OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 23:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
NextLevel wrote:
I don't think it has anything to do with going away from your best stroke, per se. I lost points from July 2013 to July 2014, all the while improving, primarily for two reasons - I hadn't matured in the game that I planned to play, and the game I planned to play took some things away from the game I used to play.

Sometimes, it is good to give up your best stroke if you cannot integrate it into a game that you can see taking you further. I gave up my backhand smash so that I could backhand loop - I have not regretted it since, especially against backspin. I used to get compliments on my backhand smash, but I don't miss it anymore.

Immediately I got more comfortable attacking serves and using my forehand, my rating started to go up, but I still had a tendency not to stroke freely when playing lower rated players. I have changed that and accepted that as long as I play smart and do good strokes, competing is more important than winning or losing. I just want to feel that when I lose, I wasn't losing because I didn't go for my shots. I accept losing that way much better than losing while trying to play it safe.

My guess is that you enjoy the chopping game, but I can't move around, and I don't like letting people hit the ball at me at their own discretion.

You have some very valid points. One observation is that I "could not seem to make up my mind" about playing offence or defence. That will also be a big issue if I stay with SP and try to integrate chopping, particularly since I can attack with the SP side now in a way I could not before.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 23:36 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
vanjr wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
I don't think it has anything to do with going away from your best stroke, per se. I lost points from July 2013 to July 2014, all the while improving, primarily for two reasons - I hadn't matured in the game that I planned to play, and the game I planned to play took some things away from the game I used to play.

Sometimes, it is good to give up your best stroke if you cannot integrate it into a game that you can see taking you further. I gave up my backhand smash so that I could backhand loop - I have not regretted it since, especially against backspin. I used to get compliments on my backhand smash, but I don't miss it anymore.

Immediately I got more comfortable attacking serves and using my forehand, my rating started to go up, but I still had a tendency not to stroke freely when playing lower rated players. I have changed that and accepted that as long as I play smart and do good strokes, competing is more important than winning or losing. I just want to feel that when I lose, I wasn't losing because I didn't go for my shots. I accept losing that way much better than losing while trying to play it safe.

My guess is that you enjoy the chopping game, but I can't move around, and I don't like letting people hit the ball at me at their own discretion.

You have some very valid points. One observation is that I "could not seem to make up my mind" about playing offence or defence. That will also be a big issue if I stay with SP and try to integrate chopping, particularly since I can attack with the SP side now in a way I could not before.

This is what my blog is about :)
It is always difficult to decide weather to attack or defend. One thing is what you can do in every stroke. Another thing is what will cause your opponnet problem. A third thing is what is most fun :).
I have to say that the many choises of different strokes that comes with SP is both frightening and inspiring. Since I just changed from LP it feels more natural to examine the defensive strokes first. But on the other hand, the main reasons for changing was spin manipulation and attacking ability, so that is what I am eager to try.
One way to do it is to decide how to play against your current opponent and this particular game. Evaluate after the first set and change if you like :) But stick to one gameplan each set is my advice.

Alsl, I found 799 also nice for chopping (much more forgiving) but chops had less spin. And 802 is much more easy to attack with. I think 802 has a little more spin reversal, at lest on low impact. And it makes returns that are difficult to read for opponent.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 16:22 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
In my experience, the traditional way to decide whether to attack or defend is simple: figure out what troubles your opponent the most and do it. Most defenders start by playing defence exclusively and only attack when their opponent shows that they are comfortable playing against defence/chop. Some mix attacks in every 3 or 4 serves. However, a defender should think of himself as a chameleon, changing his colors to adapt to the terrain, moreso than an attacker, who wants to change the terrain to one of his liking.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 22:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Of course I follow Defattacks blog closely. I am not as good as he is. I do attack more than he does. Indeed I want to be the playear who does a 3rd ball attack on my serve, chop only on some points and Ed a few points by attacking the lose ball occasionally.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 22:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Just checked it out. He is a better player than myself as well ;).

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2015, 05:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Last night I used TSP superspin pips 2 chop in 1-1.3 sponge on a yinhe LQ-2 blade as a new set up and 799 on 1.2 or so soft 25 sponge from Cole with a darker 7 ply def blade.

I was able to block a little better with the spinpips. I thought 799 gave a funny ball back on blocking. In terms of chopping they were similar. RIght now my SP chopping goal is PURELY get the ball on the table. Later I will work with placement and spin variation.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 06:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

2015 Going to SP on BH

I do not think I have clearly stated one of the things that going to SP on my BH will do for me. I do believe as I go to it that for me I have said, "I cannot compete with young hot shot players or players above USATT rated above 2000". I recognize that this will limit my improvement and my game. I know it does not do that for a lot of you and that many players use SP at a very, very high level. However I am trying to be a SP chopper on BH with the ability to attack to a small degree but generally be passive. I see this as limiting my highest possible level, however there are other factors that are even more limiting (age, time available to practice, competition available locally).

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2015, 07:12 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
vanjr wrote:
2015 Going to SP on BH

I do not think I have clearly stated one of the things that going to SP on my BH will do for me. I do believe as I go to it that for me I have said, "I cannot compete with young hot shot players or players above USATT rated above 2000". I recognize that this will limit my improvement and my game. I know it does not do that for a lot of you and that many players use SP at a very, very high level. However I am trying to be a SP chopper on BH with the ability to attack to a small degree but generally be passive. I see this as limiting my highest possible level, however there are other factors that are even more limiting (age, time available to practice, competition available locally).

Why is that? Could you be a little more specific :)

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 00:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Def-attack wrote:
vanjr wrote:
2015 Going to SP on BH

Why is that? Could you be a little more specific :)

Specifically I do not move as well as I once did. I do not cover the court as well. By going to SP from double inverted I certainly will need to cover more of the court with my legs than I did.

Now if I learn to combine a hitting/blocking game with SP chopping I may come out close. But by going to SP I am saying "I am getting old, I need to slow the game down and not "out-athletic" my opponent" any more.

Just a brief note to anyone thinking about going to SP chopping-I find the usual defensive blades INFINITELY easer to chop with and control the ball over the off minus blades I was using to play double inverted. For me both LQ-2 and LQ-1 (need more time w LQ-1) are good as is the darker 7 play DEF blade I have.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 01:55 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Vanjr,

What is your current level and what are your general goals?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 03:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

http://papayanopoulos.com/cgi-bin/ttspin?rm=ViewP&pid=48914

me on ttspin

Goal-become a good all around player who is competitive in every match I play. Sounds vague when i write it. It used to be to get a rating of 2000. peaked at 1898 in Jan 2011. Went from to LP in fall of 2004 and went back to double inverted in late Jan 2013. Just went to SP on BH this month.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 07:41 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

vanjr wrote:

me on ttspin

Goal-become a good all around player who is competitive in every match I play. Sounds vague when i write it. It used to be to get a rating of 2000. peaked at 1898 in Jan 2011. Went from to LP in fall of 2004 and went back to double inverted in late Jan 2013. Just went to SP on BH this month.

Do you have a coach and/or practice partners? You seem to have given up even though the old goal is quite reachable.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 11:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
vanjr wrote:

me on ttspin

Do you have a coach and/or practice partners? You seem to have given up even though the old goal is quite reachable.

We have one guy who can coach but who is mainly playing-he is over 1800. No active players above 1800s. I am not sure the goal is reachable without better practice partners and being over 50 years old. Not with a very heavy work schedule, 5 kids, etc, etc.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 16:56 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

vanjr wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
vanjr wrote:

me on ttspin

We have one guy who can coach but who is mainly playing-he is over 1800. No active players above 1800s. I am not sure the goal is reachable without better practice partners and being over 50 years old. Not with a very heavy work schedule, 5 kids, etc, etc.

Ah, okay. Yeah, reality bites. I think you have the perfect setup to do what you want to do. The main problem is that you have to figure out how to be more aggressive on service return and loop return. IF you get good serves and fix those two problems, usually, 2000 is possible. However, what I found was the biggest problem for me was service return - giving my opponent easy 3rd attack got me into the most trouble, but I got my backhand return good enough to attack most short serves and since most players probe the backhand with their service, that gave me lots of free points. The other problem was that you can't give the kids too much time - you need to be able to block them left and right at the table. IF you can counter or smash their opening loop rather than just block it, even better. The pips will be your best friend if you can dead ball block with it because too many players like topspin.

You can't do it as a chopper, but as a blocker, it is quite feasible. As you get better, it is tough for people to make mistakes if you don't pressure them. That is probably why your game struggles against the people you want to beat. That you chop is really important (I can't chop at all, but I find that sometimes, you don't need quality backspin to trouble people who cannot loop it), but if you add the blocking and hitting game, I think it will help you a lot. You have to take it to your opponent - waiting for your opponent to make a mistake without pressure will not do it.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 23:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Well I have not been writing in this blog much. I do seem to have settled on equipment issues. I am staying with slow, thinner sponge on my BH with either 802 on 1.0 dead sponge by cole or super spinpips 2 on 1.0 chop sponge. Both play pretty similarly with the ability to chop, block and hit to some degree.

Now I need to focus of something to improve on. It is kind of hard to focus as there are so many areas. I do think I should focus first on my BH. I can block well with it and chop well with it. But what to do with the "nothing" ball deep to my BH? I have no answer for that.

It does seem the more I learn that my game does not improve. I still beat the same few players in my club and lose to the same few players.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next