OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Stiga blades
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 02:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

As a result of all the back-and-forth about blade "flex", I get the idea that there aren't any Chinese blades that are the true equivalent of the "really flexy" European blades. So I'm going to go get a Euro blade just to see what I'm missing, if anything. What I will get will depend on what's in stock at the shop down the road:

http://www.presports.com

Unlike Chinese blades, importing a Stiga blade (from Europe or the US) would be prohibitively expensive.

Among Stiga blades, they have the following that I feel might be relevant to "the cause" (I'm NOT looking for my "perfect blade", I'm looking for the "most European" of what's available, for comparison to what I've got). No Clippers, no Carbons, nothing very expensive.

Allround Classic ALL 80g Speed 62 Control 75 $45.66
Allround Evolution ALL 80g Speed 72 Control 77 $39.57
Allround Wood NCT ALL 80g Speed 72 Control 79 $45.66
Offensive Classic OFF- 85g Speed 73 Control 76 $42.61
Offensive Classic WRB OFF- 80g Speed 77 Control 75 $45.66
Tube Light WRB OFF- 80g Speed 82 Control 70 $48.70

The three that stick out are the Allround Classic, the Allround Evolution and the Allround Wood NCT. The ratings are Stiga's, as are the weights (I've seen posts on the "flexy" thread that reference a 85g Allround Classic - I hope to avoid that by bringing a digital scale to the shop and weighing the blades). The Allround Classic seems the slowest by far, but I'm wondering if the Allround Evolution might not work for this purpose. It is six bucks cheaper. Just how much slower is the Allround Classic?

There are other brands available but it's limited. They don't sell Donic, XIOMs costs a fortune, no suitable Yasakas, the only other blade I see that might fit the bill is the Nittaku Rising. There is a XIOM Allround but it's heavy (88g).

Iskandar

Post subject: Re: Stiga blades
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 08:54 

Blade: DHS HK III
FH: Juic 999 Turbo 2.0
BH: Juic 999 Turbo 2.0
@Iskander, personally I don't think any of those blades you'll find outstandingly more "flexy" than a galaxy 896, galaxy mc-2 or a lkt toxic 3 and as for the pick of the stiga blades.. I like the stiga oc, you can tune it up or down nicely with choice of soft/ hard rubbers. Anyway I'll leave it to others to have their inputs from here, all the best.

HnG

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 09:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The allround classic is quite flexy. I'm not quite clear on what you're trying to achieve though? Are you trying to find a European equivalent (but more flexy) to one of your current blades?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 11:18 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Iskandar are you taking the approach of assuming that in general chinese blades aren't as flexy and even the most all-round or flexy blade like a W6 or N11 still isn't going to be as flexy as a European blade. For this reason you want something that is truly flexy as a reference point for the future?

I'm definitely no expert in this area but I understand that flex has a lot to do with thickness. The Stiga Allround classic I think is about 5.5mm whereas the Stiga Allround Evolution is 6.0mm. I currently use the evolution (82g ST) and find it fine as an allround blade but can't answer the question of flex as I'm not sure I can really notice. One thing I noted recently is that on Stigas speed/control scale, the Evolution is only one point different to the Offensive classic in terms of speed and control.

If I'm right with the above, I'd go with the Allround Classic because its thin, flexy and a classic.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 20:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, 5.5mm would be thinner than anything other than my Palio A08 (which I can bend more than my other blades, and which I personally don't like using). If the Allround Evolution is 6mm that puts it around the W6, and still thinner than the N11. Also explains why it's faster.

So it seems the Allround Classic would be the blade to buy. The best player in our club back in the 90s (rated about 1800) played with one, I remember one day the head just broke off. He said it had been vibrating more than usual as of late. I can't imagine a N11 or even a W6 doing this, so maybe it really would be a very different blade.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 20:08 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
I've had 3 Stiga All round Classics. First one was light at around 80 grams and then 2 heavier ones that were around 85-88 grams. The heavier ones played much better. The lighter one seriously lacked any power. Also had the offensive classic and didn't like it since it gave a hollow sound. It was too heavy at around 92 grams.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 02:11 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
They always used to have a slim neck, which was a little weak. I helped mine on its way by keep bashing it on my thigh in annoyance, a habit in my junior days. Inevitably hairline crack and extra vibration were the outcome.

185g

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 12:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I imagine the width of the neck would be one of the variables in whether a blade is "flexy" or not, since this is where any bending would take place.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 23:17 
Super User

I have too many blades. 3 are stiga. when I go and buy one in the store my contact will pull 1/2 a dozen blades and they all have different weights. I have an NCT VII Rosewood, Clipper CR, and the new Everald VPS V. All pen grip. What should I notice with each one I play? I'm not knowledgable as to the differences of each.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 23:33 
Super User

Iskandar - can you get hold of Joola?

I switched from W6 to Wing Medium, and am happy with that....similar feel.

The Stiga and Donic all rounds I don't find comparable to my W6....I am a looper. 3rd ball attack player. I find my Doic Apllegren All Round blades good for coaching / feeding, but that's all...for me.

I have the Donic WSC to try (as they sponsor me) - but I may end up going back to the W6....I have an N11, not tried it, but I think the W6 is best I have ever use, Wing medium is comparable, has nice shoulders (smooth) - but is nearly twice price. I wouldn't buy another while the W6 is around.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 01:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

No, neither local dealer carries Joola. They're a little expensive, too, from previous experience. I do have a W6, haven't had it out in a while.

Just remembered, if I want to buy the Stiga blade I'd better do it tomorrow - Thursday is Chinese New Year. Then I'd have to wait a week before they open again!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 13:25 
Super User

The W6 is basically the same blade as Yasaka Extra, which is made in sweden. Yinhe has slightly smoother finish but that's matter of preference.

Yasaka/Donic swedish blades are made at Woodhouse where Stigas used to be, and better quality than Stiga's new factory. For example, the Donic Sweden classic is very similar to Allround and better grain/finish etc.

I have a bunch of these slower blade and subjectively the appelgren ALL is probably the best feel. It does pretty much everything in TT well.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2020, 08:19 

Blade: Avalox Blue Thunder 555
FH: Palio cj8000 Biotech
BH: Palio cj8000 Biotech
Just a note to anyone reading. My 'Allround Evolution' is 5.5 mm and not 6 mm as some say.
In comparison my 'bt555' is 5.8 mm, which considered a flexy blade, so AEV is as well. They both have about exactly the same head size and shape.
Handle thickness is Also the same, but the shapes are a bit different.

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!