OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 15:56 

Given the immense popularity of the original Spinpips from TSP, I'm really surprised in that almost no one across the whole wide internet has tried 'Super Spinpips' (TSP's attempt at recreating Spinpips in a way that adheres to the ITTF's current aspect-ratio standards). I must have spent about an hour looking for a single piece of feedback on the rubber, and while a few people have tried it with the 21 sponge, I can't find any info on the normal Super Spinpips.

Although I have a setup that I'm quite happy with at the moment, I love TSP's rubbers enough that I'll probably have to buy a couple sheets at some point and see how it plays.

Until I do; I'd be extremely grateful if anyone who has used this rubber could chime in with a comment or two about its playing characteristics. Thanks

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2015, 21:10 

Tanto spin, molta spinta, derivante dalla "sponge" reattiva, si può eseguire il simil topspin di diritto essendo una delle gomme SP + grippanti, dicono che la "sponge" della spinpips sia utilizzata da He Zhi Wen incollata sull'802, ed è stato visto utilizzare la super spinpips (nera) ultimamente, è una gomma che inverte meno di tante altre (poco inganno), e si possono fare blocchi anche "passivi"..

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 08:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think the sponge under the regular Spinpips is the same as the 35deg one used for the Spectol rubber. I've not tried it though.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 08:47 

giovanni wrote:
Tanto spin, molta spinta, derivante dalla "sponge" reattiva, si può eseguire il simil topspin di diritto essendo una delle gomme SP + grippanti, dicono che la "sponge" della spinpips sia utilizzata da He Zhi Wen incollata sull'802, ed è stato visto utilizzare la super spinpips (nera) ultimamente, è una gomma che inverte meno di tante altre (poco inganno), e si possono fare blocchi anche "passivi"..

Thank you! Worth the minimal amount of effort required for me to run that through Google Translate.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2015, 08:50 

haggisv wrote:
I think the sponge under the regular Spinpips is the same as the 35deg one used for the Spectol rubber. I've not tried it though.

The regular Spinpips (banned) or the regular Super Spinpips? If you mean the latter, then nice; I do love the Spectol sponge for SP blocking and hitting. If it is the same though, I wonder why only Super Spinpips comes in the 1.9 ~ 2.1 thickness? (spectol is 1.7 ~ 1.9 or 2.15 ~ 2.2 with the exception being the 2.0mm thickness made specifically for Wang Tao)

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 14:40 

haggisv wrote:

So, I broke down and ordered TSP Super Spinpips. Typical of me, I know. I couldn't resist.

It certainly feels like the 35deg sponge of Spectol (and indicates it's 35degrees on the packaging!), and yet it feels like a different sponge. Its sponge is also a markedly darker-orange than all my sheets of Spectol (including a couple new sheets I just got in) when compared side by side. I'm gluing and cutting it tonight, and will have a brief hit with it tomorrow to see how it plays. Based on the look and feel of the topsheet, I'm VERY excited to try it out!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 22:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes I was only going by looks and hardness as well.

Hope you can make it work for you, will look forwards to your thoughts! :rock:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 15:19 

I WILL DEFINITELY give an in-depth review of this pip when I have a solid 30 - 45 mins to spend in the next few days, but let me at least say this: I am switching to TSP Super Spinpips. Nothing like the feeling of EJing actually paying off :D

Compared to tensor pips it is very slow (though still not slow by objective standards), which means that you'll actually have to win your points with a certain amount of skill (not the sort of one-and-done shot people associate with some SP players). The throw is also quite a bit higher than other pips I'm familiar with, like Yasaka T Original or Joola Tango/Express Ultra. However, the ball has a phenomenal effect of dipping back down onto the table consistently, on flat hits or on topspin drives. The best part is, once you calibrate the trajectory, you can increase the manpower on your shots and the amount of topspin increases proportionately with your power, allowing hard shots to still land on the table without producing so much topspin that its easy for your opponent to return. (I believe the conical pip shape (wide at the base, narrower at the top) is the reason that such a variety of spin/no spin shots can be played with accuracy. This is why the original Spinpips was banned, and while the updated version is not so exaggerated in that regard, it still functions as it should in that topspins carry surprising amounts of spin from the grippy sides, while flat hits are quite dead, and hitting through spin is very easy).

Also, this is the first short pip I've used that when emulating Johnny Huang's strokes, I play extremely successfully! Johnny Huang has that forward-and-up stroke on all of his shots, which while still not as full as the stroke of an inverted loop, are still strokes (contradicting many peoples' opinion on SPs that the best way to use them is to have the shortest stroke possible and simply slap the ball). With the Super Spinpips, the Johnny Huang sort of stroke makes many (even out of position) shots land on the table hard and fast, and while they aren't fast enough to put away shots with only speed and no skill, they enable someone who enjoys control to play their game to the fullest.

Very, very happy :D

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 16:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Sounds very promising! :up:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 13:53 

Sorry for the delay; I have been busier than I ever could have imagined the last week and a half.. I've barely had time to eat, and given that I'm still seriously TT training, my sleep has been seriously compromised :|

That said I've finally found a free half-hour, so I'll get on the TSP Super Spinpips review.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!