OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Penhold Chopping
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 11:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Other than the brief glimpse of the 'magic chopper" is anyone aware of any other videos of penhold choppers readily available?
tOD

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Penhold Chopping
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 13:51 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

There are a few clips of the magic chopper Chang Xilin on YouTube where he plays exhibition matches against Li fujung and I think Chou lansun. Have a search around and try using his name in Chinese characters.

There was a penhold chopper called Wang chun who played in the Chinese team in the 77 worlds. He appeared to have a brief career and I have never seen a clip of him. I have some vague recollection that he may be a coach somewhere.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 15:03 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I found them...

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 16:30 
Super User

My friend is penhold chopper, he can chop on his fh but not on his backahd :D

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 05:39 
Super User

Stumbled across this today. A lot of chopping being demonstrated at the 9:48 mark and on.

I've been messing around with Jpen chopping a little at my club. Chopping with the short pips vs inverted on my cpen is certainly a lot easier to keep the ball low.

None the less, if you watch the video, I'm sure you can imagine how you can get some nasty side spin along with your chop just by dipping the head of the blade towards the floor in your swing.

I stumbled upon this practicing with a club mate. Essentially if you can do a pendulum serve with a lot of side and some chop, it's the same thing. You just obviously send it over the net vs bouncing it on your side first. Try it out. It's fun and can give people fits.

Very easy to do with the forehand (in fact I'd argue the side spin chop on the forehand side is easier with penhold vs shakehand). Backhand IMO isn't that bad to do either. Naturally you don't have the same reach.

(Same concept Alios & Jeff demonstrate here) Just do the same with penhold)

I wouldn't use it as my main setup playing pips. Prefer to attack. But if I were to get pushed off the table (where I don't want to be) or if I'm getting flat out beat against a particular style of player and I need to switch strategies, I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 00:56 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

carbonman wrote:
I found them...

Interesting! About 1:38 he seems to change grips. His index finger moves behind the blade, now he's gripping the blade (rather than the handle) between thumb and index finger. He's also got the other three fingers splayed on the back of the blade (like a Japanese penhold player) throughout the video. I've been watching closely to see if he uses that index-finger-behind-blade grip again but I can't see that he does.

I remember seeing a diagram of different grips penhold players use and the index-finger-behind-blade one was labelled "chopping".

The dinner crowd looks too "bourgeois" for the China of the 1970s or even 80s - when was this video taken? The outfits the players are wearing are reminiscent of the regulation clothes of that time.. The table looks like an antique, too, note no doubles line. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2014, 22:56 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Interesting! About 1:38 he seems to change grips. His index finger moves behind the blade, now he's gripping the blade (rather than the handle) between thumb and index finger. He's also got the other three fingers splayed on the back of the blade (like a Japanese penhold player) throughout the video. I've been watching closely to see if he uses that index-finger-behind-blade grip again but I can't see that he does.

I remember seeing a diagram of different grips penhold players use and the index-finger-behind-blade one was labelled "chopping".

Yes, I've seen this video and I did notice the index finger change. I've toyed with that grip to see if there are any advantages while chopping. As far as I can tell, it does not do anything different for me and was just extra finger grip I had to think about so I dropped the idea.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 13:26 
Super User

just saw this. he had a beautiful game. wonder if he was using pimps or if the chopper game would work with the larger balls where one would have less spin?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2020, 09:33 

TableTennisDoc wrote:
just saw this. he had a beautiful game. wonder if he was using pimps or if the chopper game would work with the larger balls where one would have less spin?

its said that zhang xielin was the first to discover the long pips rubber

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2020, 20:47 

Blade: Yinhe N9s cPen
FH: Yinhe Mercury 2 hard
BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
I don't use chops, but this one from this monday was magic :Chop: :Chop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA_ZBblpPSk