OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 01:39 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Hi Guys,

I've been offline for a week or so, so I haven't been able to kick this section off like our other new section mods have. I will be modding and administering this section myself as I volunteered just as others did for this one (given the LP equivalent was taken). Now I only use my inverted on the FH side (for the last 6 years), so I'm not the best one to ask about this. But the sections are not about the mod being the expert anyway. Its about having a place to ask questions and getting answers on the sections category, which is what the forum has always been about, these sections just make a nice container to bunch the info together better.

In the coming days I will kick off some topics here, but feel free to start one yourself if there is a burning issue, at any time.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 03:15 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
You have got me confused Reb , I thought I was modding this section (and inverted looping and inverted chopping).

Maybe we should have a pushing competition for the post! Just over 30 years ago I played a point with over 3400 consecutive pushes in it, for charity. And no, I didn't make the mistake! Bring it on! How's that for smack talk?

185g

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 06:27 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Can you push a topspin serve?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 08:50 
Blockhead
Blockhead

mynamenotbob wrote:

I would say sort of. Thing is, depending upon the length of the serve and degree of spin, the shot becomes more of a chop (long) or chop block (over the table). With pimples there is a reason to play the shot that way, but with inverted you should be flicking (short) or loop/driving the ball..... for a defensive strategy look to chop the next ball.

185g

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 12:47 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Hi Guys,

I've been offline for a week or so, so I haven't been able to kick this section off like our other new section mods have. I will be modding and administering this section myself as I volunteered just as others did for this one (given the LP equivalent was taken). Now I only use my inverted on the FH side (for the last 6 years), so I'm not the best one to ask about this. But the sections are not about the mod being the expert anyway. Its about having a place to ask questions and getting answers on the sections category, which is what the forum has always been about, these sections just make a nice container to bunch the info together better.

In the coming days I will kick off some topics here, but feel free to start one yourself if there is a burning issue, at any time.

Please by all means Reb, do take over as I don't think I can handle the pressure! :sweat:
I'm starting to hear voices inside my head...oh it was just the tv!
I'm volunteering alot at the club as well so theres too much on my plate...think of it as I getting things warmed up for you. What the forum needs is experience and someone who can articulate - that means OOAK needs YOU!

Deferring to you would be an honour! Please free my hands from the shackles of the mod-control panel!

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 13:51 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

so_devo wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

I would say sort of. Thing is, depending upon the length of the serve and degree of spin, the shot becomes more of a chop (long) or chop block (over the table). With pimples there is a reason to play the shot that way, but with inverted you should be flicking (short) or loop/driving the ball..... for a defensive strategy look to chop the next ball.

One of the strategies against long pips is to serve light topspin to the LPs. But if I twiddle and attack the serve with the inverted I often get into an unfavorable fast backhand-to-backhand inverted rally with no time to twiddle back. I'd rather do something that keeps it slow with underspin.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 17:11 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
so_devo wrote:
You have got me confused Reb , I thought I was modding this section (and inverted looping and inverted chopping).

Maybe we should have a pushing competition for the post! Just over 30 years ago I played a point with over 3400 consecutive pushes in it, for charity. And no, I didn't make the mistake! Bring it on! How's that for smack talk?

Well mate, you're welcome to it. I must have missed the bit about that, and as I saw every other section but this one had a thread, I figured it was up to me lol.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 01:45 
Blockhead
Blockhead

mynamenotbob wrote:
so_devo wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

One of the strategies against long pips is to serve light topspin to the LPs. But if I twiddle and attack the serve with the inverted I often get into an unfavorable fast backhand-to-backhand inverted rally with no time to twiddle back. I'd rather do something that keeps it slow with underspin.

What length of serve are we talking about here?

185g

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 04:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I played a player last week who could push/chop a topspin serve to his FH whether is was long or short. He kind of did both with a somewhat "tomohawk" style like the similarly named serve. It has pretty heavy underspin. I did not think one could be that on a short topspin serve! I sure can't.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 18:36 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

so_devo wrote:

Second bounce near the end of the table of long. If I twiddle and attack I might catch them off guard the first few times, but after that I usually just get something hard coming back that I'm not prepared to deal with.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 19:15 
The Unprogrammable Player

mynamenotbob wrote:
so_devo wrote:

Second bounce near the end of the table of long. If I twiddle and attack I might catch them off guard the first few times, but after that I usually just get something hard coming back that I'm not prepared to deal with.

If the ball is long I would twiddle and chop it with inverted (nothing special just step back 1-2 small steps, let the ball drop a bit or be even with table surface and chop). If done right no one at your level should be able to 3rd ball a winner :) Or you could step in with your FH and just shot that service back.

When the second bounce is near the end line, it is very hard to push back/chop top spin service. Although I do that from time to time with success it's not the best idea in general. I would counter that service with chop-block (but while your hand moves a bit forward too). If placed right no one should 3rd ball a winner also.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 21:56 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
mynamenotbob wrote:
so_devo wrote:

These are my preferred balls for doing a very fast FH looping attack. It goes wonderfully well with Calibra LTs, certainly when the servel isn't too long. At BH, I tend to chop them back when the serve is very spinny. When serve isn't too long and spinny, it can also be attacked efficiently.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 02:44 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Anybody know of any good videos where someone chops a serve like this right at the table?

| My OOAK Interview