OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 17:02 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I'm slowly working my way through editing down the matches I filmed from the GB vs Australia international - shot in AVCHD format means either a very powerful computer to edit in it's native format (which I don't have) or a long time spent converting the footage to different formats which I can then edit in - so it will be a while before they are all done.

All the mens and womens matches were filmed except for the doubles when I needed a break, had to recharge some batteries and the viewing angle from the TV gantry I was using would have meant you saw mainly bodies blocking the ball.

This is the first men's match on the night. Liam Pitchford vs William Henzell.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 17:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
A very good recording! :up: :up: :up: Did you have to add the scores at the top right as well? I can well imagine the editing would have taken hours!

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 17:55 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

haggisv wrote:
A very good recording! :up: :up: :up: Did you have to add the scores at the top right as well? I can well imagine the editing would have taken hours!

Yes - if you mean top left :P . Unfortunately the camera doesn't do that for me :lol: . Normally I layer different titles over each other, so it's one layer for the background on the scoreboard, another layer is the dot for who is serving, another layer is the game score, another layer is the match score, another layer the players names etc etc. However, each "layer" means more processing and computer power needed and my laptop can't cope when I'm doing this with the native AVCHD footage which is what the match was originally filmed in - by the way I borrowed my brothers sony cybershot camera (can't remember the model number) for this, which isn't a camcorder but can record video footage. Given I was at least 50 feet away from the table and up on the tv gantry I was very pleased with what this camera recorded for me.

For this video itself I have to convert the AVCHD footage to youtube format first (which is a compressed and smaller frame size format - 1280 by 720 as opposed to the native AVCHD footage which was 1920 by 1080 50fps) as my laptop struggles to even play back video in AVCHD format let alone let me edit it. Converting that AVCHD footage for this match into something I can just about edit in has to be done over night as this match alone would have taken about 5 hours to convert to footage I can edit. I lose quality converting the video first (editing should really be done in the native format) but as the final source is YouTube and not DVD it's not a big issue for me. For the titles I used "one complete title" ie I put all the information on one title using "one line of video" layerd over the video footage of the match - except for the serving dot and let calls text which had their own separate titles. This keeps the number of editing video layers to a bear minimum. The scoring title for the first point is then copied and pasted for the second one and I then go into the second copied title and change it to what I want, that is then copied to the next point and changed again. Very laborious, very time consuming, very easy to make a mistake (which I often do) and much slower than having separate layers for each element in the score board. There are easier ways to do all this but again, I have to match how I edit to my computer resources.

As long as the scoreboard helps people follow the game when they watch the video, it's worth it.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 21:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The score in the top left looks great and very professional! I even noticed a 'let' flashing up when a let serve was played... very impressive!!!

Thank you for putting this together Debater.... an awesome effort! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 21:36 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Thanks for going to all the trouble Debater - great job! Pickford appears to have both grown and improved since last I saw him. Looks like he has a lot more power now.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 22:16 
Stir Crazy

You really have done a superb job here, debater. In many respects it shames some of the "professional" videos we see. Your layout is so clean and clear - great for distraction free viewing. From time to time there's debate about the best camera position - I think yours is as good as it gets. Well done.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 00:36 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

haggisv wrote:
The score in the top left looks great and very professional! I even noticed a 'let' flashing up when a let serve was played... very impressive!!!

The lets I included as an experiment for two reasons.
Firstly because when the ball clips the net the next bounce often shows how much spin is actually being put on the ball by the players. Henzell clips the net a few times and usually the ball bounces back alongside the net and to the right which is good demonstration of just how much back and side spin he puts on the ball - often if it's a "proper" serve the opponent will read the spin and negate it so it's not obvious how much or what type of spin the server is putting on the ball. When I was watching Henzell practice I didn't realise just how much spin he does put on the ball - these lets demonstrate it better.
And secondly because it gives more of a feel for the flow of the game - I think there were 2 or 3 net serves in a row at the end of a game which shows just how tight Henzell was trying to keep the ball to the net at a crucial part in the game. That takes a lot of confidence in your ability and guts to try and do.
The words were added to the score board just to make it clear to people what had happened.
carbonman wrote:
Thanks for going to all the trouble Debater - great job! Pickford appears to have both grown and improved since last I saw him. Looks like he has a lot more power now.

He is still very "wirey". I asked William Henzell about this match afterwards and he said Pitchford's style gave him a lot of trouble. He'd be better able to comment on Pitchfords's game. They are both at the mens world cup in Liverpool in Setptember so they may meet each other again?
Tassie52 wrote:
You really have done a superb job here, debater. In many respects it shames some of the "professional" videos we see. Your layout is so clean and clear - great for distraction free viewing. From time to time there's debate about the best camera position - I think yours is as good as it gets. Well done.

I pay a lot of attention to threads on this forum - especially ones about viewing / camera angles. It's feed back from those types of discussions which I match with my own experiences of filming in the past. This time, when we were laying out the flooring to air and setting the barriers up on the Sunday before the match I tried various camera angles to see which worked best. The venue manager suggested i use the TV gantry as it had it's own power supplies, was quite central and I could keep an eye on both cameras. I wasn't sure beforehand they'd let me up there or what the access was like. It's not the best viewing angle but I wasn't going to leave my cameras 50 yards apart and run between them to check on storage space, batteries and viewing angle. If you notice in the Henzell match, I zoomed in a bit after the first two points because neither player backed far away from the table. With the women's matches it was different especially Joanna Parker who defends further away from the table -I had to zoom out a bit more for when she was at "my end" of the table to keep her in view and then change the camera angle when she switched ends or you'd have just got her feet in view :lol: . I don't think TV producers necessarily understand the tactics or styles of the game and tend to go for the traditional directly behind the players view and leave it static regardless of who's the player rather than adapt it for the styles of the different players. Unfortrunately the TV gantry didn't exten the whole length of the hall so for the women the angle of the camera is from the left hand side (men was right hand side). As all the women were right handed, they tended to stand in the left corner more (to favour their forehand) which means the table view is blocked out more. I traded logistics and safety/security of my equipment for a loss of viewing angle. The next match I'll post will be Na Liu vs Jian Fang Lay.

The layout was clean and clear partly because the white ball shows up very well against the red floor background and being high up with the cameras, the lighting at the venue helps rather than hinders what I filmed. We also didn't have any sponsorship "issues" to worry about as it was "our" event. That's one of the nicest comments too. If you find the video clear and unobtrusive it means you're watching the table tennis and that's the point of the videos.

Thanks for the constructive feedback everyone - I do listen and take note of what people say for future projects.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 17:02 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Na Liu vs Jian Fang Lay - the first womens match of the night.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 07:10 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

2nd match from the mens international - Paul Drinkhall vs Justin Han

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 07:57 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

2nd match from the womens international - Joanna Parker vs Miao Miao

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2012, 20:30 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Fourth match from the mens international: Paul Drinkhall vs William Henzell. I didn't record the 3rd match which was the doubles. I needed logistically it wasn't possible to get a good enough angle to film.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2012, 21:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks again Debater! These really are great videos! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 01:35 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Debater wrote:
I didn't record the 3rd match which was the doubles. I needed logistically it wasn't possible to get a good enough angle to film.

Interesting you say that about angles as I was thinking to myself just yesterday about how your videos are so much better than those done by the alleged "experts" who do the behind the back angle. Your videos have some dimension to them. Very nice work.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 07:12 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

mynamenotbob wrote:
Debater wrote:
I didn't record the 3rd match which was the doubles. I needed logistically it wasn't possible to get a good enough angle to film.

Interesting you say that about angles as I was thinking to myself just yesterday about how your videos are so much better than those done by the alleged "experts" who do the behind the back angle. Your videos have some dimension to them. Very nice work.

Thank you - and haggisv too.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 11:24 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Kelly Sibley vs Jian Fang Lay

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next