OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2015, 01:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Very quick Reb Report. Still 100% after tonights 3 matches, taking the tally to 24 wins. Team won 8-3 tonight, equal with our worst win. Looks like the final is set with 2 rounds to go. My team will play Najay's team by the looks of it. They beat the next team rivalling them tonight 7-4 to go to 20 points on the ladder with the rival at 12 (we are on 32). We have to play both teams in the final 2 rounds. I have 6 players left to defeat to finish the season perfectly, but I think all of them are capable of beating me. We shall see!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2015, 19:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Keep up the good work Reb, you can do it! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2015, 23:17 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

haggisv wrote:
Keep up the good work Reb, you can do it! :up: :up: :up:

Thanks mate, but something went disastrously wrong last night. I lost ALL my singles matches. ;(

We played the team we will play in the final. I lost two matches in fifth set...one at 14-12. The other I lost 3-1 to Najay. We still won the night as we won both doubles (so I was playing that badly :oops: ) and our youngest won his 3 and my other teamy won one match. But we only won 6-5, instead of the usual 10-1.

It was just amazing that Id gone 8 rounds without losing a match and lost all 3 in one night. I cant really put my finger on what went wrong either. I think my focus was a little down. I think the other team were out to prove something and wanted it so much more, whereas after cruising for so long I was unready for such an attack. Anyway, better to happen now than in the final. I'll be out to make amends when we play the final :swear:

So one more week of matches to go before the final. Hopefully itll give me a chance to get my head straight and take some wins again to build confidence before the big night.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2015, 19:33 

Reb,you guys beat all the teams pretty badly until we decided to fight hard. We tried to prove to ourselves that we could beat the top team, although we lost 5-6 this time. In a sense, it was a victory given the fact that we lost 10-1 last time. We believe that we can fight harder next time and get that extra match from you guys.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2015, 23:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Najay wrote:
Reb,you guys beat all the teams pretty badly until we decided to fight hard. We tried to prove to ourselves that we could beat the top team, although we lost 5-6 this time. In a sense, it was a victory given the fact that we lost 10-1 last time. We believe that we can fight harder next time and get that extra match from you guys.

Haha, good to see you are keeping up with the forum and my blog Najay! I know you guys fought hard this week, but I think it was a strategically bad move. You put a rocket up us and took us out of the lull we had drifted into. Next week we will come back fighting and kicking ourselves into shape so we are ready for the all important final week where we meet you again. I think you should have laid down this week and left the sneak attack for the final, but if you do manage to do even better than you did this week, I will have no trouble in heartily congratulating you as you will have been made fully earn it ;)

In the famous words of Shakespeare...Lay on Mcduff!! :P

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2015, 19:49 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Well we played the final on Monday and despite Najay's confidence that his team would pull off a miracle to beat us....we won!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Najays team made a poor start losing the 1st 4 matches and then opened their account (Najays teamy beat me :oops: ). Our youngun then beat Najay to take us to 5-1. My "Retriever" teammate then went down to Najays other teamy 3-0 keeping their hopes alive.

My Retriever teamy and I then played the second doubles and beat Najay and what Id call their best player (the one who beat me) 3-0. Given I usually take a role to set up my doubles partner, playing doubles with a retriever is not too easy. However he and I played doubles 8 times in the season and only lost once, so we didn't do too badly, although I won 10 from 10 with the youngun. Anyway, the win gave us the 6 matches we needed to close out the final win.

I also won 2 matches on my last night of the season to snare Leading Player, so in the end I pulled off a 5 medal win season. Not bad for an unorthodox pips player with a dicky knee lol :lol:

Attachments:
Snap_2015.04.08 20.03.07_001.png
Snap_2015.04.08 20.03.07_001.png [ 779.43 KiB | Viewed 1955 times ]

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2015, 07:42 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Well done and congratulations on your accomplishments, Reb!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2015, 18:39 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Nice work Reb! :)

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2015, 23:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thanks guys. I went down for a hit tonight and ended up playing around 30 sets. Most TT I think Ive played in a while continuously. I played Sahmaniac for quite a few and having switched from anti to 2x inverted, I think his game has become more dangerous. He needs to though as his team won A3 and is headed back to A2. I also played my teammate from 2 seasons ago who played in A3 still last season and I was still just as competitive with him as ever (about 50/50 or a bit better with him) and I think he had improved. Also had some games with Najay. Najay is making a serious effort to move to medium pips and I was beating him easily while using them for about 5 or 6 sets until my fuel tank ran dry and he won 3 sets in a row from me as the fumes from my tank burned out :lol: Najay is almost 60 I think and I swear he watches energiser bunny commercials all through his spare time. :envy: :P

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 14:53 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Playing my first Vets tourney tomorrow in the MSAC Closed. Will be good to see a lot of friends I haven't seen for quite some time. Will be a tiring day I know this much lol. I never play my best on days like this as its too exhausting for me, but I enjoy the social side.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 23:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Played my exhausting tournament yesterday and won division 4 playing the final against the guy who won division 3. I got put of of div 3 in the 2nd round 11-9 in the 5th set by someone I've played a handful of times and never lost to before. I gained 506 rating points in ratings central for the one days play lol. (mind you I dropped 350 points in one match on it last year lol), which is what let me play div 4 agai after years of being ineligible.

Having exhausted myself yesterday I played league tonight in our season opener and lost 2/3 matches and we lost both doubles. So we went down 6-5 for the night. I think we'd have won tonight if I hadn't played yesterdays tourney, but it was good to see some old mates I haven't seen for ages, like PingpongRob, Bluesmartie68, Arlene and GR (plus a stack of non-forum mates too of course).

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 21:48 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Been a while since I had anything of great interest to report, but I figure the progres of this season is probably worth a mention. My Monday and Thursday teams are both enjoying a modicum of success. On Monday's my 3 man A3 team has won 6 out of 8 rounds and we sit 2nd on the ladder with 2 rounds to go. Personally I'm sitting on 75% win ratio after 24 matches. We need to win next week and win or lose closely in the last week as we will play 3rd place who can still displace us from the final if they win next week and thrash us in round 10.

In my 2 man team on Thursdays, my teamy and I are undefeated for the 7 rounds of the season so far. so I think we may already be guaranteed the final...or one more win would seal i for sure. Im sitting on 65%, while my partner is up around 85%. The great thing about us though, is the night's he has lost a singles, I've won both mine, and we usually win doubles. So we compliment each other pretty well.

Anyway, that's it for the update...I'll probably do another one and report how we go in our finals campaigns.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 02:03 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Haven't had internet for over a week thanks to my router somehow throwing away all its settings suddenly and the ISP taking it's time to get back to me in support. Finally got it all back today, so I figred I'd throw in a brief update here given I played 2 Grand Finals this week on Monday and Thursday (last night kinda - as its officially Saturday AM now lol).

Anyway, on Monday we played a team who had beaten us the one time we played them in the season 7-4. Its my old teammates team and I think they were fairly confident to take us, and we weren't very sure of ourselves at all. They had one change to their team, which was a fill-in they'd qualified during the season while the player absent for the final had been sick (and he went OS just before the final). The fill-in was someone I've played before, but not for ages...and I'd never beaten him before! This got me a bit nervy to say the least. I filled out our order and sure enough, I had to play this guy first up (talk about the deep end :lol: ). The guy is an Asian penholder, and I don't relish playing penholders ever. To my surprise (and the opposition team's surprise) I took the first set off him 11-4. He got his act together better in the second set, but I still took him down 11-7. In the third set he lead me all the way out to 9-6, but then I pegged him back point by point to 9 all and my serve. Gave him a topspin to his BH from my BH and twiddled and smashed the return he put to my FH. 10-9 to me. Next point I did the same thing really hoping for the same result, but he returned better. We rallied until he netted a misjudgment off the pips and I had him 3-0. I was rejoicing and triumphant with fist pumps to my teamies (after I'd shaken his hand of course).

My retriever teammate played next and went down 3-0 to my old teammate.

The youngun on our team then piped in with a very hard fought 3-2 win against their "wall" player who just gets everything back until you error most the time. The youngun and I then teamed for the doubles and recorded a 3-1 win, much to our pleasure, as we haven't done too well in doubles this season period.

So with a 3-1 lead I was keen to keep our tally rising. I played my old teamy who I've beaten the last few times we've met, but only narrowly, and he beat me several times previous to that. He took an early lead and shot out to 9-5 and things looked grim. I held my nerve and took it back to 9 all and then 10-9 up. I went for an attack to snatch the set and missed giving deuce to him. I got the ascendency at each point in the deuce, but he kept levelling it back. My feeling is if you do this too much you end up being the chaser in the end and that rarely turns out well. Luckily for me I still took the set 14-12. Not so lucky, he re-doubled his efforts in the next set and took it easily from me 11-6. He also took the 3rd set at 11-9 to take a 2-1 lead. I'd been playing to his weaker FH (which actually does have some strengths in the weird topspin he can generate from his own brand of loop, but it still less consistent). Unfortunately, his topspin had caused me to block long too many times (mainly off the pips). In the 4th set, I still went to his FH a lot, but I switch him out wide to the BH to take him off balance. The trouble in playing this guy is he is a flat hitter on both wings, and he can belt the crap out of anything a bit long or even slightly high and you're way on the backfoot when he does. His best smashes come from his BH but his FH is still very dangerous. But I wasn't letting him smash on me, and when I switched him to his BH it was with good angle and short, and I got him to net the returns quite a bit. I pulled the set out 11-8 to even it up at 2 all. So the final set came up and I'd decided I wasn't going to attack him as I'd missed way too many. I played the entire set pretty much of the pips, just working it around, varying the spin and placement to keep him on his toes and made his attacks hard to carry out. This way paying dividend as I turned 5-3 up and had already taken a point or 2 from him missing smashes he'd tried. We had several rallies after this that he eventually mis-read the spin and pushed it long, or tried to drive and went long. I also got him to net a couple from the BH side I'd switched him to. From 5-3, I raced out to 8-4 and kept on his hammer with my strategy and took him down 11-4. What relief! Now we were 4-1 up, with our youngun to play the penholder next.

I scored the next match and had my heart in my mouth the entire match as it hung on a knife's edge. They went to the 5 set wire, and my teamy only managed to snare it for sure deep in the set, even though he turned 5-1. I think he was quite nervy and kept missing his bread and butter loops. He did eventually win though. So we were now 5-1 up in the match score and needed one more match to win.

Our retriever teamy played their "wall" next and again went down 3-0. So they got to 5-2 on us.

My retriever teamy and I played doubles next. We weren't sure who to play with him in doubles, as we've not either had great success with him as he tends to set up the opposition players for smashes, which he returns in singles, but in doubles this is not so easy to do when you are also trying toi negotiate your way around him as well. Anyway, I ended up deciding to play and rest our youngun up for his last singles, which was directly after the doubles. We lost the doubles 3-1 and maybe it was a bad decision, not sure.

So now we were 5-3 up and our youngun had to play my ex-teamy. This match was as much a battle of nerves for both of them (not to mention all their teammates :lol: ) as it was a game of TT. Once again, the match went down to the wire of the fifth set with our youngun taking the lead out to 10-7 as we swallowed every breath hard. But that point just didn't want to come to end the match and at 10-9 a rally ensued that just went on and on. Finally my ex-teamy netted it and we could hardly believe we finally had this beast beaten down for the victory!! :clap: So we'd won the final we didn't rate ourselves much of a chance for.

Last night's final was every bit as nerve wrecking too! I won't go into so much detail, but basically I lost the first match 4-2 to a guy I probably hold a slight edge over, but he's no easy win for me. I did get back to 2 all from 2 sets down, but lost the 5th set 13-11 to build his confidence in the 6th.

My teamy was doing the next match tough against an opponent he'd usually beat with reasonable ease. In fact the match went into the 7th set and the opponent served at 9-10 down as my partner finally had grabbed the lead but was again being pegged back. To our great relief, the opponent served the ball about an inch long of the table to hand us the match 11-9 in the 7th. Match score: one all.

My teamy now played the guy I lost to and the opponent was playing like he was possessed. My partner took him down easily during the season, and now this guy tore him apart taking him 4-1. match score 2:1.

Now I had to play the little flat-hitter who was playing an unusually patient game. Usually he's fairly easy to beat as he rushes his attacks and fouls a lot up from it. Tonight he was returning everything calmly until he could attack and then his attacks had been angled wide and spot on. Fortunately, I'd seen the way he played my partner and was prepared for the way he was playing. It didn't make it a walk in the park, but I used his game against him to push him to error. I lost to him during the season, but my knee had been in serious drama and I couldn't move at all. The weather has warmed up since then and a little relief to the knee has come and I have been able to move a little better...and what a difference it makes. He asked me how my knee was before the game, and I said "oh, its fine now". He looked worried lol (I've only lost to him twice ever from many,many matches and its been when I've had physical problems beyond my normal ones). Anyway, the upshot was I beat him 4-1 and took us into the doubles for a decider.

They won the first and things looked grim for us. We picked up our game though, and their game dropped as ours rose. They started bickering at one another about their mistakes and that just kept us ascending. One of them was ready to tear the others throat out as we approached our 4-1 victory and we sealed the 5th set at 11-6. The premiership was ours!! :party: :party:

So, 2 premierships from 2 finals for the season. Can't do any better than that. Not a bad result ;)

Back up to the big boys grades next season of A2 on Mondays and A1 on Thursday I think. Success will come in different measure next season I feel :?: |(

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 23:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

So, I'm now back to playing in the big leagues in A2 on Mondays and A1 on Thursdays. I've played in both grades before, but they're a tough gig. The Thursday night A1 is quite strong, mainly composed of players from A1 on Mondays, while my partner is still playing Monday A3 (although he's at least as strong as I am I'd say). Monday A2 is not quite as strong as the last time I played it, but after 2 rounds there, I've still only won just 1 singles from 6 (and 2 doubles). Unfortunately 3 of the 5 lost matches, I went down 11:8, 11:9 and 11:9 in the 5th set of each match respectively. Competitive, but still losses. Last season I had won 5 from 6 in A3 at this point. Last Thursday night I lost one match 4:0 and the other 4:2. I was fairly happy with the 4:2 as I lost 2 or 3 sets in deuce. But it may be the closest I'll come to a win for the season. My partner went down 4:0 and 4:1 as well. We lost the doubles 11-8 in the 7th set. So a 5-0 loss to begin with and it doesn't augur well for us to go far in the season.

I think I am going to just use the season to find ways to improve my game in whatever ways I can. I'm hampered by injury,so its difficult to find things to improve on now. In fact, I feel I have hit a peak for several years now and I just hover within the band of that peak, beating the low hanging fruit of it, now and then snaring some from the middle, but never really troubling the fruit in the band's treetop.

The only way I will ever truly benefit from these experiences in top grades will be to stay there long enough to actually lift to the level of the grade properly...which needs a good amount of time to evolve....many seasons. And even then I don't know if I can crack through the plateau I've been sitting on. I just can't see, besides further increasing consistency (which only takes you so far), any way to do it.

Anyway, that's where my head and TT is at this season. Anyone with similar experience or other ideas, feel free to chime in.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 01:30 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Its been a while since I wrote anything in here, so I think as it was our first night of the 2016 TT year tonight, it appropriate to do an update.

Unfortunately, even though my team finished 5th from 8 in A2 (2nd division) of my club last season, we got relegated back to A3 (3rd division). We had our best player decide to take a season or more off, so I guess they decided our new player isn't strong enough to bolster us in that division. I don't care too much, although there were players left in A2 who had very poor records last season. Hopefully their time will be marked though.

So anyway, I started the night out playing a guy who beat me last time I played him (can't recall when, but it was more than one season ago - so maybe last September or so). so I was quite happy to pull out a 3-0 win against him (4,9,6) first up. Our new player then proceeded to narrowly pull up a 3-2 win on his first opponent (also a guy I lost to when I last played him, about June last year).

Then we took our first loss as our retriever teammate (call him T2) lost to their elderly (mid 60's) anti player, going down 3-1. My new lefty teammate (call him T1) and I went down 2-0 in the doubles (doubles has been a best of 3 for some time now to speed up the night). So the team score was 2 all.

Next, T1 played the guy I'd already played and beat him 3-1. I followed on to play the old anti player who I've had many encounters with in the past. In the first set, he found a way under my skin and produced an 11-7 win. This put the wind up me a bit, as I do find this guy awkward, even if I haven't lost to him for about 4 years or more (but he has come real close at times). I took the 2nd set in a tight 11-9, took the 3rd set a little more easily around 11-6 and then closed him out at 11-8 in the 4th. So we had the team score looking more healthy again at 4-2.

From there though, we lost the next 3 matches. My 2 teammates lost a singles each, and T2 and I lost the 2nd doubles 2-1 with an 11-9 in the third set....so close! This put us down on the team score at 5-4 now.

T2 played the first guy I played as his last match and was complaining of back pain. As a retriever, not being able to move fluidly is a BIG disadvantage. If he loses this match, we lose the night.....no matter what I do in my last match. He starts out and loses the 1st set big time, like 11-3. He was playing into his opponents strength, setting up the guys BH. I told him to play to the guy's FH where he is far less consistent. He takes my advice and low and behold wins the set 11-7. He goes into the 3rd set and I think he'll now remember what to do....but he doesn't and gets belted again. :headbang: So I give him a reminder for the next set, which is do-or-die. He performs the right strategy again, and comes out with an 11-6 win. So the match is 2 all and into the 5th. This time he seems to remember the right play and streets out to a 10-4 lead. But the guy he's playing pulls himself together and plays safer until he gets good putaways and suddenly the score is back to 10-8. Luckily after a rally in the next point of lob-safe return-lob-safe return-lob the opponent goes for a smash and goes long by a foot. So we tie up the team score at 5 all and Reb is required to play the decider for the team....NO PRESSURE :whew: :lol:

So, I'm up against a guy who beat me last time I played him and who I've seen play pretty well all night. I was trying to remember his strengths and weaknesses as I shaped up to play him and I really couldn't think much beyond his Fh loop being his strongest weapon...so try avoiding that. Of course this lead me playing to his BH a lot, but also I sent a quite a few very under-spinny blocks off the pips to his FH which he looped into the net. I took the 1st set 11-4. The 2nd set was a lot harder and he got a lot more of his FH loop into the game, stepping around a lot more, but my pip blocking was equal to most of it and I hit quite a few FH'sof my own past or through him. I took the 2nd set 11-7. The third set, I just simply belted him off hitting pip shots that set up my FH and I didn't miss anything (and I mean anything). I even sent a fast pips push into his BH body and it hit his shirt before he could get the bat to it. I finished it out 11-1. Have to say I was pretty happy with myself taking this guy down as easily as I did, when I felt he was a real chance to beat me.

So we won 6-5, despite losing both doubles. I love starting a season off on 100%. I simply can't do that in 2nd division. So I figure I'll make hay from the drop down of a division, and hopefully earn our way back there next season....or at leastmaybe take out leading player in A3, something I've come close to before, but never actually achieved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!