OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 22:59 
Super User

Just heard about Jike's celebration and how he won the World Championships but lost the prize money. I'm sad to say this doesn't reflect the sportsmanship I would hope to have for table tennis. Lost a bit of respect for Jike to just demolish a stand. I would be shattered if I blew 45k US dollars but it wouldn't matter to him because he is a millionaire. For many lovers of the game it reminds us, under the conditions they are no better than the perceptions that we assume. For the Chinese this is a huge insult to their sporting ways which is all about mental focus and discipline. Link below of footage tell me what you think.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/chinese ... elebration

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 23:09 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
he acted like an arrogant and silly baboon, the penalty serves him right! they should have drug tested him too.. :punch: |(

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 23:28 
Incredible Shrinking Man

To me.it also shows that he is a human, that he have feelings and that he is not a machine..
Maybe I am the only one with that feeling, but don't really care..

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 23:40 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
Geddk wrote:
.it also shows that he is a human, that he have feelings and that he is not a machine..

let him have all the feelings he wants...let him cry, let him jump around in joy, let him shoot rainbows out of the place where the sun doesnt shine... let him do whatever he wants that reflects the joy of winning/being happy...but that display of emotion was soley destructive, unappealing, arrogant and had no positive vibe to it at all.. :^)

as a matter of fact the police should be investigating this, as due to criminal law, he has destroyed someone elses property purposefully and it is not up to the ittf whether this should be followed, as this offence always leads to automatic prosecution.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 23:52 
Incredible Shrinking Man

AA wrote:
Geddk wrote:
.it also shows that he is a human, that he have feelings and that he is not a machine..

let him have all the feelings he wants...let him cry, let him jump around in joy, let him shoot rainbows out of the place where the sun doesnt shine... let him do whatever he wants that reflects the joy of winning/being happy...but that display of emotion was soley destructive, unappealing, arrogant and had no positive vibe to it at all.. :^)

yes, he is really a criminal person...

3. Blade : SL Defender SL DG 0x red : Secret flow 1.8 black : Against other LP players.
4. Blade : ST Fire-starter: Easy P 0x red : Air Illumina MAX Black : Incoming
Maybe I will try sponge some day!
----------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 05:47 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I think the penalty is high because the ITTF dosn't want a trend that when kids watch and think this is normal

no need for police if someone pays for some cardboard barriers with $45000

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 06:10 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Hang on, he kicked to hoardings, hardly demolishing a stand is it!

Winning 12-10 in the 7th set is fairly tight so I could imagine being quite high on emotion, I doubt the penalty fits the crime here!!

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 06:22 
Super User

I thought it was really odd behavior and totally inappropriate unless he knows something we don't. Perhaps he sees some handwriting on the wall that we don't so this was his final gesture to the national team.
Or maybe he felt he should celebrate in some unique way and on the spur of the moment he thought of a rock performance where equipment gets trashed. I suppose he is treated something like a rock star at home.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 06:47 

Well, let us for just a moment try to put ourselves in his shoes. It was a fight to the death, the death of his image and reputation as undisputed grand slam champion. Had he failed, he would have taken a big hit. For a time, there was some talk that he got to where he was because Ma Long was not in the way (he was somehow unbelievably eliminated) when he won the tournaments for his first grand slam. Even to this day, Ma Long is one of the very few who could genuinely pose a threat to him. It may seem that his actions after winning a tournament is arrogant but if I believe that it was exactly because he wasn't sure he could pull it off, but when he did, the built up tension was released. Perhaps he should have done it some other way, but to put him and his achievements down for this is unreasonable I think. Would you agree with me if I say let him who is without transgression cast the first stone?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 07:40 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

What ZJK did was wrong. But I don't think withholding his prize money was appropriate. A stern warning from the governing body (+/- a fine or penalty) should suffice.
I don't recall John McEnroe having his prize money withheld. Even today, withholding the price money from a player in tennis (or other sports) may result in a lawsuit.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 07:49 
Super User

Yea I do see what your saying with the tension and situation he was in. I still think it was unacceptable. If Jo Waldner beat Kong Linghui in the 2000 Olympics would he have of kicked down the stands? I don't think so. Waldner was in that same position 14 years ago in his late thirties and everyone had doubts of him being any good. If Waldner won the match he wouldn't have destroyed someone's else's property. All the matches he plays you don't see him change his attitude or facial expressions he gives nothing away for 95 per cent of the time.

China's national sport is table tennis so jike is adored by a billion Chinese fans. He has rockstar status. Living in a communist country and to achieve that status. I think he has mentally cracked to that problem an has lost some level headed thinking. I'm calling Jike out he definitely is spoilt and too brash on the table it shows in his game.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 08:26 

What I want to know is what is happening to the $45K?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 09:12 
Hard Justice

Maybe they viewed it as being disrespectful to the advertisers. First he kicked the Liebherr barrier, then the DHS, with holes going through the brand names.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 17:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Posted this yesterday.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26779

Millionaire or not, it's 5% of a million... ;)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2014, 07:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

abdulmuhsee wrote:
Maybe they viewed it as being disrespectful to the advertisers. First he kicked the Liebherr barrier, then the DHS, with holes going through the brand names.

I would kick their barrier too, just for the really bad plastic balls they are making and selling.