OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 14:55 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Hello!, I have Dr Evil. It weighed 25.5g uncut, not sure if that makes it a good thick based sheet or not but the sheet doesn't look especially thick to me. On the other hand its much less wobbly than a usual ox pips sheet.

I've glued it onto a defplay senso with donic water glue, I don't like the donic glue because it never dries fully rubbery like Haifu glue does but its all I have at the moment.

So about the rubber... It has very narrow pips, more like an inverted rubber than short pips out. It is capable of continuing spin, not like a long pip but somewhere in the range of a grippy medium long. Ie. Just slightly. Speed is sloooow, compared to 802 its very slow which is great because that's what I was looking for, spin? Well oddly having a hit around with it in the yard it can make a fair bit of spin, nothing like a grippy long pip or 802 but the good part about it is that its not super fussy on perfect angles like a long pip to self generate spin and its not like 802 which sometimes goes totally out of control. The Dr Evil makes exactly the spin corresponding to how hard you chopped. I'm a big fan of that behaviour. Especially when you can really unleash without the ball going long by 24 tables. Its got enough grip to hit aggressively too, without flying off in all directions like a long pip, it goes straight and accurate to anywhere you point it. So far Dr Evil seems everything I hoped it would be so I'm looking forward to getting on a table. :up:

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 16:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I'll read with interest...to see if you can become evil :P :lol: :devil:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 16:44 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku Flyatt Carbon Pro
FH: Tibhar Aurus TC-1
BH: 729 802 2.1mm
there's nothing evil in dr evil..i'm single side penhold but attach dr evil on BH(729 bomb cpen) mainly to attack high ball from my BH.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2013, 16:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
foam wrote:
So about the rubber... It has very narrow pips, more like an inverted rubber than short pips out.

From memory it's basically a 804 (anti) sheet turned upside-down, so that ties in well with your observation :up:

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 13:34 
Super User

For the price of an 804, you get two rubbers!

I have Dr.Evil and the 804 but I find that they are too difficult to use if you are too used to long pips. More of an angle thing to change the stroke...

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2013, 14:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Foam!

I'm interested in your SP OX chopping habits!

The Dr. Evil sounds good for what you want it for!

You stated:
Quote:
The Dr Evil makes exactly the spin corresponding to how hard you chopped. I'm a big fan of that behaviour.

I can agree and understand that! I have been playing with Friendship 799 OX on my BH and have the same mindset, that it feels effective and fun when "the spin corresponds to how hard you chopped."

Thanks for that insight!

:Chop:

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013, 17:20 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
poknas wrote:
there's nothing evil in dr evil..i'm single side penhold but attach dr evil on BH(729 bomb cpen) mainly to attack high ball from my BH.

Dr Evil VS long back spin, I can hit everything with my 4H or BH ! It can do the same for you !

I play with sometimes vs normal inverted players.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2013, 09:38 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Hey guys I was hoping to have played dr evil on sunday but ended up not being well enough. Im hoping to have come good enough to hit tomorrow, so frustrating!. glenholder, I didnt know about 799, it sounds interesting:).

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2013, 10:00 
Super User

foam wrote:
Hello!, I have Dr Evil. It weighed 25.5g uncut, not sure if that makes it a good thick based sheet or not but the sheet doesn't look especially thick to me. On the other hand its much less wobbly than a usual ox pips sheet.

I've glued it onto a defplay senso with donic water glue, I don't like the donic glue because it never dries fully rubbery like Haifu glue does but its all I have at the moment.

So about the rubber... It has very narrow pips, more like an inverted rubber than short pips out. It is capable of continuing spin, not like a long pip but somewhere in the range of a grippy medium long. Ie. Just slightly. Speed is sloooow, compared to 802 its very slow which is great because that's what I was looking for, spin? Well oddly having a hit around with it in the yard it can make a fair bit of spin, nothing like a grippy long pip or 802 but the good part about it is that its not super fussy on perfect angles like a long pip to self generate spin and its not like 802 which sometimes goes totally out of control. The Dr Evil makes exactly the spin corresponding to how hard you chopped. I'm a big fan of that behaviour. Especially when you can really unleash without the ball going long by 24 tables. Its got enough grip to hit aggressively too, without flying off in all directions like a long pip, it goes straight and accurate to anywhere you point it. So far Dr Evil seems everything I hoped it would be so I'm looking forward to getting on a table. :up:

Right. Spin continuation is slight and usually only if you lightly contact the ball and the ball has heavy incoming spin. If conditions are right, the ball will skid a bit and continue spin. But if you contact firmly, the rubber will grip the ball. That may depend on how fast your blade is. I'd guess a fast blade might be more likely to continue the spin than a slow one.

I played with Dr. Evil for at least a couple years - both sides - hardbat on a relatively slow blade. The linear characteristics of the rubber are partly what makes it a good hardbat rubber. I only moved to Peacekeeper because they messed up the black Dr. Evil for about half a year with the wrong rubber formula. From pure performance standpoint, I should probably go back to Dr. Evil. Not sure if I will though.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2013, 15:23 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

It passed my spin continuation test. That's just chopping a ball standing still and re chopping it over and over. I just let it drop on the floor after one chop, then let it drop after two, after 5, etc.. The more chops you get into the ball with Dr Evil the more spin you get. You cant build it up to inverted levels but you can get pretty close. I like that. You can't do that test with long pips so easily because long pips don't have much control and you end up having to chase the ball :d But the point is it, definitely has spin continuation. Doing the same with inverted it just fights itself. Hitting Dr Evil to continue Inverted gets you almost the full spin of the original stroke returned. I think because Dr Evil has such good control and the ability to make spin on it's own plus being able to continue spin plus being able to through heavy spin without almost any effect on the balls trajectory. All that adds up to a rubber you can do a lot of things with. I'm recovering a bit now so looking good for a hit tomorrow :D.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 10:46 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Hello brothers of non evil evilness,

I've had a hit with the Dr Evil last night, very interesting rubber. Firstly chopping with it isn't as good as 802 1.0mm, I always have a bit of a problem with lack of sponge while chopping because the speed of rubber on blade is just too much but if I limit myself a bit then I could chop with it fairly good and it did get enough spin against a loop to cause big problems in looping a second ball. I found out as the night progressed that if I harnessed my inner Victor Barna and started to play aggressively with it then everything just got better and better, I was finding the hardbat strokes just coming to me very naturally, I was very surprised because I've never used hardbat before but there's something about the crisp contact and feel between rubber and blade that lets you learn it super fast, everything was just smooth and easy by the end of the night. You know I expect that playing hardbat maybe one of the secrets of developing excellent ball feel.

It's deadly against anything high so I found I had quite a few options while playing. I was using Haifu Whale II (soft) on the forehand of a defplay with Dr Evil on the backhand. Now Whale II soft is lacking a fair bit of mumbo compared to the TG3 I normally use but it's very easy to use and you pretty much can't miss a loop with it on a defplay so that was working quite well on the forehand. Then I'd just hit rolling shots with angles on the Dr Evil and kill anything high on the backhand, on the forehand I could loop anything pretty much to anywhere on the table, the contrast between the two side was giving people fits.

I also receive serve with Whale if I wanted to flip the ball or twiddle to it during a rally to hit a backhand with heavy topspin once in a while. Unfortunately I couldn't play against anyone any good last night, maybe US1800 or something like that so I was only able to mess around. Biggest problem is none of them can generate heavy enough spin to really see how dodgy Dr Evil can be but maybe next week I can play someone with a heavier loop / chop. One good thing I can see about Dr Evil is that I can't see how I'd ever be bothered by LP or anti while using it because it just doesn't give enough spin. Normally I have a lot of trouble because I'm usually making a lot of spin from both sides and a fair bit of sidespin too and the ball never comes back stable enough for my big swinging loop (by the time I wind it up the ball has kicked mid swing etc), that's always a problem for me, but if the ball stays pretty straight then it's no problem any more.

Talking about sidespin I hit a couple of inside out fading loops and a another loop from off the hip with heavy side spin against incoming heavy side spin which ended up going dead straight for a winner.. it was Awesome, those kind of shots are much easier it seems with the soft Whale than they are with the harder and faster TG3. Also managed quite a few loops off Dr Evil, I found if I hit them as you would a defenders side spinning fh loop, then the angle on the blade head is perfect for a hard bat and you can loop with it like that.

Overall I'm liking the Dr Evil, it's not as perfect as I dreamed it might be because the chopping wasn't quite as easy as I hoped and I am wondering how it would play on .5 or 1.0mm sponge. But then I'd loose the crisp contact that lets you play aggressive at the table, anyway. Very interesting stuff and should be good to see how I can go with it against higher level players one day.

Last edited by foam on 11 Sep 2013, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 13:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Very nice review, foam. Every bit of good info helps us avid readers!

And...as you already know....giving a rubber more time reveals even more of it's usefulness!

(I have come to prefer the control of OX on my BH. I can hit flatter chops and keep the chops very deep on my opponents side because of the amazing accuracy of the ox SP)

Thanks!

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 14:02 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Yes the control is amazing, the only thing better with 802 is the potential of it. Once in a while you can hit a chop with 802 that is mind bendingly good, dead flat, heavy and fast. I doubt Dr Evil has that kind of potential but you are never going to see a professional play with Dr Evil and heaps of them use 802. It's a lot easier to use so for a player of modest ability like me I'll probably win more matches with Dr Evil than 802. Time will tell as I'm still only at the start of the SP ox learning curve, the good news even at the start I'm not playing any worse than I would with any other setup. Dr evil has a better feel to play with than the 1.0 802, it grips enough yet slips enough. Pretty awesome :up: .

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 14:08 
Super User

How do you guys even chop with short pips at all?

In a small way I find sticky inverted easier cause at least the ball makes good frictional contact with the rubber giving me a sense of a stroke. With the short pips against fast topspins, if you graze the rubber under the ball the pips don't bite and I swing thorough air, if you use a chop from the top of your ear down to your knee approach, it recoils kinda quick and is hard to judge the path, might even pop up, at least for me awhile back when i had evil on my bomb.

Take my hat off to you guys!

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 14:17 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

timeout, better question is how do you chop with long pips !. Short pips are just the same as inverted for me except more forgiving, a few people at a tournament I played a couple months ago asked me why I chop with an almost vertical blade. That's just what comes naturally to me and it seems much more short pip friendly than long pip friendly. I never used to chop from long range at all until this time last year so it's all fairly new to me and short pips just feels more comfortable.

I do need to chop almost everything from the backhand with a lot of sidespin otherwise it's too difficult :D. Forehand is ok, I can chop those straight or with sidespin but these days since I use slower blades I rather send them back from the forehand with crazy sidespin + loop rather than chop, slower blades let me do much more tricky shots :up: .