OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 00:04 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
http://www.zdnet.com/the-ping-pong-peop ... 000002383/

Ping pong might not be the first sport to spring to mind when the subject of 'doping' comes up, but the sport's authorities are taking no chances for the Olympics — they've called in RAE systems to ensure that everything that takes place on the table tennis table is above board.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 07:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the article MNNB! :up:

If it wasn't for the IOC/ITTF using the word 'doping' when it comes to tuners/boosters, the media would never have used it. As a result it's reflecting badly on our sport, equating people that tune with those that dope in other sports. :n: :n: :n:

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 08:53 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
All thanks to our great leaders that wants a good image for our sport. :swear: :n:

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 10:43 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I'm sorry bat :Chop: but you are banned for playing for two years ;(

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 15:56 
Stir Crazy

haggisv wrote:
If it wasn't for the IOC/ITTF using the word 'doping' when it comes to tuners/boosters, the media would never have used it. As a result it's reflecting badly on our sport, equating people that tune with those that dope in other sports.
I don't want to start an argument about the appropriateness or otherwise of certain words, but I think we should equate "people that tune with those that dope in other sports". As the article says,
Quote:
"While most of us associate cheating scandals with mainstream professional sports, the practice of paddle doping goes to show that even the relatively tame world of table tennis is not immune to this culture where athletes are willing to take extreme measures — and yes, even cheat — to gain the upper hand over the competition," a spokeswoman for RAE Systems told ZDNet.
If boosting is not allowed - and I know some will argue that the rules are badly written on this, but we all know, don't we ;) - then boosting is cheating.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 16:11 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
This article is full of lies. It makes it sound like RAE was called in especially to find "paddle doping" cheats at the Olympics when in reality they've been working at all the ITTF events for years. Secondly, their crappy machine can't even detect professionally tuned paddles anyway. Thirdly, it's legal to "dope" your paddle if you have the manufacturer do it. The ITTF rules specifically allow paddle doping.

Instead of a story like this that's full of misinformation, I'd like to see a reporter do a story about the head of an international sports organization lying through his teeth.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 17:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Tassie52 wrote:
haggisv wrote:
If it wasn't for the IOC/ITTF using the word 'doping' when it comes to tuners/boosters, the media would never have used it. As a result it's reflecting badly on our sport, equating people that tune with those that dope in other sports.
I don't want to start an argument about the appropriateness or otherwise of certain words, but I think we should equate "people that tune with those that dope in other sports". As the article says,
Quote:
"While most of us associate cheating scandals with mainstream professional sports, the practice of paddle doping goes to show that even the relatively tame world of table tennis is not immune to this culture where athletes are willing to take extreme measures — and yes, even cheat — to gain the upper hand over the competition," a spokeswoman for RAE Systems told ZDNet.
If boosting is not allowed - and I know some will argue that the rules are badly written on this, but we all know, don't we ;) - then boosting is cheating.

I don't disagree that that it's cheating, but I think that doping is in a whole other league of cheating compared to boosting rubbers, and comparing the two is rather rediculous. I'm sure in many other sports people tweak their equipment, which may or may not be legal, but comparing this to people taking drugs to enhance their bodies seems way out of proportion. Just like in crime, some criminals are much worse than others (as judges by society), and comparing a petty criminal to a hard core criminal, just because they both committed a crime, does not seem appropriate.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 17:12 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

There's plenty of evidence that some but not all top level pros boost their rubbers. On the other hand I don't think the problem is anywhere near the level people think it is outside forum culture and outside the top few players.

I don't believe there are any as in zero players at the tournaments I play using booster. If there are they must be in such small numbers it's insignificant, there can't be more than 3 from a group of 300 players and I'm fairly sure there's not even 3. There's a lot of talk and hype for a problem that isn't real.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 17:17 
Stir Crazy

haggisv wrote:
I don't disagree that that it's cheating, but I think that doping is in a whole other league of cheating compared to boosting rubbers, and comparing the two is rather rediculous. I'm sure in many other sports people tweak their equipment, which may or may not be legal, but comparing this to people taking drugs to enhance their bodies seems way out of proportion. Just like in crime, some criminals are much worse than others (as judges by society), and comparing a petty criminal to a hard core criminal, just because they both committed a crime, does not seem appropriate.
Fair point. And I must admit that there have been a number of athletes who fit the "enhanced body" stereotype, including some Aussies! :o

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 17:55 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
foam wrote:
There's plenty of evidence that some but not all top level pros boost their rubbers. On the other hand I don't think the problem is anywhere near the level people think it is outside forum culture and outside the top few players.

I don't believe there are any as in zero players at the tournaments I play using booster. If there are they must be in such small numbers it's insignificant, there can't be more than 3 from a group of 300 players and I'm fairly sure there's not even 3. There's a lot of talk and hype for a problem that isn't real.

I agree. In fact in 4 years I can only recall facing 3 bats that I had suspicions about; 2 inverted and one lp.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

185g

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 16:31 

so_devo wrote:
foam wrote:
... In fact in 4 years I can only recall facing 3 bats that I had suspicions about; 2 inverted and one lp.

I wonder what made you suspicious about those paddles?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 18:48 
Blockhead
Blockhead

In the case of the inverted rubber a sheet of standard 729 on an all wood blade was making 'the noise', being played from mid to long distance and creating crazy spin and speed. In addition the rubber were oversized and a bit curly at the edges! In the case of the lp the reversal was insane, both against top and chop, plus the player was incredibly reluctant to show his bat before the game.

185g

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 13:41 

so_devo, thanks. Those would be good evidences, of course.

But don't you think there could be broader use of speed-glue and tuning than what you could obviously notice? This, I think, may be more common among players of certain age, who reached maturity when the speed-glue craze. They may be using the glue and tuners only mildly, enough to have an effect, but not too much to make it too evident. Could this be a possible scenario?

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 19:03 
Blockhead
Blockhead

caballero wrote:
so_devo, thanks. Those would be good evidences, of course.

But don't you think there could be broader use of speed-glue and tuning than what you could obviously notice? This, I think, may be more common among players of certain age, who reached maturity when the speed-glue craze. They may be using the glue and tuners only mildly, enough to have an effect, but not too much to make it too evident. Could this be a possible scenario?

Possible of course, but I just don't believe it. The bats are too neatly made up and I believe that most players cannot be bothered. We have got used to better performing (but expensive) rubbers, and they are close enough. On the lp front, I know the time and expense that people I play with have gone to, to find legal alternatives.

One thing I do note in my area is that very few of the better players use tacky rubber. if they did then maybe more of the factory tuned variants would be out there, and the perception would be different.

185g

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2012, 11:15 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I remember playing a guy using LP. Upper half of his LP has sponge and lower half has no sponge. Crazy. No need for RAE system to detect it though.