OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 04:13 

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried the Bluefire M3? And whether it can be considered for modern defence?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2012, 13:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

To my knowledge it is not generally available quite yet.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 23:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've just had a brief session with this rubber with a friend, who normally uses Calibra (the softest version)

He's used it for a couple of days now... interesting thing is that he hated it the very first hit, but after a session he started to like it and he's playing very well with it. Perhaps it takes a session to wear in?

My impression are that it's fairly fast, although not quite the speed of Calibra. The surface grip does not seem very high, and when you brush it too lightly (graze it like a tacky rubber) it does not grip well. However brush only slightly harder and the spin is very high...I netted quite a few of his serves with the LP since the backspin was so high. :o

Blocking and hitting -> very good and not too sensitive to spin. It does not bottom out like Calibra, which makes it a little harder for smashing compared to calibra (still good though) and better for power looping.

It is strange that loops don't feel as spinny when you hit them, yet when playing against the rubber I had more trouble keeping the ball down, so the spin is definitely high.

I've got a few cut-off to measure the sponge hardness, but have not got around to it yet.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 06:03 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
I've been using M2 and M3 this past week. The top sheet feel is quite strange, but spin seems very high to me. Definitely one notch slower than calibra or the last gen of fast tensors. Control is very high for an offensive rubber. Arc is huge for topspin, and M3 on the forehand side is a real joy to use for looping. You can loop really hard, and the spin brings the ball down better than any other rubber I've used, giving a massive margin for error. Also excellent for serving - best tensor for short spinny serves I've ever seen.

Excellent rubbers. Just give yourself a few sessions to get used to the feel.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 06:26 

Thanks so Much for the very helpful information! Would either of you two say its possible to perform a forehand chop or push? I know its not suitable for defense but im a modern defender. Would you say its good on a flexable blade as opposed to a stiff blade?

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 15:42 

confusedplayer wrote:
Thanks so Much for the very helpful information! Would either of you two say its possible to perform a forehand chop or push? I know its not suitable for defense but im a modern defender. Would you say its good on a flexable blade as opposed to a stiff blade?

I don't see why not!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 19:56 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
confusedplayer wrote:

It's the best tensor I've used for chop / push. It has a great low gear, and it isn't as bouncy as other tensors.

I think it suits harder blades due to the topsheet's overall soft feel, but should be fine on stiff or flexy.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 18:33 
The Unprogrammable Player

Intro: when you read this have in mind that I'm one of those guys who really like soft rubbers :)

So, I have finally got my hands on M3 (2.0mm / black). This is edited version of my review after I've played for 3 weeks and ordered another M3 :)

Rubber / Top sheet
Super soft topsheet, soft and factory tuned sponge. Top sheet seems very soft, it even left ball imprints on the topsheet after hits (there is a possibility that this happened because I haven't pressed the rubber long and strong enough to the blade after gluing, but still.. you get the point how soft it is). To me the top sheet seems very grippy and I want to disagree with haggisv on this matter.
Top sheet grip: M3 > T05FX > Hexer PS / T64

Speed - average.
Update: I was wrong initially thinking that Hexer PS was faster. While Hexer PS seems faster on casual control shots, on full power drives M3 is faster.
Speed: T64 > T05FX > M3 > Hexer PS

Control - Amazing!
For example with Hexer PS I aim at white line with confidence that I will land the shot (with proper footwork and stroke and angle OFC) and there is no way in hell that I can say the same about T05FX or T64, but M3 is great at this. I can send the ball deep through the sides on the white line with no problem at all.
M3 > Hexer PS > T05FX/T64

Spin - Insane!
My holy grail for pushing is/was Spinart and T64 (I have no idea, how T64 does this, since it's top sheet is not very grippy) and right now I feel like I can add M3 to this list as-well. To admit it bluntly: my services sucks hard.. But I feel like I am in control more than usual with M3. Services have definitely more spin on them than ever before (not my imagination, but test results after some games against people who know my game inside out). Spin on loops is bigger than ever also. How do I know this? well because I've never been able to do proper slow spiny loops that opponent would block long with any consistency (I don't like them, I don't feel comfortable with the strokes for that also), but strangely enough with M3 I can do them..
Note: I haven't tried regular T05 and I haven't properly played with super spiny rubbers like DHS Hurricane series (or similar)
M3 > everything I've tried so far

Updated:

Chopping - generates lots and lots underspin and is quite simple to return a no spin ball, but I had to change my strokes a bit. Easiest way to win a point for me is to chop back opponents long service to my backhand. Spin generated is insane. There is almost no chance to loop my chop (exceptions are maybe only top 20 players), ball goes straight to the net or even the table. And believe me I laugh so hard inside, when someone wants to be a hero and tries to loop them :rofl:

Blocking - Good
Blocking feels good, the rubber is not too bouncy/lively to force you into mistakes. Only thing is that (due to grippy top sheet) slow spiny loops irritates more than usual, other than that I have no complaints. It blocks good using either passive or active block strokes.

Looping - deceptive :)
During my training I am always training 2 different strokes: straight arm long strokes & a chicken wing short strokes. This rubber suits them both. I really like the crazy high arch of the ball (arch is better with short strokes). Very easy to add lots of side-spin. What I like the most about this rubber is that it is very easy to manipulate spin and confuse the opponent. You can do either very spiny loop for him to block long or you can do a faster no-spin drive that he blocks to the net. Oh, also my opponents noticed that ball bites the table really well and sometimes just jumps on them too quickly (this was very rare with hexer ps).

Counter looping/driving - Good
The bad:
The only problem I had was (due to grippy top sheet) counter looping slow shorter spiny loops near the table. I've really sent too many of these too long... (This is fixable with training).
Away from the table everything seemed at the same level like with Tenergies. Few problems might arise if your opponent is looping/driving/smashing harder than you do. Then, because sponge is so soft, these shots penetrate the sponge very quickly and if you are not counter driving with the same or bigger effort, the ball don't even make it to the net. In my case this is rare, since I like to swing hard, but it happens..
The good:
Driving (using full force swing) with this rubber is great, ball launches like a rocket. I can clearly feel that on full power swings catapult effect becomes noticeable, while on casual shots M3 feels more linear than lets say Tenergies. For me it was easy to play in all distances.
Arch on counter loops is sick, ball bites the table really well and makes all sorts of problems for opponent.
I am not an attacker and I still can go on par with the top 20 guys when training counter loops :) I've tried slow swing brush counter loops (ball had crazy spin, opponents had a tough time adjusting) as-well as fast, full force counter loops. M3 can do it all !!!
I also liked that it was way easier (compared to tenergies and Hexer PS) to sort of guide/flat hit the ball from distance (similar like gionis does or sometimes chen weixing). It felt very safe and very controllable.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

Last edited by Justas on 10 Dec 2012, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 20:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Great feedback, thanks Justas! :up: :up: :up:

What blade did you test it on please?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 20:50 

haggisv wrote:
Great feedback, thanks Justas! :up: :up: :up:
What blade did you test it on please?

I glued it to one of my Defence II's.
I am gonna play with Def II + M3 + Octopus till M3 dies on me. I really want to know how long it will take till M3 bubbles.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 18:14 

Updated my post on M3. (few posts up from this one)

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 20:28 

One month passed and I'm still in love with M3, I clearly like it more than T05FX. No bubbles yet, spin is also almost as good as new.
I can honestly recommend M3 to anyone who likes soft rubbers, but have in mind that it does not suit the passive game because of very grippy top-sheet.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 21:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

THanks for the update Justas! :up: People often forget to come back and reviews. :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012, 06:32 

Hi Justas,
In the last time I made a test trial with a really slow blade LKT Toxic 3, and put on my forehand a Donic Accuda S2. I really enjoyed it, becuse I had never seen this control before. Toxic blade slowed down the S2, but It was still fast enough to make a point with looping or smash. My problem with S2 is only I can not generate enough underspin to serve, and spin to loop.
As I read your post about M3 I thought that this sheet would be nice for me, but now I am affraid M3 would be even slower a lot than S2.
What do you think about this. Should I try M2 or even M1 to gain noticable grip and not to loose the speed? I do not want to use faster blade because of my backhand.
Thank you in advance.
Pal

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2012, 09:21 

I think that grip between M3, M2 and M1 might be similar and the question lies what kind of sponge you like the most. M3 is the softest and for sure has the highest control. If your swing is fast/strong then M3 should be similar to S2 in speed.