OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 06:50 
Super User

I realise this would be a fair amount of work for whoever was to undertake this task, and for haggisv and the mods to update, but I think it would be really good if there was a topic which explained the technical aspects of rubbers and blades for browsers, who are left clueless by some of the things said on the forum in reviews etc - perhaps also when the poly ball is realeased, a bit about what it behaves the way it does from someone in the know. For example, what hardness of sponge does to the ball/feel for the player/trajectory how length of pips affect speed, spin etc - and this could be done for each section, such as long pips/short pips/inverted/anti-loop, as well as a section describing effects of different types of blades. Furthermore, there could be maybe a section on styles or even just full-arm vs chicken wing loop technique?

Members could also leave their expert comments as replies for mods and admin to just copy and paste into the initial post (which would be the entire thread explained above), with a bit of editing if needs be.

I know it would take a lot of organisation and quite an amount of effort, but it would be really worth it if it ends up being a comprehensive thread informing equipment newbies, such as myself, who are completely lost when it comes to the technical aspects of rubbers. It could also be extremely useful to players looking for new equipment who know their style but don't know what sort of rubber/blade would suit them!

Personally, I believe that it would be very useful for pretty much everyone and a great thread to have in the forum!

Regards, Gin :)

Blade: Joola Flame Fast
FH: Joola Explode Sensitive
BH: Tibhar Grip-S Europe

Change needed dramatically!

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 07:48 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I understand what you want, but I would think it's in the too hard basket, Reviews are just someones perspective and in general on one type of blade, but we all gain some information if we read, ask questions so we try to understand different peoples methods, reasons and preferences, There is some technical stuff available by manufacturer's and is usually in reference to their own products,
Most people on the forum are just Enthusiasts like you and me and could not spend the time to gather such information but if look in the review section and look at the rubber hardness table but even then no two people will agree and everything

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 07:58 
Super User

Yeah, I see what you mean rodderz, although I think you might have misunderstood my proposal slightly. It would be more of an explantion thread than a review topic and, although it's possible to learn about the very technical aspects of rubbers and blades etc from things such as reviews, it would take hours of research, trawling through them to grasp a really good understanding of how everything works. Whereas with this thread, it would be extremely easy just to see how all the ins and outs of equipment - the bits most people never really explore - work and affect how we play the game, when using whichever type of rubber it may be: long, medium or short pips, anti-loop or inverted :) :rofl:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 08:00 
Super User

rodderz wrote:
but I would think it's in the too hard basket

Yeah it would take a fair bit of setting up, but once it got going, I think it would sort of run itself with a little nudge from the mods :D

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 08:25 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

8DTRGinrayz wrote:
Yeah, I see what you mean rodderz, although I think you might have misunderstood my proposal slightly. It would be more of an explantion thread than a review topic and, although it's possible to learn about the very technical aspects of rubbers and blades etc from things such as reviews, it would take hours of research, trawling through them to grasp a really good understanding of how everything works. Whereas with this thread, it would be extremely easy just to see how all the ins and outs of equipment - the bits most people never really explore - work and affect how we play the game, when using whichever type of rubber it may be: long, medium or short pips, anti-loop or inverted :) :rofl:

I see , would a dedicated template work or help?

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 08:32 
Super User

rodderz wrote:
8DTRGinrayz wrote:

I see , would a dedicated template work or help?

What kind of template do you mean? As in one with all the subheadings already in place kind of thing?

It sounds like it work be very helpful and work a treat :D

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 18:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Although I do like your idea, I think it would take quite a lot of effort. Also there are many aspects where it's a matter of opinion of what's wrong and what right, so a discussion of the topic is usually the best that can be done.

Perhaps just creating topics on very specific topics, and clearly marked as technical aspect (perhaps stickied) is an option?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 19:32 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Although I do like your idea, I think it would take quite a lot of effort. Also there are many aspects where it's a matter of opinion of what's wrong and what right, so a discussion of the topic is usually the best that can be done.

Yeah it would take a fair amount of effort & I see what you mean - it would probably work better as a discussion, come to think of it.

haggisv wrote:
Perhaps just creating topics on very specific topics, and clearly marked as technical aspect (perhaps stickied) is an option?

If I have understood you correctly, that sounds like a very good idea indeed! :up: Do you mean to have stickied topics within long, short, medium pips, anti-loop forums etc that explain the effects of things, as discussed earlier, like sponge hardness etc as the technical aspects?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 19:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes that's right... although it's still going to take quite some effort, and someone will have to volunteer to do it :( :lol: , but it would indeed be very useful! :up: I think the further we can break it down into smaller topics, the more likely someone will put up their hand to write it.

BTW For long pimples, some of these aspect are already well summarised on the OOK PIPS site, which unfortunately is not finished: http://www.pipfacts.info

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 20:32 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Yes that's right... although it's still going to take quite some effort, and someone will have to volunteer to do it :( :lol: , but it would indeed be very useful! :up: I think the further we can break it down into smaller topics, the more likely someone will put up their hand to write it.

BTW For long pimples, some of these aspect are already well summarised on the OOK PIPS site, which unfortunately is not finished: http://www.pipfacts.info

Yeah it would be less taxing on whoever offered to take it up, doing it in short bursts whilst it would only take the same amount if time as doing it all at once. Also, if some of it is already explained in that link there, it would reduce the workload quite a bit as long pips would be a rather heavy topic - all that would be needed would be to copy in the link :D

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 21:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I wrote this table tennis rubber guide some time ago for the shop, which just covers the basics and some of the terminology used. It might be a little too thin on details as it's more meant for people that know very little about equipment, but it's probably a good start.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 22:51 
Super User

Looks like a quality piece of text and, again - information from that could be easily extrapolated or links could be put into threads. Looks like we have ourselves a basis for comprehensive discussions/threads - all we need is someone with the knowledge who's willing :rock: :)