OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 05:50


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 03:56 
Offline
New Member
User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2010, 07:37
Posts: 29
Location: Boulder, CO
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Doesn't saliva only break down sugars? Does anyone know the specifics of what most rubbers are actually composed of? I guess I will let you guys know if anything changes but so far my method has been working amazingly. I tried water, takes much much longer for the racket to dry, effects seem pretty similar, maybe not quite as tacky as spit.

_________________
Xiom V1 ST
DHS H3 No.19 2.0
802-1 1.8


Top
 Profile  
 


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 13:51 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 05:18
Posts: 876
Location: The (Un)ited States
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 10 times
Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
Erhem, major thread revival here, I know, but it IS related. Would canola oil (pure canola, which is made from rapeseed) do as good of a job as olive oil? I want to revive a really old sheet of bryce, but I don't wanna mess it up....I know you guys always talk about olive oil, but I don't think we have any.....

_________________
Happy Holidays 'round the world!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 14:10 
Offline
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 12:34
Posts: 32636
Location: Adelaide, AU
Has thanked: 2027 times
Been thanked: 1331 times
Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I would guess it makes little difference which oil you use... I've used other vegatable oils and it still worked fine.

_________________
OOAK Table Tennis Shop | Re-Impact Blades | Butterfly Table Tennis bats
Setup1: Re-Impact Smart, Viper OX, Victas VS 401 Setup2: Re-Impact Barath, Dtecs OX, TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.0mm Setup3: Re-Impact Dark Knight, Hellfire OX, 999 Turbo
Recent Articles: Butterfly Tenergy Alternatives | Tenergy Rubbers Compared | Re-Impact User Guide


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 13:00 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 10 Aug 2011, 05:18
Posts: 876
Location: The (Un)ited States
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 10 times
Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
To report back, I just did it on the bryce! I left a very thin (maybe a little less than nickel sized) layer of canola oil (pure canola) on the rubber, left it for a couple minutes, came back and respread for a more even soaking, and let it dry. After that, I washed it off (a drop of dawn dishwashing liquid and plenty of water), and let it dry. (of course I dried all around the sponge with a paper towel) When it was done, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: It was VERY spinny!!!!! (before it was almost as smooth as glass, if you know what I mean) Though I wouldn't use this in a competition, it could save me some money in the long run, cuz I won't have to replace rubbers as often!

_________________
Happy Holidays 'round the world!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 21:05 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 21 Mar 2007, 15:49
Posts: 1566
Location: USofA
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 15 times
Images are not showing, only a red X, using Windows 7, any idea what settings I might have botched?
tOD

haggisv wrote:
After discussion on other threads here I decided to test some of the rubber cleaning techniques. I found an old rubber (Dawei Sprungfeder A-4) which has had a lot of use and is well worn. It's now totally non-tacky and has even lost a lot of it's grip... feels quite smooth.

Image

Image

Image[/img]

As you can see I have divided up the rubber into 4 sections with masking tape, each section can be treated with a different cleaner so that we can compare the results. I know water will not revive this rubber, so I won't use this as a test

The possible options are:
1. vegie oil as described in other thread
2. rubber cleaner foam
3. orange power cleaner
4. WD40
5. Other rubber cleaners (eg JUIC mini cleaner/rubber cleaner II)
6. Any others?

Unfortunately I don't have any spinmax, otherwise this would be a good test too. Option 1 is the main reason I want to do this experiment, but what would be the best other options... I'm open to suggestion...

Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 21:34 
Offline
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 12:34
Posts: 32636
Location: Adelaide, AU
Has thanked: 2027 times
Been thanked: 1331 times
Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
theOldDuffer wrote:
Images are not showing, only a red X, using Windows 7, any idea what settings I might have botched?tOD

Nothing you did... the pictures were posted on the old forum URL, and I had not properly re-directed it. Fixed! :oops:

_________________
OOAK Table Tennis Shop | Re-Impact Blades | Butterfly Table Tennis bats
Setup1: Re-Impact Smart, Viper OX, Victas VS 401 Setup2: Re-Impact Barath, Dtecs OX, TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.0mm Setup3: Re-Impact Dark Knight, Hellfire OX, 999 Turbo
Recent Articles: Butterfly Tenergy Alternatives | Tenergy Rubbers Compared | Re-Impact User Guide


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 21:36 
Offline
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 12:34
Posts: 32636
Location: Adelaide, AU
Has thanked: 2027 times
Been thanked: 1331 times
Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
THE GAMEr wrote:
To report back, I just did it on the bryce! I left a very thin (maybe a little less than nickel sized) layer of canola oil (pure canola) on the rubber, left it for a couple minutes, came back and respread for a more even soaking, and let it dry. After that, I washed it off (a drop of dawn dishwashing liquid and plenty of water), and let it dry. (of course I dried all around the sponge with a paper towel) When it was done, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party: It was VERY spinny!!!!! (before it was almost as smooth as glass, if you know what I mean) Though I wouldn't use this in a competition, it could save me some money in the long run, cuz I won't have to replace rubbers as often!

Great to hear it worked! :rock:

_________________
OOAK Table Tennis Shop | Re-Impact Blades | Butterfly Table Tennis bats
Setup1: Re-Impact Smart, Viper OX, Victas VS 401 Setup2: Re-Impact Barath, Dtecs OX, TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.0mm Setup3: Re-Impact Dark Knight, Hellfire OX, 999 Turbo
Recent Articles: Butterfly Tenergy Alternatives | Tenergy Rubbers Compared | Re-Impact User Guide


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011, 21:40 
Offline
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 23:16
Posts: 1325
Location: Somewhere out there!
Has thanked: 118 times
Been thanked: 34 times
Gneiss wrote:
To clean my rubber I have been spitting on it a few times, then rubbing it back and forth across the bottom of my forearm(not much hair there). It evaporates within 15 seconds and seems to be working fine, leaving the rubber clean and as tacky as original. Does anyone else do this? Are there certain rubbers this is not ok for? I have been using this method on red Solcion and black Tackiness Chop, but only starting a few weeks ago.


Don't use that green / yellow stuff!!!!! :lol:

_________________
_________________
Think, before you drink, before you write!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 18:30 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 08 Sep 2014, 17:55
Posts: 2
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Hi every1,

Don't know if this topic is stil alive but first of all, thx for al the previous testing(and the results) I will defently try the veggie oil (olive?)
And second of all... i'm from belgium and my englisch isn't always what it should be (I think)

I've found this thread while looking for a good(the best?) method to keep the rubbers in a good condition.

A shop here in belgium (well known in .be) is Francis TTshop (near Gent).
The owner is a former player and now growing older and cant play anymore... but still enjoying his work at the shop
Anyway he told me that the best way to keep the rubbers in a good condition (this is not for and old rubber wich u want to give a new life)
is a moist shammy
(don't know if its a correct translation... I use the shammy for cleaning windows/car, it can absorb a lot of water...)
make the shammy wet (not cold, not hot, lukewarm? water) and squeeze almost dry, then wipe off the rubbers.
This way the rubbers don't get really wet, just gives a thin moist layer wich drys/dries? quickly
This way you can clean it every week, without ruining? the rubbers or the wood.

My rubbers are only 2months old (old ones trown away...) and i must say till now everytime they feel like new..

Greetings from .be


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 20:39 
Offline
Blockhead
Blockhead
User avatar

Joined: 07 Jan 2009, 19:20
Posts: 2158
Location: UK
Has thanked: 82 times
Been thanked: 160 times
Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Hello Tats and welcome.

I think what you are referring to as a 'shammy' is actually a 'chamois' cloth / leather. Often used to dry cars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamois_leather

_________________
Timo Boll ALC ST
FH Tibhar Evolution MX-P Max
BH Tibhar Evolution FX-S 1.8
185g


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2014, 00:39 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 9567
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1166 times
You know, I wonder if Canola oil would "revive" that fake Tenergy.. :lol:

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2014, 02:10 
Offline
The King
User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 02:58
Posts: 792
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 56 times
For cleaning I'd still say wd40 is the best option, to restore/revive a rubber I highly recommend argan oil. Should be available at Turkish/middle east supermarkets. A bit on the expensive side though, 250 ml for about 14 euro here.

_________________
Competition bats:
Win-tec power def Tibhar 5Q sound Power Update 1.8 * Spinlord Agenda ox
TSP Balsa 3.5 Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound 1.8 * Grass D-tecs ox

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 15:42 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 12 Jan 2015, 15:20
Posts: 19
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Late addition to the thread if I may indulge...

I first tried Canola Oil back in 2007 on Hurricane 3 rubbers and found it quite good at restoring spin on old rubbers and comp bat.

Recently, I had an old practice bat with Accuda S3 rubbers that had dried out due to hot & dusty exposure. I usually just wash rubbers with a damp chamois but that was not doing the job on this bat. The red rubber in particular lacked grip and I could feel the ball slipping off the bat when trying for heavy spin serves. So I looked around for something / anything and gave it a spray with Selleys RP7 (basically the same thing as WD40). It worked better than slapping it with a wet rag (Chamois) but still lacked some permanency, thus my search and discovery of this thread.

Anyway, the result encouraged me enough to try the same thing on my comp bat (XIOM True Innovation / Hexer PS on Cornellieu soft carbon blade) but only the older XIOM rubber. Used it today for the first time and it seemed to restore spin back to my FH which had been missing in action in recent weeks. My results against 2 benchmark adversaries were better than usual but there were 2 other variables at play apart from the restored FH rubber. Some practice drills and the Hexer PS on the BH was a newish or newer rubber than my previous Hexer +.

As a last comment, I just sprayed some olive oil on the Accuda S3 rubbers and let them soak it up for 30 minutes. Both are looking better but I suspect the red rubber will need still more. I can still feel some small spots that lack grip.

Cheers
David

_________________
Davown
1. YinHe T1 T05 T80
2. Cornellieu All Round Hexer+ RITC755 1mm Blue Spg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 18:01 
Offline
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 12:34
Posts: 32636
Location: Adelaide, AU
Has thanked: 2027 times
Been thanked: 1331 times
Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum Davown2000 :up: :up: :up:
Davown2000 wrote:
Late addition to the thread if I may indulge...

I first tried Canola Oil back in 2007 on Hurricane 3 rubbers and found it quite good at restoring spin on old rubbers and comp bat.

Recently, I had an old practice bat with Accuda S3 rubbers that had dried out due to hot & dusty exposure. I usually just wash rubbers with a damp chamois but that was not doing the job on this bat. The red rubber in particular lacked grip and I could feel the ball slipping off the bat when trying for heavy spin serves. So I looked around for something / anything and gave it a spray with Selleys RP7 (basically the same thing as WD40). It worked better than slapping it with a wet rag (Chamois) but still lacked some permanency, thus my search and discovery of this thread.

Anyway, the result encouraged me enough to try the same thing on my comp bat (XIOM True Innovation / Hexer PS on Cornellieu soft carbon blade) but only the older XIOM rubber. Used it today for the first time and it seemed to restore spin back to my FH which had been missing in action in recent weeks. My results against 2 benchmark adversaries were better than usual but there were 2 other variables at play apart from the restored FH rubber. Some practice drills and the Hexer PS on the BH was a newish or newer rubber than my previous Hexer +.

As a last comment, I just sprayed some olive oil on the Accuda S3 rubbers and let them soak it up for 30 minutes. Both are looking better but I suspect the red rubber will need still more. I can still feel some small spots that lack grip.

Cheers
David

Patches with poor grip is a bit of a worry, as it implies that your rubber is a little patchy, so it might be hard to restore it to consistent grip across the whole rubber. Still it's always worth a try on an old rubber... nothing to lose. ;)

_________________
OOAK Table Tennis Shop | Re-Impact Blades | Butterfly Table Tennis bats
Setup1: Re-Impact Smart, Viper OX, Victas VS 401 Setup2: Re-Impact Barath, Dtecs OX, TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.0mm Setup3: Re-Impact Dark Knight, Hellfire OX, 999 Turbo
Recent Articles: Butterfly Tenergy Alternatives | Tenergy Rubbers Compared | Re-Impact User Guide


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 12:44 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 12 Jan 2015, 15:20
Posts: 19
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Quote:
Patches with poor grip is a bit of a worry, as it implies that your rubber is a little patchy, so it might be hard to restore it to consistent grip across the whole rubber. Still it's always worth a try on an old rubber... nothing to lose. ;)

.......


Agree the patches are a worry. They are occurring in the sweet spot which you expect and often see in well used rubbers. I gave the Acuda S3 rubbers a second spray of olive oil and left it to soak in. The black rubber has responded well and most of the red rubber but the patch of lost grip, whilst slightly diminished, is still there. But, this is just a practice bat and the rubbers are quite old so no major headache. I'll probably give it a third treatment shortly.

_________________
Davown
1. YinHe T1 T05 T80
2. Cornellieu All Round Hexer+ RITC755 1mm Blue Spg


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group