OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 13:44 

Hi Reb
It's more about accurate thinking than positive thinking, ie understanding the causal connection between emotions and pain symptoms. Once you understand the process the rest falls into place..it's not about blind faith it's about gaining knowledge about the real cause.
My son has been twice diagnosed for a knee reconstruction. I suggested that it could be TMS. He passed on the surgery and has since run a PB for 400mtrs and has played the past 2 seasons of TT comps without any knee issues..makes you wonder doesn't it?
Some other tantalising back facts are:
"up to 85% of patients with lower back pain cannot be given a definitive diagnosis" ( New England Journal of Medicine)
"Surgery has been found to be helpful in only 1% of cases of lower back pain" (US Dept of health study)..what about the other 99%!!!!
"there is no correlation between back abnormailities and back pain"
( New England Journal of Medicine)..this is a revelation in itself
It these sorts of 'official' conclusions don't red flag conventional diagnostics, nothing will.
I am glad that I passed on my double discectomy!
I have no doubt that recognition of TMS will be part of mainstream medicine in due course. At the moment it is leading edge.
The reader reviews at the link I included are pretty convincing I think>
Must go now, the courier has just arrived with my Acoustic blade - :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 15:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Tuffix, I'm assuming this TMS thing helps with more than just back pain. That it is whole of body stuff, even if it is aimed at back pain to begin?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject: Re: Achilles tendonits
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 15:44 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Jasper wrote:
And on the subject of A: stretching before playing does not help prevent tendon damage (I already pointed this out in Reb's recovery thread)

Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to go see a doctor! Tendon damage is a b¨$/# :!:

Not sure I 100% agrre with para one above Jasper. Although its more limbering than stretching thats required. If you make your achilles well limbered I think it may aid in reducing the risk of tendon damage, although I agree it will not prevent it for sure. By limbering I mean rolling your foot and ankle in all directions and bending it back and forth as far as it will go and sideways too. Having said that, the tendons will only deal with a certain level of pressure before they rupture or snap. So if you push beyond that nothing will stop them damaging. Of course no-one does it deliberately as such, its always going to be in response to trying to achieve something like the impossible ball.

I met a guy the other day who had done his achilles whilst warming up for a martial arts sparring session. Hadn't got into the session, was bending his knees and stretching and stuff when suddenly he felt his achilles go. He said he knew he'd done it because he couldn't put his foot the ground and he had to hop a km to his car to go to the hospital. :shock:

On your second paragraph, I am in total accordance! :wink:

Edit: Jasper I went back and read the whole context of what you said and now I think I agree 100% lol. Yes I think Limbering and warming up are the same thing LOL. :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 20:57 
Super User

tuffix, has there been double-blind trials done on TMS? unfortunately anecdotal evidence should only be considered the weakest form of evidence (if at all). For comparison, I bet there are people willing to give anecdotal support for urine therapy also (or practically anything).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 22:52 

Reb
Yes, whole of body..I only used the back references as one example.
The psyche knows no boundaries..the list of common complaints is extensive.

Addoydude
Once you understand the nature of TMS you will appreciate that double blind studies are difficult to apply... hence some reliance on the anecdotal. I appreciate the need for scientific rigour, and I was as skeptical as anyone, but I am satisfied that there is ample evidence for the success of the treatment..including my own recovery.
I will leave it at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2008, 19:38 
Super User

Hey Addoy,

I had the same problem!!! From the beginning of this season I'm playing with this:
http://www.decathlon.es/ES/taloneras-6195833/

Believe me WORTH TRYING for just 12 €. It's a heel insole made of silicone.

Good luck

Q.-

Post subject: Re: Achilles tendonits
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014, 18:44 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
achilles tendonitis and a second tendon is affected too..along with some ligaments...

so i cant play the last 4 rounds of this season due to a prescribed 6 week break.. :headbang: ;(