OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 19:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Since there seems to be some confusion about exactly what a Retriever is, perhaps we should list the main shops that a retriever plays?

Do the strokes really include any type of stroke that's play away from the table to return the ball back onto the table, or are there some unique strokes?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 10:32 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Yes, there is some confusion. Maybe it would be handy to have a kind of table that lists the types of strokes or tactics a retriever would employ that are different from other styles. It doesn't have to be too complex or set-in-stone. It could be something like:

Short Ball
Retriever - short return with spin with placement
Looper - flick/flip with topspin
Chopper - push (backspin return)
Defender - block with placement

Long Ball
Retriever - mid-return with spin and placement
Looper - heavy looping topspin
Chopper - heavy backspin

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to breaking down the types of shots a particular style of player would use. All I know about my own game is to focus more and more on being positive and aggressive with my strokes.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 15:10 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Quote:
Short Ball
Retriever - short return with spin with placement
Looper - flick/flip with topspin
Chopper - push (backspin return)

Long Ball
Retriever - mid-return with spin and placement
Looper - heavy looping topspin
Chopper - heavy backspin

Mostly a retriever seldom goes for kill shots - unless playing another retriever.

A short ball may well be dealt with in a number of different ways, but a short return with spin & placement sounds pretty good to this retriever.

A long ball may be blocked or chopped or side spun or be a mid-return with spin and placement.

Often it is subterfuge - the inviting lob with unexpected spin. It is also making the opponent play that extra shot.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 22:49 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
There's a guy at my club who stays close to the table attacking, but when being attacked, a lot of times he will back off the table and lob, lob, lob...

Like a normal close to the table looper who goes into defense with lobs a lot.

Would that be like half retriever?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 23:11 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
There are a lot of offensive players who use lobbing/retrieving as their "B" game. Or maybe it's their "A" game but against certain players they have to play offensively (thus their "B" game) to win.

If I was a double-inverted player I'd certainly play an away from the table game but I don't know if I'd class that as "retrieving" as such. I'd definitely still want to be attacking certain balls. Maybe that's the difference?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 23:22 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Playing inverted I play either offensively at the table or lob from distance, usually both during a match. It depends, against players who don't hit hard enough or unconventionally enough I have more success outlasting them from a distance. I don't have any fancy long range shots, I just mix in flat and topspin lobs and sometimes put a bit of a side kick on them. The main thing is get a really high bounce that makes it difficult for the other player to get speed over length out of their smash. If they have to come down on the ball it will bounce up and take forever to reach you which totally sets you up for a second lob. The only problem is my mate with the chop block smash, he really takes the fun out of the situation :up: .

I don't know why but when playing with pips I tend to play a really curly forehand loop from the inverted side from distance rather than lob, something I never used to do at all.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 12:45 

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
It isn't the strokes that make a retriever, but the mindset or strategy. Certainly most retrievers would not play counterloop after counterloop as that is usually playing into the opponent's strength. It could be counterloop then fish / lob then block then some sort of crazy long sidespin. A retriever tries to keep the opponent off-balance, out of or on the edge of their comfort zone - giving what looks like an eminently hittable ball that is jamming them or fading out of reach or higher than expected or ...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!