OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 11:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good one rodderz :rock: :rock: :rock:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 11:49 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

catch cry "superior fitness" there is me

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

Last edited by rodderz on 27 Apr 2012, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 10:40 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

my team mate Victor ma, who has dropped me so he can play in the Premier grade (which runs over the Winter) well my job is done lol
anyhow I will be in a team the should fit between A grade and B grade, so all good fun , It starts again in a few weeks

Victor just missed out on getting a spot in the Oceania Jnr games held in Guam in a Month

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 17:13 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I played in the Auckland Anzac open (non ratings points event)
Every game I played was a player in the top 100 in NZ, and because of the fact I'm playing A grade inter-club, I had to play A grade and the men's open (well that's what I wanted to do anyway but there were many higher rated players than me in the B grade so its a bit of an enigma, but not something I worried about
My first game was against number 42 (penholder) in New Zealand and as I'm trying Tibhar I.Q max on my forehand and its at 8.30 start and didn't warm up and he was much better/faster and could attack any serve I think I was lucky to get to 5 in a couple of games
he even commented after the 2 game that I must have new rubbers as I didn't counter hit 1 back

Next game was against (he's a 2 winged looper at around number 65 in NZ) I played a bit better and got much closer, but I couldn't find any answers (well I could and thats to move but I kept stopping) |-)

the Next game was against the number 1 under 15 girl in NZ and although I beat her both times at inter-club she saw how the others played me and kept the ball on my backhand and this time she didn't miss when I did slow balls (it usually mucked her up) also in other games my forehand chop was always a winner but she didn't serve on that side at all, I should have done more backhand pip rolls and also kept it to her backhand, Only 1 person goes tru , and with no rating points I was too casual

Then I had 1 game of doubles with a German traveler but he wasn't as good as I thought lol, he had a new bat with Red Diamond and Yinhee moon 37 , but we played well and only just lost against 1 of the favorite teams who eventually got to the final, so we had a lot of fun there

Then I played in the Men's Open and had my first game against New Zealand's highest ranked modern-chopper (around 28-30 in NZ) well he didn't chop much against me and he was mainly working on attacking in preparation against the better players in our pool, I have got games off of him before but today he was using me as target practice, but did get close with a 9 and a 8 in two of the games

Then I played against number 24 ish in NZ and he is a young man with beautiful counters (he recently did 3 months in China training) and has beaten the number 16 in NZ recently, but again I didn't play too bad but he was only toying hehehe I did tell the on lookers that he had never beaten me before but he was 12 then

My last game was against a under 15 player ranked around 5 in NZ, I have had epic battles before but again I let the good players dictate the pace , so I came up short

I had 1 last game of Doubles in the Men's Open against a father son combo, the boy is a new super star around 11 years old and from China and he beat a player ranked number 34 in NZ in his pool but lost to a pip player but won his last against a double pip player so in a long count-back qualified first in his group,
anyhow back to the doubles, we should have planed for me to hit to the boy in the first game but I clean forgot this plan, ( I forgot to say his father was a provincial champion 20 years ago lol) but he only cranked it up if needed.
the first game didn't go good but in the next we were up 8-3 but my partner (I can really blame him now ) just missed his next 6 shots for them to come back and win 12-10, so in the last we weren't any match

So my record was 8 from 8 (I mean 8 no wins from 8 lol) and usually I would say I learnt from playing these higher ranked players but today I really didn't At the recent NZ Veterans I proved I could beat higher ranked players but I just never got into it at the event but I had a great day and met many good people ( well I nearly knew everybody anyway lol)

I had one student playing and he a chopper he did win 1 game and could have won more if he just kept'd chopping against the other kids

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 17:47 
The Unprogrammable Player

Hi, rodderz, how high are you ranked in your country? It's nice that you get to play many strong opponents :)
Also, In your opinion how big of a gap there is between nr 1-5 and nr 20? and between nr ~20 and nr ~40?

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 18:06 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Justas wrote:
Hi, rodderz, how high are you ranked in your country? It's nice that you get to play many strong opponents :)
Also, In your opinion how big of a gap there is between nr 1-5 and nr 20? and between nr ~20 and nr ~40?

I'm currently at around number 186 in NZ, but should go up several places as I had some good wins at the NZ Veterans and got to play against every OOKT forum member who went including Greg Letts ( no one seemed interested though lol) anyhow the top 10 players have a little gap and the next 10 (but the top player is easy better than anyone else and would be ranked about 3 in the Oceania system)
the next 20-30 players are a mixture of youth and experience so many battles there as the young ones progress or come unstuck,
We are similar to many rating systems of having (some Veterans who only enter Veteran events or non rating events) and these players have very high rankings but would drop a bit if they entered more open of Graded events
also players stay on the list for over a year if they don't play and also seem to keep their rating even if coming back with several years break so I would like them to have a very small rating decrease each year after 2 years non playing (i'm just saying as there are a few highly ranked players who are not the strength they once were and therefor should drop marginally in my opinion

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 19:07 
The Unprogrammable Player

Well I think in my country there is a similar situation :) I think there is nothing bad that people keep their rating though they stop playing for a few years. In general good lower players should just gain more points during the absence and overtake them. For example 7 years ago I gained my best ranking and was ranked about ~60 in the country, then I stopped playing and during that time we even changed the rankings calculation system.. And when I came back 7-8 months ago (from now) saw that I dropped (or was overtaken by many people) to ~200th place :)

In my opinion in Lithuania we can grade the players like this:
Tier 1: ranked 1-19, though first 10 are stronger, but many upsets may happen.
Tier 2: ranked 20-40
Tier 3: ranked 40-70
Tier 4: ranked 70-150
Tier 5: ranked 150-300
Tier 6: ranked 300-500
Tier 7: have no idea how it goes for the rest till 1k

In general there is quite a big gap between the tiers, if you want to jump a tier you have to work hard in training and you really must step up your game a lot, but first 20 is years above everyone that are 40+
In most cases higher ranked tier should win quite comfortably, unless you've increased your level significantly.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 20:33 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Justas wrote:
Well I think in my country there is a similar situation :) I think there is nothing bad that people keep their rating though they stop playing for a few years. In general good lower players should just gain more points during the absence and overtake them. For example 7 years ago I gained my best ranking and was ranked about ~60 in the country, then I stopped playing and during that time we even changed the rankings calculation system.. And when I came back 7-8 months ago (from now) saw that I dropped (or was overtaken by many people) to ~200th place :)

In my opinion in Lithuania we can grade the players like this:
Tier 1: ranked 1-19, though first 10 are stronger, but many upsets may happen.
Tier 2: ranked 20-40
Tier 3: ranked 40-70
Tier 4: ranked 70-150
Tier 5: ranked 150-300
Tier 6: ranked 300-500
Tier 7: have no idea how it goes for the rest till 1k

In general there is quite a big gap between the tiers, if you want to jump a tier you have to work hard in training and you really must step up your game a lot, but first 20 is years above everyone that are 40+
In most cases higher ranked tier should win quite comfortably, unless you've increased your level significantly.

I just think a loss of say 5-10 rating points per year will be more accurate if someones leaves for 2 years (It might only mean a place or 2 down) we have some come back after 5-10 years and have the same points as before lol

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 20:48 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

The New Zealand system is
1-24 or 25 is A grade
25-100 is B grade
101-200 is C Grade
and 201 and below D grade

I wouldn't mind having more grades or tiers but on the whole you just try and beat players above and not loose to players below you to go up
our interclub systems are total unrelated to any National ratings

PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 22:02 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Well the first round of or Winter Interclub started on Thursday
I'm in a new team of three players (only two play each week) so we will rotate around
So I got the call up for week 1
My partner is a 6.7 or taller player , who just counter hits from both wings and mainly stays in the middle and gets good angels but will loop one up if the opposition goes back
Our opposition were two over 50's Chinese players
the first one was a traditional penhold player
who punches or pushes with his backhand and tries fast attack on the forehand side, he has a few dodgy serves but only for the big points lol

I have played before maybe 3 years ago and then in the B grade when we were moving up
I started out good and mainly varied the spin just to let him miss , its sometimes a bad plan in hindsight because I often let them play themselves into the game, but his power hits weren't as strong and many times I just padded them back while he was looking at his shot
so I won the first game 11-5 and the same the next, He tried many things but I was too steady and started to attack more of his serves with my pips and get some more loops on, I think I had to at that time to break his building confidence, I won the third 11-8, I wanted a good start to try and finish him in straight sets, we stayed fairly even until I got a mini break to 8-5, and then stayed 3 points in front
He was rubbing his elbow and din't play as well but at the same time I played with good confidence to win 4-0

Their other player did used to play penhold but went shakehand a few years ago so he could cover his backhand more, he still has a nice loop and forehand smack and counter drive off topspin and was one of the best in A grade but not as successful as before

My team-mate played him next, I didn't really watch too much, as he just plays his own unique styles of counter push counter hit all day and night and just played with better control than his opposition to win 4-2

Then my teammate played again and went against the traditional cpen player, I umpired and my TM looked good and steady winning the first game 11-5 he got off to a good start again and won 11-8 ish but looked a bit wonky before coming home good
again he got off to a flyer but the cpen player pegged him back and just won 11-9
I wanted my TM to win , so we could relax and already claim the victory
my TM kept getting off to good starts and again the cpen player came back but this time my TM got there so now it was 3 -1 and as usual off to a good start and then this game he lost 12-10, I was more nervous watching than playing, off to the good start and then back to 9-9 but this time one good shot and one net got him home
My turn again , I have played the shakehander twice for two close wins, Last time with the wrong bat, This time I wanted to pips attack whenever possible, he also kept away from my forehand and I kept him away from his, I managed to get many good backhand strikes in , although some came back I usually collect good points with hard forehand chops but he stayed away from there so I was glad I decided to play with good pimple confidence , i kept on top, the pips were starting to worry him and he was getting angrier with himself and my style but I stayed strong and won 4-0
So now we were leading 4-0 in Matches as well so now for doubles, I was a bit worried as we both are not good movers and both either tall or fat lol, i decided to get to my forehand as much as possible to get in first as my TM never really opens up but can finish good, our plan worked and we won in straight sets ( they may have been broken by then ) but a 5-0 win was what we wanted as they will be one of the weaker teams so every point counts

PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 22:07 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Im playing in the North Islands in the weekend , so better sleep lol

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 08:58 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I played in the North Island Championships in the weekend
my events were
NZ B grade (26-100) in NZ and doubles
NZ C Grade (101-200) in NZ and doubles
over 40's singles and doubles
over 50's singles and doubles
Entries were very low and I had a chance of getting a medal in every doubles match but I couldn't win one game (I had 4 different partners) and I'm usually good with (partner required) partners although I have played with 3 of them before, but I believe I was either too safe , too much the same and too slow to take opportunities, also no pre game or not enough actual game tactics. So enough about that

In the C grade I was seeded 2nd in our 4 person group, behind a push-blocker cpen long pimple player, anyways I won my first game against an up and coming Jnr , who I have practiced with and have had many games against, I want them to improve but I suddenly want to change that idea in a competition game lol, He played quite well and I won the first two games with out much trouble, then he was up 7-3 in the next and I stopped and too check, because that last thing I wanted was him to get his tail up, so I started serving short to his forehand either inverted or pimples and it worked every-time , he tried a bit harder but was just missing so I ended up winning 11-8 in the last

Next I played the push-blocker, and I really found this hard as when I did no spin he did a slight lift and topspin a simple angled block, he just used angles /placement and played very well, We did have a close game but somehow he won every game with some over the 10 all mark, I think I would do better if I played him again

Then I played another up and coming Jnr, who at last years NZ open beat a player ranked around 40 in NZ, but unlike the other boy this one had no idea and didn't even try at the end, I had a talk to him recommending he play more games against the older players from his region and not just against the same style as himself

So I made it to the next round and got to play against a double sided pimple player PR-1 backhand and I think a Japanese spin pips but I didn't look. He is very experienced and has played for NZ in Veteran tests and probably has beaten ever Jnr boy he has every played until they learn lol, anyhow I think I was way to passive and thought my backhand rolls would stuff him up but unlike pogo which is good for causing dump balls the Mo Wang 11 I'm using was fairly mellow at this particular stroke, (Side-note I didn't get the right one off the shelf and I should really be using Mo Wang 1 lol) but each type has its strength and weakness, He won 3-1 but some games were close and he was able to pick hit more often right in the corner at random times, my trouble was I should have been attacking him more , well I guess more learning, If I had won I would have played against my ex team-mate from Inter-club who was having I good competition and was on the way to collecting 4-5 medals from the event, he went on to win the C grade against the player who he lost to in straight sets last year in the same event

I next played in the B grade with only two players in my pool, the one I thought I would do better with now practices weekly with pips players and didn't even have to think against me he just knew what to do , such a beautiful touch but he dosn't really try.
The Next player was 1st or 2nd seed and has the most amazing power loop backhand out of anyone there, I did very well though as I was leading 10-6 in the first then lost, behind in the next then won, leading the next 10-6 then decided to all out attack and won 11-8, then another close game next to him, then he just upped the anti and blasted everything and then won 11-3 and then said "he was just playing with me " I told him 'bulls/ip" lol, but his mother has good banana cake, so I went and got his seat and sat with his parents "another slice there Rodney" "Oh I don't mind if I do please"

In the over 40's pool I had 3 other players that If I played well may have won them all but was too cold and just not used to 8.30 morning games and only played better against the top seed than the ones who I had a better prospect with (I was bottom seed and have beaten one of them before) I was just landing anything, so the seeding's went to plan alas

In the over 50's again a 8.30 start on day 2, I was in a pool with NEW Zealand's top pip player K Lyle using D-Techs and now Tenergy (also the over 60's NZ National Veterans singles and doubles and over 50's doubles champion etc etc ) and a Leftie anti player who will use the anti 85% of all shots (also NZ Table Tennis President) I played K Lyle first and he won 11-3 so I went to him for coaching and he said you can't attack my serves like that you must spin them up and not try and bash it lol, I tried everything but his control . footwork and superior game tactics made me look silly.
so The Leftie anti played him next and although they hadn't met before, the President had heard all out about him, and he had the same bad scores results as me . So I played the leftie next, and started ok but lost the first 12-10 but played better in the next to win around 11-8 ish I was trying to spin more and spin forward rather than up, he played well in the next to be ahead 2-1 in games and then somehow got my best shots back in the next game to be ahead 9-4 and then 10-5 so I think spin not hit spin not hit, and completely relaxed mind you I did smash the last two to win 12-10 and carried the momentum over to win the next game 11-2 after being ahead 8-0 so somehow I won 15 points in a row, the umpire and 1 minute coach was just cracking up with the scores and said "see spin forward like a discus" I thought that was funny as that is what I say to my students lol

My last game in singles was the next round over 50's and I played against a lobber /fisher who can really spin it up when he wants to , we had a real game of attacker against defender and it was the only game I got tired in and I ended up loosing 11-5 or 6 in the 5th, I had beaten him before but I think I was just too tired and he played well
the results are here http://www.sportsground.co.nz/northislands

Overall I lost to no one seeded below me and won against 1 player seed above ,so a slight increase in ratings, mind you our TTNZ has been very slow updating ratings because of open event Associations not sending in their results

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 19:05 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Well from the highs to the lows
2nd week of A Grade interclubs goes way wrong so I won't bother talking about it except and brains and table tennis is too important lol
(anyhow we lost 5-0 to the 2nd / 3rd top team) who train daily against pimples so we got blasted
but all good fun and excersise
I did change to Mo Wang 1, an hour before , actually Im starting to find many pimples a little simalar lol

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2012, 21:36 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I'm a bit behind with my interclub results so Ill update soon
(more of a self reminder)

Anyhow I played in the Counties Open, and as they had some prize money players like Kevin Wu, Phillip Xiao and Teng Teng Liu (someone said he beat William Henzel in Australia in the Teams?? event last year in Australia) but I'm unsure of this result, but is ranked in the top 4 in Australasia, anyhow Teng Teng has been unbeaten here in NZ for the past two years and was once ranked 35 for under 18's in the World and was and still is a World class player , .....Then a Swedish player Johan Axelquist who has been in NZ for the past 6 months or so doing work and study I believe. He decides to enter at the last minute
we checked out that he was at his best 110 in the World but he said he hasn't been competitive for 18 months so he was unsure how he would go, the organisers were told by Phillip just to seed Johan as number 1, which had them scratching their heads for a while, but he was installed as 1st seed, so everyone was keeping an eye out as he progressed and the general concenses was although he was good there looked like some floors in his game (more rusty than bad) . I only entered the Open as I just was there for fun and set up a shop, I played Teng Teng first up and he was great fun playing the current NZ Open Champion, I wasn't too bad getting 3,3 and 5 but the trouble is he gives you limited chances and I tended to rush lol, I then played Craig Dye who is NZ's top chopper and seems to float around 25 to 35 in NZ rankings but because of some bad North Island results in now at 49 I think anyhow a high level chopper who uses palio CK531A in 1mm, I have done better before but got 4.5 or 6 points as I stupidly tried to smash his chops lol, I won my next match easily by chopping (well it was like the in thing to do), then I played in the plate but lost against a little Chinese superstar block/hitter (well trained in China boy) who had real trouble with my pips at first then adjusted to beat me 3-1
Right back to the main subject Johan, he played Craig Dye the chopper next and just pick hit the right balls and used clever serves to 3rd ball attack, Craig said he thought his serves were a bit too clever and even though Craig lost 4-0 he did say that Johan wasn't good in all areas of his game , Johan and Teng Teng both progressed to the semi's where Teng Teng had to play Phillip Xiao, Teng Teng eventually won (I didn't see the scores) but the game seemed long and there were many fantastic rallies, Johan then played Kevin Wu (well both games were running together) and Johan seemed to get there comfortably 4-0
Well when the final started no one moved everyone just stopped to watch (well it had the feeling of a World class match right here in front of us, Yohan seemed to have a set way of dealing with Teng Teng by going backhand to backhand then one to the other corner then counter hit Teng Tengs reply, and he zoomed off to a great start and won fairly easy, next game it was more even but Yohan got a mini break and held on to win 11-8ish , Teng Teng started to move better and attacked well at every opportunity, to win the next around 11-8, Yohan just stayed calm and went back to his basics and served kickers and stoppers, which gave Teng Teng trouble, and then used his superior backhand and his re_looping strokes to win the next two games, Teng Teng did try hard in fact he maybe tried too hard trying to take forehands from each wing but this just suited Yohans tactics better in the end, So in the end Yohan won 4-1
Then Yohan and Phillip won the Doubles beating Kevin and Teng Teng after being down two sets to come back and win 3-2

Overall we were amazed by the rallies, the short game, the power and the spin generated by both players and it was fantastic to see such a contest in our own backyard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!