OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Defence II review
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 15:38 
Super User

I have been using the Defence II on and off for the last 4 months and keep coming back to it. Combined with the Akkadi K1 it is a great blade to use with SP and LP. (The K1 is a bit faster than 802).
The blade is made out of 3 willow plies but the handle and 1/4 of the lower blade section has 5 plies of another timber. This construction allows the blade to be stiff yet very soft.
The combination of stiffness and softness gives the blade exceptional control when playing with a fast SP.
It is very versatile for a defender since the soft outer plies allow excellent touch around the table, blocks well and even though the blade is stiff chopping away from the table is above average.

The blade is rated DEF, but when you start hitting the balls go very fast ... I would say the blade has two gears. It is definitely a DEF when playing at the table but plays more like an ALL+/OFF- when you start hitting with it.

Post subject: Re: Defence II review
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 15:26 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I have been useing the Defense II for about a month or two. I really like so far. Very comfortable to chop FH and BH. But you can never tell its true potential until you use it in a tourney. Which is what I'm doing in about 9 hours. Sucks to be me cause I still have to work for another 2 hours. Go home and sleep for a few hours then drive for 1 1/2 hours to get there. I will update you all through out the day.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 17:06 
Liquid Evil Chopper

The best chopping blade on the BH for me but I can't gel well with the FH for either loops or chops. It's not the blade's fault it's just me. :oops:

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 08:20 
Super User

BB, I bought the DII after trying your blade. At first I was using Galaxy pluto on the FH but found it too slow even though the control was good. It is only since I got the K1 that I went back to the DII. The K1 is significantly faster than pluto, and the combination with the DII works very well. Good control and super fast balls when I hit hard.
I have never heard anyone recommend the DII for a short pip player but I think it is an excellent blade, especially if you have an LP on the other side.

@Grumpy, all the best for your tourney, let us know how you go.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 17:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
jang song man,pro using def II with short pips,although on b/h

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 20:43 
The Unprogrammable Player

Maybe this blade changed it's characteristics along the way, but I want to disagree with bvautier and say that defence II feels at least medium hard (bought mine 8 months ago), but not "very soft". Blade is stiff, there are no vibrations on the handle when hitting the ball, there is no flex. Blade has no bounciness or catapult effects, it is very linear, meaning that you will always get as much power as you've put in. That's why control of this blade is really high and you can always predict where your balls will land, there are no surprises (when attacking). For someone who is not used to semi-large blades, defence II might seem a little heavy.

Spin: this blade can definitely generate spin when chopping, but to be fair I think that softer blades with some flex generate more spin (Matsushita PRO was best in this department).
Blocks: blocking faster loops with this blade is very easy, I found that stronger/faster blocks works fantastic on this blade. Super spiny loops are a bit of a problem, but I think that's more of a rubbers problem and not the blades..
Hits/smashes: let me start by saying that this blade has lots of power even though it was meant for defense. With proper rubber combo there is no ball you could not hit.. Hitting looser loops is just like taking a candy from a baby.
Loops/drives: I haven't found any flaws when looping except maybe there could be more spin on the loops. Otherwise it's great: blade works well with short strokes and long strokes (I mostly use straight arm long strokes), has crazy power near the table and enough power away from the table. You can loop from any distance quite comfortably.
Chops: chopping is easy & very consistent, but you might spend some time till you find LP's that have the right speed for you, because using high speed LP's with this blade is quite a challenge. For starters I could recommend Milky-Way 955 moxa in 0.7 thickness. This is a good combo to feel the blade and it's specifics :)

The only problem I had with this blade was finding right FH rubber.. Tackiness chop I and II were a disaster.. Tibhar: nibmus, nimbus sound, aurus were bad also. Tried few more till I bought Hexer Powersponge and after just 1 training session I knew that I found something that works. With this blade and rubber combo I've improved my game drastically since the season start.

Conclusion: there are blades that are better for defense and there are blades that are better for offense, BUT defence II really shines when it comes to mixing defense with powerful attacks. For me it's almost a perfect balance between the two.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 07 May 2012, 22:51 
Super User

bvautier wrote:
The blade is made out of 3 willow plies but the handle and 1/4 of the lower blade section has 5 plies of another timber.

This is also a clear offence against the ITTF formalities (Technical leaflet T4)
Quote:
"Continuity" (The Law 2.4.5) implies that each layer shall be continuous; for instance, a
blade consisting of one type of plywood in the centre and another type at the edge would not
be considered to be continuous. It is accepted that the veneers of plywood are normally
made by edge-gluing pieces together to make a continuous sheet; the resulting joints may
appear in the blade, but joints in more than one direction are not permitted, and neither are
joints that extend from one face through to the other.

Quote:
2.04.05 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness.

So guys :lol: you 're using irregular material.

p.s. but don't bother :wink: nobody seems to care about this law. There numerous blades which should not be allowed: Donic and Andro sell blades with grids in the blade; Stiga has blades with channels filled with micromaterials. Whereas there is a great hullabalo about rubbers (ppm booster, fresh glueing, friction of long pimples), blades are out of interests. Typical for these ITTF dabblers |-) .

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 06:27 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
@Justas: Great review! Have you tried Joo Se Hyuk? How would you compare those two? I have a DII but I haven't used it much since I still love my Joo-blade so much. But last time had a lnger go with my DII I found it difficult to get enough power on my FH attacks. I used the same rubber on both blades but DII felt a lot slower. I felt that the difference in speed wasn't that great on BH-chops...

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 06:32 
Super User

Justas wrote:
... you can always predict where your balls will land
:lol:

Blade: Dotec Ovtcharov All +

FH: Friendship 802-40 2mm
BH: DMS Transformer 1mm

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 16:05 
The Unprogrammable Player

Def-attack wrote:
@Justas: Great review! Have you tried Joo Se Hyuk? How would you compare those two? I have a DII but I haven't used it much since I still love my Joo-blade so much. But last time had a lnger go with my DII I found it difficult to get enough power on my FH attacks. I used the same rubber on both blades but DII felt a lot slower. I felt that the difference in speed wasn't that great on BH-chops...

I have tried Joo blade only once (played 1 set only) with some old generation rubbers that I didn't like, but Joo seemed a bit faster than DII. I will try to somehow get my hands on Joo blade in the future and give it a proper try.
Regarding the FH power: I'm guessing that when you're doing your strokes, your arm is too tense or there is not enough acceleration in your swing. It really has enough power on the quality strokes, meaning if you hit the ball when it's still ascending or at the top point with a proper stroke (when your whole body goes forward) it has enough power to 1shot your opponent :)
But have in mind that I'm playing with hexer powersponge. I don't know if the blade will be this good with another rubber.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 15 May 2012, 16:26 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I do most of my loops with a thin hit, lots of spin. I guess DII requires a more direct hit to reveal its full power... But I was confused that I felt such a difference between those two blades in that aspect. Could also be that my Joo is heavier than my DII and that the rubber on DI wasn't broken in properly. I am going to switch rubber on my blades and see if my worn TG3 will play faster on DII than my new TG3.

PostPosted: 19 May 2012, 22:35 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
bvautier wrote:
The blade is made out of 3 willow plies but the handle and 1/4 of the lower blade section has 5 plies of another timber. This construction allows the blade to be stiff yet very soft.
The combination of stiffness and softness gives the blade exceptional control when playing with a fast SP.
It is very versatile for a defender since the soft outer plies allow excellent touch around the table, blocks well and even though the blade is stiff chopping away from the table is above average.

The blade is rated DEF, but when you start hitting the balls go very fast ... I would say the blade has two gears. It is definitely a DEF when playing at the table but plays more like an ALL+/OFF- when you start hitting with it.

The part of the blade where you strike the ball is a consistent 3 ply from the looks of it, and below there, where the rubber label and your fingers go, the middle ply is different and replaced with 3 plies from the looks of it. The blade has a JTTA tag on the handle, so I doubt its an illegal design.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 22:39 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
So any more reviews that can compare Joo x Def II????

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 01:12 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
manofan wrote:
So any more reviews that can compare Joo x Def II????

Looking for a new blade, Manofan? It will be hard to find one that performs better than the Victas Koji Matsushita, I think

Last edited by Pipsy on 05 Dec 2012, 23:45, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 02:10 

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
Not exactly looking for a new one, but i have traded with SuperHappyFunSlide my MPA for his defII. Wile it dosent arrive here i am making some info about this blade that i allways dreamed about.
I have a Joo But I dont like it, IDK why but i just dont like it.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!