OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Should you give away a point when leading 10-0?
Yes definitely 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
No certainly not 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Depends on the opponent or the situation 72%  72%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 39
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 09:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
We've had some good debates on whether or not you should give a point away when you're leading 10-0.

Some feel you should try to do this, to save the opponents from embarresment, while others feel the opponent might be insulted to receive a 'pity point'. Some feel it should only be given again lower ranked players.

What do you think? Would you give away a point at 10-0?

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 09:33 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

I did this once against a fill-in player who was obviously out of his league. The whole match seemed to be a nightmare for him and I didn't want to discourage him from joining the club. When the score line was 10-0 and he served to me I just hit the ball to the side of the table. Admittedly, he didn't know what had just happened and I explained to him that I didn't want an 11-0 victory against him, especially as it was being recorded on 'official' paper. He laughed, but I do suspect he really didn't want my charity.

I spoke with him after the match and told him that we were a very friendly club and that he should consider starting in a slightly lower grade and build up from there. Never saw the guy again. :(

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 10:42 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I think it depends on the situation. A top priority is that you don't want to humiliate people and potentially put them off the game. This is why against juniors, new-comers, beginners, strangers etc. you should always (surreptitiously) give them a point or two. With seasoned players however winning or losing 11-0 should be fine. Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, if you lose 11-0 you are honour-bound to drop your dacks when walking to the other end after the game. This adds some comic relief to the situation.

The other week in Croydon A Grade (a very strong comp) one of the players lost 11-0. In his review of the round Jeff D wrote:

"Also a little disappointing in this match when one of the players lost a game 0-11 and refused to do the pants down walk!"

( http://www.facebook.com/groups/52688315 ... p_activity )

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 13:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Nearly all of the time I would give away a point, try to make it not look too obvious, but I wouldn't say that this rises to an "unwritten rule" in TT. I know a lot of people who wouldn't do it and that's fine too.

I would of course try hard to get something like a 10-2 lead in the next game too if I can.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 17:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
It all depends on who you are playing and how they will take 11-0 versus 11-1 when they know they haven't earned the point, and also what kind of person they are (whether they are a good sport or a bad sport - if this is known), whether they will be embarrassed by 11-0 (and whether they deserve to be or not), and how seasoned in the game they are. If I get to 10-0 against someone I'm usually trying to work out which way to go, but generally let lady luck decide ie. Play the point and go for a really risky shot which if it comes off they get 11-0, if it doesn't they get 1 or more points. If they screw up the point before I get to, then be it on their head :lol:

I do find it amazing how often when I have been in the 9-0 or 10-0 territory though that when a player gets a point they so often end up getting 2 or 3.

I did 11-0 a player a couple of weeks ago, and I reckon it was the 4th or 5th time in competition its happened from quite a few more potentials where I have gone the risky screw-up option. This one I served with the intention of going the big risk shot for my third ball, but my opponent sent my return long. |( :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 19:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I remember being 10-0 down in a game, and my opponent made a rather obvious mistake... I appreciated this a lot and think more highly of this person.

If you think about it, the only reason the opponent would give you the point is for your benefit not their own, so I think the gesture should always be appreciated even if it seemed like it was done out of pity.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 21:42 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I have won an end 11-0, but lost the match, which illustrates to me why I would never give a point to a 'good' player. Juniors - well behaved ones anyway - and where there is a gulf in standard I would try to give the point.

I would not appreciate being given a point, but wouldn't get upset about it as after all, intentions are good.

185g

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 21:51 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I'm I'm up 8-0 and the opponent is clearly not at my level, I will generally give the point away then, rather than wait to 10-0. At 10-0, to me, it's just too obvious. I find it more embarrassing to get a "free" point at 10-0 than just losing 11-0, for someone to give me a point because I'm not good enough to get one on my own is more embarrassing. so I figure if I give a point at 8-0, it's not so obvious. Now, if the opponent is at my level and I'm just on a serious roll, I won't give them a free point, because I don't want them to find their confidence and groove.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013, 00:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

so_devo wrote:
I have won an end 11-0, but lost the match, which illustrates to me why I would never give a point to a 'good' player. Juniors - well behaved ones anyway - and where there is a gulf in standard I would try to give the point.

I would not appreciate being given a point, but wouldn't get upset about it as after all, intentions are good.

I beat an opponent 11-0 being 2-0 down in a best of 7 match a couple of years ago. The opponent beat me 4-1. At 10-0 up, I was not about to deliberately hand over a point. The guy was good enough to come back from 10-1 down :lol:

With someone obviously weaker by a long way though, I agree with dwruck. Handing a point over at 8-0 is fine. I won a match 3-0 against a guy who was rated much higher than me or anyone I ever beat at a tourney in my last Vets tourney. In the 3rd set I beat him 11-1 after being 1-1. So glad this wasn't an issue! ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013, 00:46 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
I'm I'm up 8-0 and the opponent is clearly not at my level, I will generally give the point away then, rather than wait to 10-0. At 10-0, to me, it's just too obvious. I find it more embarrassing to get a "free" point at 10-0 than just losing 11-0, for someone to give me a point because I'm not good enough to get one on my own is more embarrassing. so I figure if I give a point at 8-0, it's not so obvious. Now, if the opponent is at my level and I'm just on a serious roll, I won't give them a free point, because I don't want them to find their confidence and groove.

This is the best point. If you are the type that believes in giving a charity point, do it when you are up 8-0 vs 10-0.

Overall, I find the notion of giving away pity points even more insulting than being beat 11-0.

I've lost 11-0 before in a seeding tournament. I lived. ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't have felt any better had I lost 10-1.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2013, 01:47 
Chop, Rock, & Roll

At a training match? probably.
If it is a competition match, it's not my style to give up points. Did that on a sub-21 national championship match long ago, and don't regret it, they were top ranked at their region (we wasn't). People don't give away 10-0 points against me as they know I will keep fighting back, risky as hell :devil:

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 13:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Certainly against a tenacious opponent giving away a "grace point" can be like lighting the fire of the stake you are tied to. The pressure you feel from losing a second point versus the momentum they can gain can take the rug from under you. I think the fact that you gave a point to the opponent who is now gaining ground back on you as they reach 3, then 4, then 5 tends to take your focus away from the challenge at hand...to gain the 11th point. Had you fought for that point from 10-0 and the score reached 10-3 you would still feel in control, more so than if you are regretting having given them the start they needed. Its amazing sometimes how a good lead can be lost when you mentally succumb to pressure put on by an opponent who sniffs a chance. Better to extinguish that chance as soon as possible and not see how far it flourished. Of course this is not talking about the situation where the opponent is far weaker....only about the situation where you have put together a stream of great and/or chance points to get out to a lead like 10-0.

Oh and I think there is a difference between "grace point" and "pity point". Its in the respect with which its given, and taken. If you look on it as a pity point from either end, then there is no respect in the act, which says something about the person thinking that way.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 14:44 

I always spot a point to a player if I'm up 10-0. I don't care if they are a higher ranked player or a junior...
I quite enjoy pretending to go for a big swing and purposely clean miss the ball by 12 inches or more... and then give them a big grin! lol :rofl:
I've never known anyone not to smile back and enjoy the humour of the moment. The sad thing is when it's their serve and they muff it!! :o :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 15:21 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I voted depends.

In a tournament or league play, there is seldom such a mismatch. In practice matches, I will mostly do it, except if the opponent is trying to be obnoxious or gives every excuse under the sun (except the obvious one, ie the guy at the other end (moi) is much better) for being down.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2013, 15:32 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

I tend to give the point away at 8 or 9-0. Yes, I know they can come back from that point. But my ability gets me through. I've had somebody come back to about 7 before, but never lost a set from that point.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"