OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Do we want a TT Laws, Changes and Interpretation Section?
Yes 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Yes, but with some changes 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
No, we have enough sections already 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, other reason 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 09:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
One of our members suggested have create a section like this and I quite like the idea. We would use it for discussing topics like "is this shot legal", "how do we interpret this rule", proposed changes to rules, etc.

It would be a good place for me to place a copy of the latest rules in a thread stickied at the top as well, so that we don't always have to go the ITTF site to find them.

Do you like the idea?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 09:47 

As long as it is understood that this is NOT an ittf bashing thread. All posts breaking this rule should be deleted, other than that...why not?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 10:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
ebark63 wrote:
As long as it is understood that this is NOT an ittf bashing thread. All posts breaking this rule should be deleted, other than that...why not?

Yes agree, we certainly don't want to turn it into 'bashing the ITTF section', although it would seem the most logical section to discuss new proposed changes by the ITTF, so there will no doubt be some objections, but these discussions will need to be contained within those threads. I'll try and make this clear at the top of the section.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 14:43 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
This should help our interpretation of the TT rules when discussion is unclear & has a divided opinion. :^) :^) A place of referral sounds like a great idea, hopefully this should help to clear up controversy :up:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 20:21 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
haggisv wrote:
One of our members suggested have create a section like this and I quite like the idea. We would use it for discussing topics like "is this shot legal", "how do we interpret this rule", proposed changes to rules, etc.

It would be a good place for me to place a copy of the latest rules in a thread stickied at the top as well, so that we don't always have to go the ITTF site to find them.

Do you like the idea?

You seem to be suggesting a section which tries to:
1. determine what the actual answer to a "law" question is
2. canvas opinons about proposed changes to rules

Regarding 1:

With a TT Laws and interpretation section I don't think there can be any room for "how we interpret this rule". If you go down that route how will anyone agree which opinion is right when opinions differ. If you are being as specific as referencing laws, there can be no opinion only fact when determing the answer. Worst case scenario, player A is playing a match with friends, and asks "is this shot legal" in this proposed section:
- he comes to this proposed section
- describes what happens
- asks if what happened is legal
- mass opinion / or those with most persuasive argument / or loudest voice says legal
- goes back to friends and says it was legal - all friends apply this ruling
- unfortunately, mass opinon / or those with most persuasive argument / or loudest voice is actually wrong
- forum contributes to spreading incorrect information
- not good.

If you're having a section which clearly has the aim of providing a right or wrong answer to a question about laws of table tennis the answers need to be given at least by a "qualified umpire" or at least the final decision on what is "legal or not" needs to be given by someone who is an "expert" in that field (hence reference to qualified umpire). If you're purley relying on "general opinon" or "how we interpret it" that's exactly what you'll end up with - opinons and interpretations with no clear cut answer.

There are qualified umpires on this forum. I would support a section where questions were asked about "laws of the game and how they apply to certain situations" if the deciding answer was provided by one of our forum members who was a qualified umpire. There can still be discussion, but a definitive yes or no answer is provided by someone qualified to do that. The answer could then be added to the first post in the thread which asked the question. A type of "ask the umpire" section.

Regarding 2:

I thought we already had a section which could be used for this. ITTF and Table Tennis Associations. If that section isn't to discuss the merits and opinions about decisions made by the ITTF, or proposed rule and law changes and not sure what purpose it serves anymore.

I also don't think you will be able to remove the ITTF "bashing" side of a discussion because what one person considers to be "bashing" others may consider to be "evidence to support their opinion". Purley as an example, and not to rehash the debate, if a forum member thinks the introduction fo the polly ball is wrong because there has been no world wide announcement of the ban of celluloid production - and that argument was used to support the introduction of the plastic ball by the ITTF - ie the person considers mis information by the ITTF to undermine the ITTF's reason for introducing the ball, is that ITTF bashing or evidence to support the persons belief that there is no need for a plastic ball?

It's a very thin line you are chosing to walk and good luck at avoiding "censorship" challenges with the "description" of what is an isn't to be allowed :devil:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 03:05 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I have not said anything till now. Debater said it for me. I dont usually express things as well as he does. Right from the git go, I did not like this idea. We have experts on here. If they can not settle something, send the question to the ITTF. Throw a legal question to the open forum? Any surprize about what you will get? :punch:
Talk about rule changes but no bashing? :rofl:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 04:14 

I agree with debater and hookshot, think it will create more problems for our forum.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!