OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 07:05 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Def-attack wrote:
Der_Echte wrote:
glennholder wrote:
Der_Echte!

C'mon.....you MUST meet Speedplay with that new Volvo and have a hit with him!!! Say to yourself: honestly Der....this adventure with the Volvo and Speedplay must be on Der's bucket list!

We NEED a story from you on this adventure!!!!! It would help all of us to reflect on life over a :beer:

And....that's a testimony to how effective 2008 is for a cheap rubber, the fact that you use it on your BH.

I'm about to pick up the Vovlo in a couple hours and I already talked to Speedplay. (PM on MyTT haha.) His club is closed down for season break and wife has already aped me about no TT this mission.

As much smack talk me and Speedplay have made over the last 7 to 8 years... I would still bitch slap him on BH wing and toy with him. haha more smack talk, Speedplay isn't some country chump and he can put the brakes on some stuff so it won't go exactly that easy.

As fun as the talk has been and how we both feel, the match we (and the whole TT forum world) simply is NOT going to happen. I don't think my wife is up for even a visit to his village for tourism, even if it is only 30 minutes out of our route south.

Are you in my home town Göteborg?

I WAS there, but now in Germany.

Here is a pic of the car.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203527357402905&set=pcb.10203527358442931&type=1&theater

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 07:07 

glennholder wrote:
Der_Echte!

C'mon.....you MUST meet Speedplay with that new Volvo and have a hit with him!!! Say to yourself: honestly Der....this adventure with the Volvo and Speedplay must be on Der's bucket list!

We NEED a story from you on this adventure!!!!! It would help all of us to reflect on life over a :beer:

And....that's a testimony to how effective 2008 is for a cheap rubber, the fact that you use it on your BH.

I even drove 15 km right by his village.

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 12:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Don't see the car yet, but it's interesting to see Peace balls are still being made. I bought a half dozen back in the 80s, don't remember how I came by them - this was way before South Korea became a manufacturing powerhouse - way before Samsung and LG and Kia - they came in a nice box with a sliding tray and an eggcase-type partitioning piece of plastic inside. Kept the box for other balls long after the balls themselves were gone. The balls felt a little strange, to be honest - I remember reading one account of a tournament held in Korea around that time where they used Peace balls, and there was a comment about the balls being "unfamiliar". They're probably just like all the other balls now, though.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 14:22 

I still got a couple 6 packs of PEACE balls.

In Korean amature clubs, you play and when they pick up the ball, they look at it once. If it isn't a white PEACE 3 star, or a Champion *** Platinum, they will find quickly find a way to "accidently" destroy it.

PostPosted: 26 May 2014, 18:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Der_Echte wrote:
I recently went to Walmart to get 4 each $3.50 USD bats with OX SP. I peeled off the SP rubber surprisingly easily, took 10 minutes per side to get rid of glue (usually takes hours) and slapped on old sheets of XP 2008, whatever I had handy, or a new sheet of XP 2008 or 999. I made 4 bats at a cost of $4, $12, $15, and $18 per bat. These ended up being ALL- to ALL speed control setups perfect for a dude wanting to step up to a real bat. 4 Soldeirs now have their own bat to bring to the USO for lunchtime TT battles. They are proud of their own bats now.

I'm in the middle of stripping a cheap bat (friend of mine brought it over, wants me to put rubber on it), and I'm wondering if you have some hints or tricks for removing the sponge. I've been at it a couple of hours already but there's still a fair amount of sponge left.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 May 2014, 20:20 

elbow grease and using rubber cutoffs (tip from mytt). i did this only last week and i got two big blisters and it took a couple of hours. but has turned out nicely.

PostPosted: 27 May 2014, 00:15 

the cutouts are the way to go, but pre-made bat glue/sponge crap is a mudda to clear up even with cutouts. It is work.

PostPosted: 27 May 2014, 10:48 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
In short there is no easy way. I had a really stubborn one recently. Tried all sorts of things including light sandpaper, a scraper, the old rubber (which was ripped to shreds in no time). IN the end it was a combination of a hair dryer, eucalyptus oil and and old sandshoe. Not really sure what worked but the sandshoe sole was able to wear down the glue. The heat from the hair dryer softened it up and the eucalyptus oil turned it to goo. Not all the time though and not all bats are the same in removing old glue.

Its hard work as detailed in other threads, a couple hours doesn't surprise me. Often I've done a quarter of a side a night, as its just too hard to do a big section. I've done about 6, they are all different but all hard work. Be patient, you will get there.

PostPosted: 27 May 2014, 14:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Cutoffs? Cutouts?? (Not sure what these are... :sweat: ) I was thinking, perhaps - Ronson lighter fluid? Moral of story prhaps - if you find a brand of rec racket where the rubber DOES come off easily, and is of fairly good quality, it pays to go get more of the same...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 May 2014, 14:19 

Cutoffs are old bits of rubber. You can even use the rubber you have stripped off the pre made, but I've had better results with rubber with some sponge underneath. Rubbing the inverted surface over the yellow sponge/glue on the pre made eventually brings it off and leaves a very smooth wooden surface. A thin coat of polyu et voilà! :)

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 22:07 

iskandar taib wrote:
Don't see the car yet, but it's interesting to see Peace balls are still being made. I bought a half dozen back in the 80s, don't remember how I came by them - this was way before South Korea became a manufacturing powerhouse - way before Samsung and LG and Kia - they came in a nice box with a sliding tray and an eggcase-type partitioning piece of plastic inside. Kept the box for other balls long after the balls themselves were gone. The balls felt a little strange, to be honest - I remember reading one account of a tournament held in Korea around that time where they used Peace balls, and there was a comment about the balls being "unfamiliar". They're probably just like all the other balls now, though.

Iskandar

Some pics...

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 22:24 

iskandar taib wrote:
Cutoffs? Cutouts?? (Not sure what these are... :sweat: ) I was thinking, perhaps - Ronson lighter fluid? Moral of story prhaps - if you find a brand of rec racket where the rubber DOES come off easily, and is of fairly good quality, it pays to go get more of the same...

Iskandar

When I want to make a REALLY inexpensive setup for someone and got some old XP 2008 laying around, I buy a $3.50 Wallmart shake bat that has both sides Short Pips OX no sponge. The glue they use to attach it is also evil, but there is no sponge to deal with. Rubber peals right off and there is ONLT 20-30 minutes to make the side perfect. The blade is a crappy ALL or ALL _ speed class, but right up the alley for a cheap effective beginner's bat. I can play close enough to my level using it, but wouldn't get caught dead playing a sanctioned tourney with it, unless my other ten bats are defunct.

This $5 Stiga OX SP bat from walmart would prolly be just as easy (rather not as difficult) to convert too.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stiga-Hardbat-Table-Tennis-Racket/16338977

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 12:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Hmm good idea. The local Tesco sells hardbats, in fact I have one lying around I was planning to strip because the rubber was not glued down properly (there's a wrinkle in it). Came as a pair, the other one was OK.

Have you ever tried solvents? I've been meaning to pick up a can of Ronson lighter fluid to see if it will remove the old sponge. There's also that stuff from Ace Hardware that's supposed to clean off stickers and such (can't remember what it was called).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 14:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Der_Echte!!!

Nice Car!!!!!!!!!!

That is an "ALL+" car! It can do everything! Enough power to win the point, It has Volvo's built in Defensive properties, it has enough room to store 1700 Table Tennis bats, and it certainly has a nice touch for the short play too.

VERY IMPRESSIVE!

May to truly enjoy it!

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 21:47 

That wagon has over 300 Horsepower, so it is at least OFF. Control and safety are top features for sure. Every safety advance not yet invented or discovered by man is in that wagon.

As for lighter fluid or kerosene or whatever, that is good for dissolving glue, but crappy on stuck on sponge that is a trademark of crappy premades.

Get the SP bat on the cheep, take off and discard the SP, and if you want to speed it up, use Ur lighter fluid, but it is still some work, but worth it to make the ultimate cheep new bat.

Really though, how much does it cost to get a NEW 896 and deck it out with 729 or XP 2008? Not really a lot, 1/2 the cost of ONE sheet of modern rubber at most.

Yet, some new players will absolutely NOT play if they have to spend more than a few packs of cigarettes money on their bat, until they get hooked on EJism one-up the other guy syndrom.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next