OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Weekly Chop
PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 05:45 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I give it a year... Then he won't be able to beat you. And he will be complaining about your equipment more.

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 09:08 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
tabesamis wrote:
I give it a year... Then he won't be able to beat you. And he will be complaining about your equipment more.

Right? Haha!

Well, it'll be satisfying nonetheless! I am going to put in twice the work this weekend. This has inspired me all over again!

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 18:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Go Japsican!!!

Post subject: First USATT Rating
PostPosted: 30 May 2014, 22:19 

I have no frame of reference to know if this is a good start or not, but it is a baseline piece of data:

We all gotta start somewhere.

Incidentally, the ratings show that I played one game less than I did....a minor annoyance, but I kinda want credit for that win.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Post subject: Re: First USATT Rating
PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 04:01 

Japsican wrote:
I have no frame of reference to know if this is a good start or not, but it is a baseline piece of data:

We all gotta start somewhere.

Incidentally, the ratings show that I played one game less than I did....a minor annoyance, but I kinda want credit for that win.

You sure you werent credited? I show you had 3 wins and won your group. Since you had no rating before you dont advance. Now Most tourneys group 3 or 4 people (havent seen 5 yet) so you won 3 matches from your 4 person group and got credited.

P.S. Usually I enter 2-3 events per tournament to make it worth the trip. Kind of a bummer when you go through all that prep and travel and just play 3 matches. Advice you enter at least a couple.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 04:36 

LDMovies wrote:
You sure you werent credited? I show you had 3 wins and won your group. Since you had no rating before you dont advance. Now Most tourneys group 3 or 4 people (havent seen 5 yet) so you won 3 matches from your 4 person group and got credited.

P.S. Usually I enter 2-3 events per tournament to make it worth the trip. Kind of a bummer when you go through all that prep and travel and just play 3 matches. Advice you enter at least a couple.

It was a 5 player RR, I played 4 people, so they're missing one.

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 04:41 

LDMovies wrote:

Great advice! Thanks! I'll do that in the future. This was local, so not too much effort to get there thankfully.

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 05:30 

Japsican wrote:
LDMovies wrote:

Great advice! Thanks! I'll do that in the future. This was local, so not too much effort to get there thankfully.

For me ..getting up 6:30 am on my weekend to get to a 9am event is too much effort in itself.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2014, 04:36 

ID-1O-T Error
Biggest bonehead move of my EJ career: I mixed up the Rubber Cement and the Contact Cement on my workstation, and didn't realize it until 80% of the blade was covered in it. The bottles are aesthetically very similar. DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :swear: :swear: :swear: :headbang:

I had to let the blade dry and harden, before taking a fine and very fine grit sand paper to it. It's kind of back to normal, but I can definitely tell a difference with it on the pips side. It's hitting noticeably harder, and I've had to change my stroke to accommodate, which isn't good. The next thing I'll attempt to do is flip the sides of the bat, putting the inverted on the side that received the contact cement, since I feel that side could use the speed anyway. I'm still so pissed off at myself for doing that...can't believe it.

Tourment Upcoming
My coach has encouraged me to enter the U1400 AND the U1200 group in the Washington Open, so we'll see how I do (Same advice from LDMovies :up: ). Coach thinks I've really improved from week to week, and that I'm even more consistent with my chops since the tournament. I feel differently of course because I feel as if my chops are not garnering enough backspin especially if I end up closer to the net rather than the back of the table. What I have done is started to more consistently send my shots with a much flatter trajectory than before, which has led to some difficulty. But I still contend that the opponents at my level have a harder time with the high lobs to the back of the table. Must be the level.

Reflectoid experiment
I have decided to try the Reflectoid 2.0mm rubber on my forehand as an experiment. I have really noticed that I rely on my forehand loop to finish certain shots, but only when I'm close to the table from about 2-3 feet in. I rarely if ever loop from mid distance. Sounds as if slow loops are doable from close to the table, and pretty effective from what I've read. Of course, this is all technique dependent. My chops with my current rubber are completely inconsistent, albeit deadly if it lands.... I'm trying to figure out if I'm better served as a chopper who opportunistically puts away a ball, or a more all around player who converts defense in to offense when he wants or needs to. With the Reflectoid, I'm hoping the rubber is offensive enough for close to the table forehand smashes and/or slow loops. I've heard mixed reviews on that, but for 14 bucks, I'm willing to test it out, especially after speaking to Tom at Zeropong directly. For the record, it IS a spinny/tacky rubber, just doesn't have any speed because it uses a dampening sponge, which for chopping makes sense. So, will I find it too much of a sacrifice on the offensive side? I'll see.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2014, 08:01 

1 hour tutorial from Koji Matsushita on chopping technique! Can't beat that!

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2014, 09:01 

Japsican wrote:
1 hour tutorial from Koji Matsushita on chopping technique! Can't beat that!

Wow great find! . Only way to beat that .. is if I had it in English!

My Blog

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 11:38 

Just a quickie...First, I went back to P-1R OX....Updating sig. I'm just way more consistent with it placement-wise, my chops are spinnier, and the close to the table attack shots are way more effective...especially the sideswipes and chops vs. backspin. There's something so tactile about it in OX with the defplay...I just love it.

I invested in an iPong, and will be trying Reflectoid as my forehand rubber. I'll report back after a night of trying that out.... I haven't yet practiced with the new rubber yet, but the iPong is GREAT! It does jam quite often tho. Still, it's a minor nuisance and so worth the money.

Already my chop consistency is WAY improved! I am consistently hitting the middle line, and within a foot of the back of the table. Getting about 30 balls on the table in a row....

After taping myself I noticed that my chopping stroke was flawed. I wasn't getting full extension through the ball on my chops....you really have to be cognizant of getting your paddle near your knee...I was stopping short, often stopping about 5 inches past contact with the ball.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2014, 01:10 

Okay, time to catch up. LOTS of things have happend since my last post.

I haven’t been blogging much, but I have been playing a lot. I have still been trying to “find” myself style-wise and have been trying to stick with one rubber regardless of what I think of it. However, my 6 year old son used my main paddle (without permission), and left it out for my 3 year old son to damage. The Feint long 3 was damaged beyond use. This forced me to go back to my old paddle, which had the same inverted rubber but P-1R on the BH. Seems like feint helped me develop my chopping stroke to the point that I was able to tame the P-1R (smaller sponge at .5mm) and many more of my balls were staying on the table. There is considerably more underspin with my stroke using the P-1R, and I have had many guys cursing and avoiding my backhand chops. This made me happy. However, EJ is always lurking and I am thinking of making a switch due to a style change.

Also, while I had been improving my chopping game, my backhand attack was sorely lacking. So this caused me to try out a Windshield Wiper American Grip to see if it would help with my attacking from that side….specifically the Ann Alvarez grip. It was completely natural for me. What has happened is that I have evolved into an American Grip/Modern Defender! This has worked amazingly, particularly from the backhand side. My attacks are lightening fast now. I drive/loop from in front of my body and BH side now with more speed than most people at my club. Even my Chinese Modern Defender coach likes that grip for me (despite it being against all of his fundamental teachings). The in-game transition from inverted to Pips is completely baffling people now, and I couldn’t be happier. I still twiddle to traditional shakehand for chopping and off table looping.

When chopping I used to give up the table. My coach had wanted me to hold the table more, and the American grip has allowed me to do that. I chop, half twiddle to American, attack, half twiddle back. Kind of like Nathanso does. I run around less, I’m not as tired when I go deep in to matches, and most importantly, I put all of my opponents on the defensive more often than the opposite.

The weakness of the grip is on the BH when there is an extreme angle on the return. The fix is to hit the ball sooner (if possible) or twiddle to shakehand. I haven’t figured out a stroke for this when the ball is low and fast to the extreme BH. I can only attempt a weak block or chop block with the LPs in this case. Because it’s low, turning your forearm isn’t effective. However, I’ll leave the solution to that problem for a forum question. Thankfully, I rarely have this issue because I’m usually in position to deal with this. For this, I'm considering a blocking LP which also chops well so that when this happens if I just block it back with the LP, I do so with some reversal. This doesn't happen with the P-1R. But again, I'll post that question in the forum for help.

So, something amazing happened.
Remember the guy I blogged about who was a real jerk towards me, making fun of my equipment and being generally nasty to me? He showed up at a TT club at another location and we ended up on the same table. When we met last I was trying a more Pushblocker style and was new to LPs. My style is now completely different. Long story short, I beat him in 4 games, 3-1!!!! The games were all close except for the last one (11-5). I ran him from corner to corner (American grip blocking) and mixed in heavy chops which he never returned. I then suggested to him he change paddles as clearly it wasn’t working for him. He scoffed and walked off complaining about long pips to someone in the room. I guess he wasn’t so “high level” after all. :rock:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 06:47 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Japsican wrote:
So, something amazing happened.
Remember the guy I blogged about who was a real jerk towards me, making fun of my equipment and being generally nasty to me? He showed up at a TT club at another location and we ended up on the same table. When we met last I was trying a more Pushblocker style and was new to LPs. My style is now completely different. Long story short, I beat him in 4 games, 3-1!!!! The games were all close except for the last one (11-5). I ran him from corner to corner (American grip blocking) and mixed in heavy chops which he never returned. I then suggested to him he change paddles as clearly it wasn’t working for him. He scoffed and walked off complaining about long pips to someone in the room. I guess he wasn’t so “high level” after all. :rock:

:up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 11:26 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Heh.... Less than a year.... That's what effort and coaching can do. Don't put anyone on a pedistle. You can compete in the long run:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next