OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re-Impact Perfect Barath
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013, 22:57 
Super User

Achim sent me this blade and I just have tested it yesterday. I left the Balsa world in December 2010 and played Balsa blades only for test purposes. So my fine tuning for the Balsa specific catapult is lacking fidelity. However:

This blade is amazing !

I tried it with Desperado/OX and unfortunately with a Marder/2mm. The latter was chosen due to the terrifying thickness of the blade and speed of ball tipping in my cellar. However the rubber is too lame.

Nevertheless playing this blade was a real pleasure:

+ very very much spin on the FH (Anegre outer veneer)
+ very much spin on the BH (Sen outer veneer)
+ a superb control even at high speed on both BH and FH
+ with a relaxed wrist it was easy to produce short stopp balls with nasty placement for the opponent even upon heavy smash spins
+ a nice and easy to perform backspin defence far from the table
+ extremely powerful but still controled attacks with the LPs
+ the ball jumps off the table with a very low arc

- if the wrist gets stiff the balls went up high or perforated the wall thus stress sensitivity !
- the disturbing effect of the LPs is lowered due to the fact that the ball does not stopp and fall down but continues to move towards the opponent

It would be interesting to test the blade with the slower Blitzschlag and a faster inverted rubber.

Summary: an absolute "must have" for each lover of Balsa ! A huge step forward in performance*.

* even compared to the Dream Perfect 995-2-RZ-4-RZ which I tested before

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2013, 03:27 
Super User

Blade: Re-impact Tachi
FH: Palio Thor's
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
Nice review. Thanks Cogito.

Blade: Re-Impact Tachi. BH: Grass DTecS (ox, new version) FH: Palio Thor's max

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2013, 07:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow that does sound amazing! Thanks for the review cogito! :up: Even the Marder with a thinner sponge may have worked better.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2013, 20:54 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Even the Marder with a thinner sponge may have worked better.

I doubt it. In Germany we say "You have to throw a bread in addition so that the balls doesn't die of hunger."

It is tempting to try this blade with a Tenergy 05 / 1.7mm. However Butterfly .... :n: .

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 18:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have used the Barath 224 for a week now, practising and for matchplay. In my opinion it is the best Re Impact blade ever. Achim seems to have succeeded in maximizing the properties of his special Balsa in this blade, getting rid of most of its disadvantages. Very special!

I used the Barath with several different rubbers and it seems to me that it works best with a classic european type of rubber in 1.5 mm (I ended up using a Tibhar Varispin, which has a 37-38 degree sponge, red, 1.5 mm, and found it pretty much ideal). Thicker sponge results in a bit more spin, but a lot less control. Harder sponge takes away a lot of the typical Balsa feeling. Thinner sponge increases the risk of the ball bottoming out when you don't want it to.
The general speed of the blade with the Varispin in 1.5 was about All- to All+; in the usual 1-10 scale it would be around 7; but of course a lot faster with flat hits. It also played quite well with Chinese rubbers intended for the european way of play, like LKT Pro XT (33-35 degree), the 37 degree version of Globe 999, and Friendship Super FX Supersoft (35-37 degree).
On the backhand I tried several LPs, ending up with Friendship 837 (black, OX) - the superb control of the blade makes this otherwise tricky LP pretty easy to handle and very dangerous.
The way the Barath works is that its soft very thick balsa kind of ads 1 mm sponge to any rubber used on it - good sponge too. Using a 1.5 mm sponge it feels like using max thick sponge. As the blade is only 60 grams, it can be moved around very very fast, so you are able to increase the speed of your looping strokes. Combined with the sponge-adding effect of the blade, this allows putting enormous amounts of topspin on the ball (at least pretty close to the table - I'll come to that later). So I reckon most amateur players would increase their level of play with it. There are other blades on the market designed for the same purpose (like Palio Cat, several Tibhar blades, galaxy T9, etc.), but they lack the feel and the absolute control of the Barath.
Of course you'll have 1 mm sponge underneath your OX LP as well, this way. That is beneficial in attacking close to the table and chopping away from it; it does limit your blocking strokes though - passive blocking of fast balls is out, and chop-blocking close to the table you have to take good care to get the angle of the blade right or the ball will speed away out of control.

Looping with inverted is special in more than one way with the Barath. When I got incoming topspin which wasn't so fast or heavy that I needed to back off to mid-distance (this is important, by the way; I'll come back to it) I could close the blade and contact the ball around the top of the bounce, swing fast, and produce very heavy topspin with good speed. When I played against mid-level opponents, they had great difficulty in handling the ball, often returning it too high or long. I also played against former top-level players (over 55 like myself, taking it a bit easier in their old age :whew: ) and they didn't struggle as much, and soon got used to it, so I had no special advantage against them with this set-up.
Looping against incoming backspin requires opening the blade of course, and as long as I grazed the ball upwards, again I got great topspin and good speed; when I made the stroke more aggressive, more forward, so the ball penetrated the sponge more, the balsa kicked in and the ball got less spin and more speed - it would still curve to the table nicely enough, though, but far flatter and it would land very deep, so I had to take some care not to overhit. Playing against a former top-defender, getting very heavy backspin and very low bouncing balls, I had to put in more forward speed as these balls just drop down dead, and with this it was difficult to avoid that the balsa kicked in too much, so I had the choice between risking a (too) long return or instead dropping the ball short - the latter was much safer, as the combination doesn't take on much spin, but made my play less effective/dangerous as well.
Playing against very good opponents I had to back off frequently; this is normal when rallies are longer and speed and spin increase to very high levels - you just have to loop to loop from mid-distance. However, with the Barath I found it difficult to loop effectively at mid-distance. Very high levels of topspin make the ball curve down fast, so you take them relatively low at mid-distance and have to pull them up, at the same time give them great speed; with a conventional blade I can close it (has to be done, or the ball will go high as the incoming topspin is so strong) and still do this; not with the Barath - when I closed it, the speed I produced was insufficient, and when I opened it the spin I produced was insufficient. So I decided to defend in these cases, and chop. Still, this only happens against very good opponents; normally I play against medium level opponents, say the average amateur, and then incoming topspin is much less, so the need to back off isn't there much, and when I do go to mid-distance the balls don't drop down that much so I don't have to pull them up that much either, and looping to loops is less ineffective. But this may well be a reason for higher/top-level players to avoid balsa blades. Not for me, luckily :lol: .

Counter-driving it is easy to use the catapult of the balsa and produce very fast balls with relatively low spin. Flat-hitting this is even easier. Medium level opponents had great difficulty in reading the spin on these drives and hits, expecting significant topspin due to the great speed, and getting much less, so they tended to return into the net. In fact, using the Barath with the Varispin it really was like I had the choice to play with inverted or short pimples at will, confusing the enemy.
Blocking, the combination takes on much less spin than with ordinary set-ups, so it is easy to be very precise with it. It is also easy to activate the catapult of the balsa by blocking flatter and have the ball penetrate the sponge and touch wood; you can almost flat hit this way with a stroke that looks like a block but produces deceptively fast balls with very little spin.

Pushing with inverted is easy because the set-up takes on so little spin. But pushing fast you can produce very heavy backspin. Chopping away from the table it is the same. It is also easy to vary deceptively if you are really far away from the table, for when you allow the ball to touch the wood (by moving your hand a bit forward into the path of the ball) you will produce little backspin, but the ball will still be very low. Closer to the table this is risky because of the speed the ball will get (from the balsa): you may overshoot the table.

Pressing the ball back away from the table (a kind of blocking-at-a-distance, a favourite stroke with defenders like Gionis) you have to make good contact or the ball will be too slow. The ball will also be quite dead.

Using the LP on the backhand away from the table is very safe and produces low balls with very heavy backspin. The closer you are to the table, the better it is not to defend, though, but to block actively or counter. For unaided reversal is low and if you have to help the ball it is hard to leave the balsa out of it. The best way, for me, was to chop-block at mid-distance using only the wrist (not much arm movement) and to counter close to the table. This was very safe: accurate placement, good backspin on defensive strokes, some reversal on drives and active blocks, enough to be effective at mid-level play (not enough to get winners against high-level opponents).
Pushing aggressively against backspin I got very nice reversal and a fast dipping ball.

I think this is a very good blade for most amateurs playing at medium level, that is, for about 70% of all players, and it will raise their level of play. It will work for defence away from the table, but be most effective close to the table where you are able to use best the lack of weight to decrease your reaction-time and increase your topspin. For me personally a blade like this is ideal - for the first time in a year plagued by problems with my back I had no pain during matchplay and no problems later on :party: .

Last edited by Kees on 22 Feb 2013, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 19:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks Kees, great review, that does sound very good! :up: :up: I would guess that it take a while to work out exactly what is the most effective stroke for each situation, but once you do you it becomes very effective.
The lack of spin reversal may mean it probably won't suit my own game, although I would probably chop more which it seems to do very well.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2013, 19:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
The lack of spin reversal may mean it probably won't suit my own game, although I would probably chop more which it seems to do very well.

I haven't tried it with a real low-friction LP, so I can't really say how much unaided reversal the Barath would make when used with e.g. a Tibhar Grass Dtecs in OX. I would guess you would have problems blocking entirely passively with, as the catapult of the balsa would kick in and Dtecs isn't slow to begin with. Chop-blocking would work if the blade was held at the correct angle. I tried it with a Xiying 979 OX, which is slower and much less grippy than Friendship 837, at close range and it produced great backspin with the help of a little wrist. Used for hitting it produced unaided reversal, but nothing like I've seen coming off a Dtecs used on other blades. Perhaps you should give the blade a try using Dtecs... I am also very curious how it would behave when used with your 999 turbo inverted.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 20:49 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Wow, thank you to both Cogito & Kees for you very concise reviews on this blade. :clap: :clap:
I'm unashamedly a Re - Impact Perfect tragic :up: :up: I wonder if you could post some pictures please? 8) 8)

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 00:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Here are some:

Attachments:
SAM_1301.JPG
SAM_1301.JPG [ 54.95 KiB | Viewed 7676 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 00:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

next one

Attachments:
SAM_1302.JPG
SAM_1302.JPG [ 53.63 KiB | Viewed 7676 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 00:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

and the next one

Attachments:
SAM_1303.JPG
SAM_1303.JPG [ 58.49 KiB | Viewed 7659 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 00:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

and last one, of the handle; where the edge of the blades seems rough, I removed the tape so you would be able to see the plies, and as the tape is very soft and foamy bits of it stuck - that's what you see.

Attachments:
SAM_1304.JPG
SAM_1304.JPG [ 198.47 KiB | Viewed 7656 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 11:42 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Thank you Kees for the photos :up: The handle is interesting, does it twiddle easily?

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2013, 23:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Gollum wrote:
Thank you Kees for the photos :up: The handle is interesting, does it twiddle easily?
No. I don't use it for that; doesn't work.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 17:39 
Manufacturer: RE-IMPACT

Location: Lembruch Dumber lake, Diepholz, Lower Saxony, Germany
Das Barath 224 / 422 hat jetzt auch eine druckvolle Profifassung, wenn man das Holz vornehmlich nur in der 2. Spielebene spielt. Die Profifassung läßt ein druckvolles und schnelles Tospinspiel aus der Halbdistanz zu. >Man sollte dieses sollte daher das Barath 224 / 422 mit sehr weichen Schwämmen spielen, die ein Härtegradpotienzial von 32 - 42 ° haben; die Spielbeläge müssen auf maximal 1,8 mm Belagsdicke zurückgenommen werden; optimal sind so gar nur 1,5 mm.

your recommendation. mailto://[email protected]/ http://www.re-impact.de/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next