OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should you give away a point when leading 10-0?
Yes definitely 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
No certainly not 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Depends on the opponent or the situation 72%  72%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 39
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 15:55 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Jeff's follow-up post:

"An excerpt from the ITTF handbook section 2.11.01

2.11.01 A game shall be won by the player or pair first scoring 11 points unless both players or pairs score 10 points, when the game shall be won by the first player or pair subsequently gaining a lead of 2 points. In the event of a player not winning a point the losing player shall drop his shorts so as the said shorts waste is at least at knee level then he will run around the table in a clockwise direction with said shorts at half mast. Unusual or lack of underwear shall not constitute a valid reason for failure to do “the run” and players can receive a yellow card for the first offence."

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 16:36 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Ummmm... I think there is a part missing. I am pretty sure that if you are on the southern hemisphere, you are required to do a counterclockwise lap. You get warnings moving clockwise.
Now where's my handbook...

AFAIK, this amendment to the rule was made in order to reduce the ill effects of global warming. If you go clockwise in the south or counterclockwise in the north, you contribute to the spiraling of cyclones. You don't want to do that!

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 18:04 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Why do we have different rules among countries?

" In the event that a player loss 11-0, the date shall be posted on the wall and will never be erased. This humiliation can be avoided if the losing player shall buy ice cream for all the players and spectators in the playing venue "

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 22:40 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Red_lion wrote:
Why do we have different rules among countries?

" In the event that a player loss 11-0, the date shall be posted on the wall and will never be erased. This humiliation can be avoided if the losing player shall buy ice cream for all the players and spectators in the playing venue "

I think that can be explained by the fact that countries closer to the equator have more consistently warm weather, welcoming ice-cream at any time of the year...plus the fact that in those warmer countries its more of a burden on the viewers than the viewee's to witness someone sweaty undershorts jiggling around, whereas ice-cream is always pleasant! :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 08:24 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

On cold season, sometimes its "balot" or boiled duck egg ( with the chick already formed) to replace ice cream :lol: .

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 00:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Well I'm glad we got all that cleared up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 05:26 
Super User

Saw in the final of tournament tonight loser was 0-10 on serve down in deciding set.

Opponent receiving serve deliberately missed the ball to stop a bagel.

Not impressed was the look!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 06:58 

I think if it is 10 - 0 then yes, I should give a point. But instead of doing it blindly, I would experiment my new serve so it can use it in the next game. If I win the next point, let be it, if not, oh well, I had a chance to practice my serve any way. This is a WIN/WIN situation

byluu

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 10:41 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
On the receiving end, so far I've lost 11-0 twice. On neither occasion was there any lack of ruthlessness. We play to win. If the opponent is defeated 11-0, then the opponent needs to work on their game. The only way is up. On the giving side, I tend to be cautious about damaging confidence.. but I'm not sure that really has a place...

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 11:05 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
I'm I'm up 8-0 and the opponent is clearly not at my level, I will generally give the point away then, rather than wait to 10-0. At 10-0, to me, it's just too obvious. I find it more embarrassing to get a "free" point at 10-0 than just losing 11-0, for someone to give me a point because I'm not good enough to get one on my own is more embarrassing. so I figure if I give a point at 8-0, it's not so obvious. Now, if the opponent is at my level and I'm just on a serious roll, I won't give them a free point, because I don't want them to find their confidence and groove.

I do the same, at 8-0 no matter against my level or not, I will give a point away.
10-0 is too obvious

Maybe 9-0 if the level is closer :)

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 23:09 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I tried giving away a point at 8-0 against a weaker player. I decided the way to do it was to go for an extravagant shot, rather than a feeble hit into the net. So the next shot, regardless of the ball, I was going to twiddle to LP on FH and wallop it.

The ball came over the net, fairly low with topspin. I walloped it. It went about an inch over the net at a very flat trajectory and hit the table about two inches from the end, and skidded off. One of the best shots I've ever played.

Epic fail!

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2013, 13:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
LordCope wrote:
I tried giving away a point at 8-0 against a weaker player. I decided the way to do it was to go for an extravagant shot, rather than a feeble hit into the net. So the next shot, regardless of the ball, I was going to twiddle to LP on FH and wallop it.

The ball came over the net, fairly low with topspin. I walloped it. It went about an inch over the net at a very flat trajectory and hit the table about two inches from the end, and skidded off. One of the best shots I've ever played.

Epic fail!

I've tried the same thing myself, with the same result too! :lol: :lol: :lol: It's amazing what sort of shots you can pull off when you're totally relaxed and having fun, ;)

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2013, 21:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
LordCope wrote:

Epic fail!

Been there. Done that!

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 13:24 
Super User

I can now honestly say that I have given away not only points but games as well :o I would purposefully get things really close or even give them the lead like 10-8, not that I'm so talented that I can get back all the time, but it does make good mental toughness.

I faced my ex-team mates tonight and I have never lost to them and they have never taken a game off me so loking the big picture and taken into account all the pertinent factors it just came down to "ah just let'em have a couple of shots" but they were all disguised well - the points where you dont want to lose it so you just place it higher a little and let'em smack it after a few strokes in a push rally. Not that I'm much better than these guys, I just like their company and if you keep beating up on someone you wont make too many friends at least club-wise. I think that just getting along and being well liked and feelin the good vibes when you step in the club and having everyone say hi to me before I say it to them might be a great consolation prize this year even if i dont win the trophy again...

And furthermore I got con into getting chinese takeout for the old guy who puts away the tables at the end of the night, he keeps sayin stuff like "i let you win, i let you win you owe me..." Ah, club shenanigans!Love it!

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 15:28 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

timeout,

It's good that it helps your mental toughness by giving away game. I have different opinion and experience on that matter. Finishing each game strong and not giving it away improves my mental toughness that I can closed a set properly. This happens when I play competitive players and in tournament setting no matter what is the level of the opponent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next