line hitter that made the chopper miss, so we won 4-1 and then rush to see what happened in the other game, but they lost 5-0 so we stay in A grade until the end of summer yehaa, I still need someone better than me to replace me hehehehe

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 09:01 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

http://www.ittf.com/_front_Page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=26411&Category=news&Competition_ID=&

This event is comming around fast

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2012, 07:41 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I had my once a week casual hit at West Auckland , Someone complained about my pips so I said Ill use a 'Normal bat' lol
with red diamond and Donic F3, the funny thing about a soft rubber like F3 is I can go from pips to it without any warmup, it might be my more open backhand stroke, any how I still won against a few players, I went back to my bat fora harder game but I think I would have won anyway (but always hard to know) this player is a young 17yo with a massive opening loop and he uses 563 on his backhand , after me winning the first two games, I gave him some tactics/ guidence and help , then he won 14-12, so just knew that a good start would make him defeat himself and I won the last 10-4, I would really like to give him coaching and maybe try and find a suitable backhand rubber to make him pick a style for at least 6 months

Later I was watching a new player and I said to his parents ill give hime some coaching (he is Chinese and I find that Asian kids at least at the start will listen better, copy correctly and really appreciate the help) so with 5 mins I could rally with the boy 20 times over and then got his parents to watch, they couldn't believe it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next