OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 09:22 
Super User

I did a quick search and there wasn'tt anything so I'm going to go with it...

Inspired by foam I didn't realize how superstitious I had become with regard to matches.

Here are some of mine.

Listening to a certain song or tune in the car while driving to the club.
Getting to the front door at the club just before my opponent does while she sees me, did that last year.
Wearing the same clothes that I won in.
getting to the club at my usual time and not rushing.
Keeping the same bat in the same cover.
Taking my usual tote bag and wearing it like kasumi ishikawa, teeny bopper style.
Blogging just before I leave the house.

So guys what are your superstitions and rituals? Hope you got some weird ones...

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 17:26 

Humm... I prefer read the maps just at the Tournament place, maybe for play the ball, not the player...

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 09:27 
Super User

jsotas wrote:
Humm... I prefer read the maps just at the Tournament place, maybe for play the ball, not the player...

Boy your venue must be fairly large if you need a map to get around.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 19:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I don't think I have any... not that I'm aware of anyway :oops:

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 23:35 

timeout wrote:
jsotas wrote:

Boy your venue must be fairly large if you need a map to get around.

the Tournament map not the City map :-D

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 03:48 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
I have a few, most of them are performed during the matches though. Without writing an essay and going in to the specifics some of them are:

Placing down my towel in the exact right way
Using the towel before drinking water during set breaks
Blowing on the ball and bouncing it on the table while wiping my hand on my shorts before serving
Twiddling my paddle just before my opponent serves
Wiping hand on the table after missing an easy put away
Breathing on and wiping my rubber in set breaks (I'm doing this a lot between points as well)
Closing and wiping of the water bottle and placing it closer to my opponent compared to the towel

I could make the list a lot longer but these are the ones that are borderline OCD-ish, if I don't perform these rituals it will drive me crazy and I can't focuse on the game at all. For example if I don't place down the towel in the right way and then try to ignore it I will just think about the towel being in the wrong position during points and won't be able to focus until I fix it.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 04:53 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
A lot of those are more of a routine than superstitions auzcar. Psychologists suggest that routine is incredibly important in sport, especially sports like table tennis. Helps you to deal with nerves and other emotions (anger etc).

I do a few of those as part of my routine but they're not what I'd call superstition. For me, superstition is doing something which won't really impact upon your game but you do it anyway because when you've done it previously you've been successful in your following matches.

Placing your towel in a specific way is superstitious potentially - bouncing the ball before serve is routine.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 09:01 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

What did I say to inspire you?. Some anti OCD speech no doubt Lol. Its a real mental illness. Most people have it, at least in a mild form. Problem is the higher intelligence you are and less distracted you are the worse its likely to develop. High level sportsmen are usually badly effected. Imho Nadal has it bad enough to effect his quality of life and needs help for example. Some pass it off as superstition.

If you pay attention you can spot straight lines like someone's shoes, aligned items within chaos on a desk or even see people mentally counting. Even very young kids can be seen refusing to step on joiner lines in the in footpath.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 09:41 
Super User

Blade: BTY Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Tibhar Aurus 1.9mm
BH: Tibhar Aurus 1.7mm
I have to wear something purple, either a bit on my shirt, a bracelet, a scrunchie. Most recently my husband got me one of those Timex Sportswatch and it's purple :-)

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 10:06 
Hard Justice

Drink a glass bottle of Coke.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2014, 16:38 
Super User

abdulmuhsee wrote:
Drink a glass bottle of Coke.

Totally agree, tastes better. Also like ketchup from a glass bottle but not during houseleague :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 09:59 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
We Filipinos are superstitious in general. But I don't apply it in matches. I would say I prefer to use a particular shoes ( especially if I won with it in the last tournament ). Not because of superstition but because I felt that it gave me better performance in terms of movement.
I practice my top spin to get my timing right before my first official game. I think TT players are not that superstitious :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 14:00 
Super User

Red_lion wrote:
We Filipinos are superstitious in general. But I don't apply it in matches. I would say I prefer to use a particular shoes ( especially if I won with it in the last tournament ). Not because of superstition but because I felt that it gave me better performance in terms of movement.
I practice my top spin to get my timing right before my first official game. I think TT players are not that superstitious :lol:

Yes I agree RL...some rituals are practical and serve a technical purpose like you getting the timing of your top spins...I found using the robot helpful but too difficult just before going to the club which involves driving and packing your stuff...but in terms of rituals that dont serve any useful purpose I find that my psyche enjoys the fact that I match my underwear with my shorts, shirts and shoes...so if you are in my neck of the woods (and there are many Filipinos :up: in my club) and you see me in blue, there's a good chance that I'm wearing blue underneath too :oops:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 16:24 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Is there a specific reason for this timeout? :?:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 17:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
timeout wrote:
..... my psyche enjoys the fact that I match my underwear with my shorts, shirts and shoes...

to some degree...+1 :lol:

I even prefer my socks color (even if its hidden in the shoe with just white outer) to blend in lol.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!